Lexus-Toyota UR engines

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Article from Wikipedia
This article or section does not cite its references or sources.
You can help Wikipedia by introducing appropriate citations.To meet Wikipedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup.
Please discuss this issue on the talk page, or replace this tag with a more specific message. Editing help is available.
This article has been tagged since May 2006.

1UR-FSE
The 1UR-FSE is the new Toyota V8 which debuted recently in the Lexus LS460 & LS460L. Bore of 94 mm, stroke of 83 mm (see NOTE below). Toyota aims for 380 PS (280 kW) and 370 lbf·ft (500 N·m). Advances over the 3UZ-FE include the use of Dual VVT-i and Gasoline Direct Injection.

NOTE: Having read that the 1UR-FSE is meant to have a capacity of 4608 cc, I originally assumed that it will have the same bore and stroke as the 2GR-F(S)E 3.5L V6 engine found in the Lexus IS350. This has now been confirmed by Toyota here.

Applications:

Lexus LS 460

2UR-FSE
This article contains information about a scheduled or expected future product.
It may contain unverified or unreliable information, and may not reflect the final version of the product.

The new Toyota Supra is meant to be released with a 5.0L V8, presumably (and logically) based on the 1UR-FSE. We can assume that Toyota will change either the bore or the stroke to create a 5.0 L version. I assume that the stroke will be changed to create slightly squarer dimensions to the engine. I estimate that the bore will be 94 mm and the stroke 90 mm, creating a 4996 cc engine.

The 1UR-FSE shares its bore and stroke dimensions with the 2GR-FSE 3.5 L V6. However, the specifications of the LS460's V8 has less power per litre and less torque per litre than that of the V6 engine. For the Supra though, we can use the hp/L and lb/ft figures of the 2GR-FSE 3.5L V6 engine to roughly assume the power and torque of the 2UR-FSE. The 2GR-FSE has 315 hp (232 kW) and 277 lbf·ft (373 N·m), so we can assume that the 2UR-FSE will have power of approximately 450 hp (335 kW), a figure which has already been claimed by many motoring journals as the approximate power of the new Supra, and torque of approximately 400 lbf·ft (540 N·m), which would seem about right considering the target figures from Toyota for the 1UR-FSE.

Applications:

2008 Toyota Supra

3UR-FE
This article contains information about a scheduled or expected future product.
It may contain unverified or unreliable information, and may not reflect the final version of the product.

There has been talk for some time of a new 5.7 L V8 (sometimes referred to as the i-Force V8) from Toyota for the new Toyota Tundra (U.S. market ute/truck). To attain a capacity of 5.7 L, Toyota could bore or stroke the 5.0 L 2UR, or bore and stroke it. If the bore of the 2UR were used (94 mm), and a greater stroke of 102.6 mm were introduced, the engine's capacity would be 5696 cc. If the stroke of the 2UR were retained (90 mm) and an increased bore of 100.4 mm used, the engine's capcity would be 5700 cc. Personally I think that the 100.4 mm bore option is more likely as a stroke of 102.6 mm is exceedingly large. However a longer stroke would most likely provide excellent torque. This vehicle is meant to have a towing capacity of 10,000 tonnes, so one would assume that it will have a fairly large capacity engine, with fairly big power and definitely heaps of torque.

Rumours of this new 5.7L V8 have stated figures of around 400 hp (300 kW) and 400 lbf·ft (540 N·m). As the 5.7 L V8 will be used in a non-performance orientated vehicle, and one that will be sold at less of a premium, I predict that GDI will NOT be used (hence the loss of the S from the engine designation). This will mean less power and torque per litre. To predict the power figures for this engine I am basing my power and torque per litre on the 1GR-FE 4.0 L V6 as used in the Toyota Hilux (or Tacoma for the U.S. market). This version of the 1GR-FE has 236 hp (175 kW) and 266 lbf·ft (382 N·m). Therefore a 5.7 L V8 with the same power and torque per litre would have 338 hp (252 kW) and 407 lbf·ft (550 N·m). Whilst the torque figure seems accurate, the power figure seems somewhat low, however it would not be at all difficult for Toyota to get the power up to around 400 hp while maintaining (or improving) the torque to well over 400 lbf·ft. Remember that if this 5.7 L V8 had the same power and torque per litre as the 2GR-FSE it would have 513 hp (382 kW) and 455 lbf·ft (615 N·m)!

Toyota has confirmed the use of dual VVT-i and a high compression ratio in relation to other truck engines. As Jim Press states in his speech to the Chicago Auto Show press attendants:

"...But being big doesn't mean it can't be smart. We're using advanced engine technology rarely found on trucks, like a higher compression ratio, independently controlled intake and exhaust variable valve timing, and a low friction cam assembly among other things."

The complete speech can be found here: Chicago Auto Show Speech from Toyota

It will most likely also feature molybdenum coated pistons as featured in most modern Toyota engines, such as all GR series engines, forged connecting rods, and a forged steel crankshaft.

Applications:

2007 Toyota Tundra

The issue of -automotive engineering- i think had a feature on toyota and there new motors. there was a pix of the 1UR that was cut away showing off all its parts inside. I noticed timing chains among other things.