LS400 Y PIPE replacement

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Here is a question I received by PM and my answer for others with similar needs.

"Hi I thought I would ask you what to do on my Y pipe replacement on a stock 98 LS400. My Y pipe is rusty and leaking , and I think my best alternative is to find a good junkyard one. Would it be a good thing to cut out the center resonator and pipe from the Y to where the single pipe comes back into the 2 pipes again,then replace it with 2.5 inch. I think that is what I have gathered from your replies to exhaust questions. I just plan to leave this car stock but if I could free up the exhaust a tiny bit while I am replacing the Y ,I would.Thanx for any advice."

Yes, finding a stock pipe is a good idea.

Replacing the center resonator with a 2.5" is also a good plan for a possible slight gain with a bit louder system
You can use a Y pipe from almost any model V8 Lexus if you don't mind making slight mods to the catalyst outlet alignment be that by using your existing flanges or possibly the ones on the salvaged Y. If you do that you will want a quality fabricator doing that work and use 2" mandrel bent pipe. Obviously the simplest is find the same model Y pipe.

A 1995 -1997 Y pipe should be a direct fit for a 1998 - 2000 car. These years have a very odd less than ideal catalyst outlet to Y pipe transition using a slash cut 60mm that quickly swages down to the 50mm pipe. This is a section I would change if you are trying to maximize performance. I would replace the 60mm section with mandrel bent 2.25" stainless tube.

attachment.php