Major purchase decision.. SC400 or SC300?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

spf_lexus

Ok, to start off most of you know I have my LS470 project still going and have a second LS400 as my daily. I don't mind driving 2 LS400's around but i would be much happier if i could swap it out for an SC. I need a fun daily driver and I have narrowed it down to an SC, but cannot decide on the engine. I am leaning towards the sc300 with a 5-speed if i can find one for 5k or buy an auto SC400. I have a month of school left and plan to pick it up and pay it off over summer break. I have $4-5K to play with.

SC300 advantages:

-Already boost ready
-enormous aftermarket support (my walled will be on a hunger strike for sure)
-Cheaper to get into (auto trans of course)

SC400 advantages:

-boost ready once it's rebuilt lol.
-lighter, better weight distribution
- it's a 1uz...
-much better exhaust note
-more power potential from stock fuel system

Anyone know how much boost/HP the 2jz (non VVt) fuel system can take with just a RRFMU and a walbro? i really would like to slap a garage built single turbo setup onto it and run it at 7psi like I did before on my LS. not too worried about the weak factory tune, I made it more than a year with my FMU w/o any issues.

Also, if i decided to swap an auto to a stick, can someone ballpark me the total for all the parts?

The SC400 plans are to keep it N/A (for now) but add Rush long tube headers, full 2.25" exhaust and a straight runenr manifold.

Any opinions fellas?

Last edited:
My friend, allow me to steer you towards the SC300. That way you get to play with both the 2JZ and the 1UZ. It has the benefits of cheap, easy and readily available parts too.

Thanks Thermactor that was my thinking too. I REALLY want the rare 5-speed but they start at 5k and only go up. I suppose if swapping the 5-speed from an auto is a bolt on procedure... i may just pick up a cheap sc300 auto and use the savings for the manual swap. Since it came 5-speed from the factory, it must be possible to source all the parts from junkyards/aftermarket and piece it together. I'm guessing all the clutch pedal bolt holes ETC are all still there from the factory?

Mostly thinking out loud right now, I easily get emotional with car purchases so it's best to keep it real until early May when i'm back in Socal.

Sounds like a good plan, and I'm sure you've got your finger on the pulse of the SC market so you know what's up. I suggest drawing up two alternative spreadsheets outlining your budget, planned maintenance and modifications for each alternative. And sharing those spreadsheets :D

Ok I am a little mixed up as far as choosing now. I am really split between the sc300 5-speed or a 1991-1993 5-speed mr2 turbo.

I just realized the turbo has 240hp, mid engine, rwd, 5-speed and 2700lbs. I can pick up the mr2 for $4,000. Basically a little cheaper than the SC.

Has anyone driven a 5-speed MR2? Feedback?

SC300 Advantage:
Building a boosted SC300 will have less headache than the SC400 due to the available aftermarket parts. There're several turbo kits out there for the SC3 for $1500 plus some additional pipes..etc to make it complete.

SC300 Disadvantage:
Will not have monster torque like the V8. Side Note: The stock 5 speed W58 tranny can break easily.

SC400 Advantage:
Good power, good torque, aggressive exhaust sound. Fun to work on. You already have a knowledge of this engine.

SC400 Disadvantage:
Build power from scratch. ;)

I'd go with the SC400 anyday even it has more headaches and challenges.

I think the u.s. models have 200hp, these cars by the specs look to be awesome, but when i purchased my sc400 6 years ago i couldn't find an mr2 for a decent price that wasnt' ragged out, so i imagine it would be even tougher now

To be honest i really what something that can HANDLE. I also just read some history on the MR2 and I guess Sard built a GT500 spec with a 1uz. Mr2 with a 1uz in the future sounds like a fun project and I already know the 3sgte is a good player in the meantime.

See if i grab another SC I have a porky 3600lb automatic versus a 2700 lb 5-speed. sc400 is putting out around 180rwhp stock, if I reflash the MR2 for the JDM boost levels, it will be 240bhp which should be = 200rwhp.

