MAF Sensor (mass Air Flow)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

guyed

Hi All!

About the MAF Sensor (mass Air Flow)

What are the values for the MAF?

What other models use 1UZ’s MAF Sensor?

Thanks

Guy

As far as I know the only other vehicle to use (part) of the 1UZ sensor is the Supra.

The MAF or AFM (depends where you live) is a Van Karman Vortice meter and it gives a frequency output rather than a varying voltage output like other meters.

I don't think any other car uses the EXACT same AFM as the 1UZ.

The 7MGTE uses a similar one, but smaller.
The VVTi 1JZGTE uses a similar one, but once again, different.

I think these are the only motors to use the Karmaan Vortex one. (I'm not sure what the VVTi 2JZGTE uses, or the VVTi 2JZGE for that matter)

The simptoms are that the engine is in"limp home" mode. The fan is working all the time and the mixture is LOADED with fuel. Acompanied with heavy black smoke from the exhuast pipes... and we have 2 days to get to the race grid ..

Our ECU got 4 connectors

What AFM should fit?
is there is another creative solution?

Thanks.

Please help

Guy

Guy,

If you can get your hands on an AFM from a 7MGTE the electronics section swaps over easilly. I think it's only 3 screws.

There's a guy in Canada that buys new AFM bodies from Toyota and sells them together with a new adjusting screw to fit to Supras and Soarers.

If you can swap the electronics at least you'll know if that's the problem.

My car won't run too well with the AFM disconnected but it doesn't show signs of running rich.

Dear Rod, and All
Thanks very much for your answer
I live in Israel . Canada is a bit far, I can think to buy aftermarket solution even in Australasia if the time wasn’t that pushy. We got a race tomorrow.

Nevertheless, I would like to get suggestions as the our 1UZ buggy intends to participate in the coming Dakar Rally, and that’s folks, a real mission.

Currently the engine is working very rich, and does not cross the 4,000 RPM

We don’t have Supra here (Corolla is one of the best sellers…)

We need a gentle solution. Someone that can have an idea about the AFM.maybe building signal generator etc..

Please help

Guy

Have you checked the fault codes to ensure the AFM is the problem. A faulty temp sensor could display the same symptoms. Make sure it is definately the AFM first.

Good luck

I suspect ther's a glitch in the wiring between the engine and chassis.

We all assume there's a dead sensor or something has failed when the engine we installed doesn't run right.

I think if you took a poll (and everyone was honest) you'd find most problems are errors when doing the wiring.

My car didn't run right the first time so I re-did it and was blown away by how much better it ran.

Double and triple check your wiring before pulling sensors off the engine.

Remember before you got the engine it was being driven around the streets in someone's Toyota or Lexus and they are very unlikely to have driven around in limp mode.

Dear all

Thanks very much for your tips and help. The mysterious bug had been fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was not the MAF direct, but a wrong wiring that lead to a + connection to one of the MAF inputs, in a place it shouldn’t be connected to.

Rod was right then. It wasn’t the MAF, we juts blamed it because we got errors codes from the ECU points that that the MAF is not good.

Now we can go to the race. 700 KM off road rally. It will be the first race for the buggy, we don’t have time even to tune the suspension correctly.. Will keep you posted when back. Thank you all.

I've come to the conclusion that 99% of problems with the engine running right after a transplant is a wiring fault by whoever wired the engine to the chassis.

That's one cool looking device you have there.

One question do you have more than the ratchet tie-down holding the spares on. I'd look at something more secure as it looks like if the strap slipped the tyres would fall out.

Good luck & let us know how you go.

Brett,

Sort of like mine but way cooler.

The finish looks excellent.

I'd like to see more photos. I wish I had the independant suspension and the travel it looks like it has.

I'm turning green!

Dear All!!!

What a great race!!!!!!!!

We made the 650 Km journey on time. so this is a great success.

Because it was first shakedown for “Erez Raider” ( buggy’s name) had been only In Thursday’s afternoon. We had no time at all.

t ran the first time at the field near the workshop and then we rush it to the trailer and ran like hell to the “park ferme”. We where late by then and got a huge penalty....

MAF:

Because we didn’t have the time to get a new original MAF, we put a Toyota Previa MAF. Of course this is a completely different, but the engine run smooth without coughing .

Performance was a bit low as predicted. I assume we got maybe 40%, and the fuel consumption was horrible. less than 3 KM/liter.

Rather than that, the engine is perfect. We will sort the MAF issue and I will let you know.

Other troubles we had was a broken base of the power steering box (Pajero) it had to be re-welded, and some screw got loose.

The bearings of front shocks had been broken (specially made by KONI) we are working with Koni to solve it, They are great people.

The Erez Raider is one of the best machines I ever ride. the ride is so smooth you can have a beer in rough off road path without loosing a drop. It got amazing potential and we need to get the engine to 100% performance.

We consider using MOTEC system in the future. If someone have experience with 1UZ-MOTEC combination let me know.

Spare wheel strap:

The pictures had been taken on exhibition. In the race the is one strap for each wheel and the wheels also have sort of housing to keep them in place.

Other figures:

Dry weight: 1300 Kg.

Suspension:

No springs, 4 Hydrogen pistons (our design) do the job.

Travel: 40 Cm.

Shocks: Koni, specially developed. 2 front. 4 rear.

Sprinter,
what is the cost of Motec?
how was the instalation/fitting?
Performance of Motec Vs. ECU?

Thanks!

Guy

Prices vary depending on what options you get, I would suggest that you contact

Yuval Melamed
12 Hamanofim St
Herzlia
Israel
Tel: +972 9 9577 323
Fax: +972 9 9577 324
Email: [email protected]

From the MoTeC website.

Installation was simple as I built my own loom using mill spec wire and the Toyota connectors. I used the standard sensors, but I did not worry about connecting the traction control butterfy.

I have not had the engine on a dyno but other people have got 300hp at the flywheel from a old crown engine.

Raider Images

Hi All!

Some pictures form last weekend Rally. the Raider Simply smooth every thing ho goes over. Simply amazing. We need to sort the engine out and it will ne the ultimate weapon for the desert