Monaro Stearing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Drewpee

Hi guys. Does anyone know where I can get a smaller pulley for my power stearing pump. I'm using the original power steering box from the HQ (monaro). At idle it just doesn't have the guts but at higher revs it works fine.

Attachments

• GT400001 (Small).jpg
    GT400001 (Small).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 33
No not yet, that will be my last resort. The engine/pump is only 50k old makes no noise and has no leaks. The box has been rebuilt (not to much change from $500 bucks.) so no probs there. I was thinking that maybe the 30/40 year old low teck box may need moore grunt to run than a modern rack.

Have a look in the output port of the pump.

There's a restrictor in there.

Try removing it and see what happens.

OK pumps now working fine, some dipstick(ME) had put the flow control valve in back wards. I swear when I put it together the first time it looked much better backwards.....

Thanks so is yours. Yep the uz is stock with a supra 5 speed and hydraulic clutch kit from CRS. The Monaro is a HJ, LS that I've driven for the last 14 years with a clapped out 253/trimatic combo.
I've had the uz in for two years without power steering or air con but decided to fix the body up and make it more enjoyable to drive for the wife and kids. I had a HQ coupe with a prem front end about twenty three years ago and think the HQ front suits the shape much better than the HJ does (what do you think?). Now the wife finds it embarrassing with so many people staring and shouting out(You must get the same thing).
I like what you have done with yours and would love to turbo mine one day one day but have to ask myself do I really need to get the kids to school that quickly?

Yep brackets look pretty rough along with the wiring. I still need to round it off and paint it. I'm putting the battery in the boot at the moment, along with a surge tank(just waiting for ali fuel line).
That said every thing works fine and I'm proud of the fact I've done the hole car ( rust removal, 2pak paint,engine,w58 gearbox,retro-fitting power windows including new mechanism/ rollers, rebuild wrecked 8 way power seats from CV8 monaro/Pontiac GTO and more) myself in the back yard shed. I live 500kms from the nearest capital city and had a budget of only $15000 for the hole project. I,m a full time carer (disabled son+ three other kids) and have no trade training at all. All this and the car is a daily driver (it was off the road for about 6 weeks).
Anyway thats my story, yawn...I encourage any one to have a go at any thing, but listen to all advice but don't be afraid of doing things a little different.

I drove it as a blue HJ for 14 years. As far as the engine fit goes I did alot of research before I started. The biggest prob was when I got a half cut sent over from Queensland. When it got here I was horrified too find it was a wreck. The front of the car was smashed back over the motor. All the good stuff, radiator, fan, power steering, oil cooler and lots more were mashed. It took me a day and a bit to cut the motor out as I couldn't get to any bolts. I then discovered the air flow meter was gone. I had to wait months to afford all the bits that should have been on the cut.When I did start I fitted it to a wrecked ute chassis and got it all sorted. Man I was a happy boy when it first fired up with only the cats as a exhaust and a coffee jar as a fuel tank. It then only took about 5 days to fit into the m
Monaro. Budget blown out to about $6000. It was a year later I stripped the car for bare metal respray. I'm not sure where all the rest of the money went but old cars and conversions have a habit of sucking up money. Sorry for rambling, but there aren't to many people I know that like cars like I do. This site is like therapy for petrol heads.