I'v been driving a heavy ass LS400 w/o any power for too long. I still plan to tune the 4.7L but I really want a light nimble daily driver that if built up, can take on a porsche.

Don't get me wrong i'm still planning for a 350-370rwhp LS470 once im home and Smithers can give me some pointers. But I need some fun guys lol.

Ok, to keep myself from starting new headaches I decided on an SC400. Modifying is just too cheap lol.

Rush headers, maybe a used vortech and a short runner manifold.

I can't lie... it's an absolute steal! I can grab an SC for $1000, and a used blower for $800 plus the basics (no intercooler) for $2,000 flat. I already have my old FMU and a lot of extra piping from my last project so it's a win/win.

I plan to gut the whole car (minus the dash and door panels) and keep weight to an absolue minumum. I did some research today and the SC has a LOT of carbon fiber parts to shed weight... doors, hood, trunk, seats and more. I'm going insane out here in southern colorado, all I want is a 40+ hour work week haha. With my school schedule i cannot fit a job in until i'm home in a couple weeks.

Thermactor, have you set yourself a D-day for your first test drive?

Are you going to be done with school for good in May?

As far as my car goes, as soon as all the pipes are in, I'm going to install them and then go for the test drive. I'm guessing it'll be Friday. :D I can't wait.

Spf, what about transmission? Cf parts add up in a hurry also. I'm glad you mentioned the mr2, it has rekindled my interest in it. I had honestly been researching the lastest miata's as one of the few sports cars left, esp the 07 up hardtop is pretty cool. I could never love the look of the mrs, although my neighbor does have a turbo one, i should convince him to give me a ride.

Spf, what about transmission?

-I know i'm stuck with an auto again with the sc400 but I guess I can always convert it in the future. My small college town has a legal 5 mile closed track that i could use but it's really boring if i'm saddled with an automatic.

Cf parts add up in a hurry also

-Yep, but it's one area of bling that I just can't say no to. The doors alone are $1750 but it's the cost of putting an SC on a diet. The doors on the SC are massive. I can verify that the stock hood also weighs over 75lb so there are areas that can be lightened.

I have always wanted to go all out on an SC because there are some really high quality parts available for it. For instance, Ikeya Formula control arms :D

spf_lexus;106352..The doors on the SC are massive. I can verify that the stock hood also weighs over 75lb so there are areas that can be lightened. ...:D[/QUOTE said:
The stock SC hood weighs 60 lbs. I weighed when I compared it to the carbon hood that's 30 lbs.

thanks for the correction steve. I have so much free time on my hands out here that all Ihave been doing is tossing up this build. Its going to be a daily driving money pit but heck... arn't they all?

If i stuck to N/A and didn't add a a stereo (deck and speakers thats it, no subs) and some aggresive weight savings, how low do you think is probable?

Well the blower was already sold so thats out.

Can anhyome ballpark me what a high mileage 3uzfe + Auto + ECU + harness will run me?

How about the same package but a 2uzfe (vvt-i)?

I need to do something drastic to make me happy so it's either an M112 or a more potent engine swap.

Hey Sean, most of us have a DD that we keep stock, and dead reliable, and then have a project car to play with. The very definition of a Daily Driver, is that it's supposed to be able to be driven daily! Not some money pit garage queen that you're constantly modifying and trying to get to run right ;)

The LS470 is 90% done, adaptronic fully soldered... just needs some 1 on 1 time to get it sorted. In this regard I really dont need to spent any more cheese on it. My original plan at the beginning of the semester was for a sc400 shell (bare) and then swap my 91' LS400 power train into it... so im planning an engine swap as it is.

If I can grab a more potent engine I would definently plan on keeping it stock :D... (minus the exhaust basics). I just need to know how much an 8 or so year old 3uz runs these days.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm assuming that if I can find a halfcut sc430, gs430 or ls430 that can donate it's engine/trans/ecu and harness, I can swap motor mounts (or fab some) to drop this into an early SC.

Just curious but i'm aware the transmission out of the sc430 is a different model so the D-shaft would need to be fabricated right? Also, is there any chance i could source an sc430 d-shaft and make it work in a 1st gen?