Lexus to TH400 Auto gearbox

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I've just finished adapting a Torqueflite to the 1UZ by modifying the 1UZ belhousing and removing the T'F bellhousing (had to cut it off).

I expect to collect it from the machine shop today or tomorrow and I'll post some photos and explain what we did.

Sounds good Zuffen,

Do you think I could knock up a plate to join the TH400 to the 1UZ...

Also when bolting the two together does the extra width of the plate not affect the torque convertor or flexi plate??

Not 100% sure how they all join together!!

If you are willing to cut the bellhousing off the th400 and use a 7 bolt pump.. and posess a a340 v8 bellhousing i have just the thing for you!

When you look at an automatic transmission the torque converter is the large drum sitting in the bellhousing. It bolts to the flexplate which in turn is bolted to the end of the crankshaft.

The other end of the torque converter is splined onto two shafts (one rotates inside the other shaft). The torque converter is free to move along the shafts as the internals of an auto actually expand and contract when operating.

The two shafts the torque converter is fitted to, are mounted in a pump assembly which generates the hydraulic pressure required to make the whole thing work.

The pump is bolted into the front of the transmission case by a series of bolts. These bolts are quite often used to mount a different bellhousing to the transmission case. Normally the standard bellhousing bolts into dedicated tapped holes but using the pump bolts is a common "Hot rodding" method of fitting the transmission to another engine.

I hope to take photos tonight of the modified bellhouing beside a standard one. Then I can return Judd's bellhousing to him.

Finally got around to it.

Attached photos show the Torqueflite and 1UZ bellhousing fastened together. You can see the alloy flange we welded around the back of the bellhousing to help support it.

Another showing the fit of the Torqueflite Torque converter in palce (it fits within the 1UZ bell easily) with a ring gear sitting in place.

Another showing the mounting bolts going into the Torqueflite pump.

Lastly the plate I made to ensure it was all central to the crank. I drilled the plate and inserted (and welded) 2 10mm dowels in place to hold the bell housing. I bolted the bell to the plate then mounted it in a lathe from the rear. We machined the centre hole in the plate and welded on the pads so we could drill them to then mount it on a face plate.

We machined the bellhousing to fit inside the recess that holds/centralises the pump in the Torqueflite. This ensured it was central to the trans and then we bolted it up using longer pump bolts.

The adaptor plate we made is available for loan if anyone needs to work on a 1UZ bellhousing.

If you need photos of the bellhousing off the trans let me know.