Idle Pulley removal.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

8Runner

Hi guys.
Just a quick question about removing an idle pulley from the front of my block, which seems to be spring loaded. I tried to unbolt it but it seems to just be spinning something on the other end. I tried holding the metal plate between the bolt and the pulley with multi grips while unbolting but had no luck.

I have attatched a picture of the pulley.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Adam

From memory it has a left hand thread so it unscrews in a clockwise direction. I hope you haven't already damaged it. We often press new bearings into them before refitting. Cheers

Riiiiiight, and if, just by chance i was screwing it the wrong way, im guessing i would have to tap the hole again with a bit bigger thread or something. Basically im up **** creek.

8Runner said:
Riiiiiight, and if, just by chance i was screwing it the wrong way, im guessing i would have to tap the hole again with a bit bigger thread or something. Basically im up **** creek.
Why would you want to remove it? Are you changing the timing belt? You can take out that pulley and its mount by removing 2 12mm bolts located slightly at the top right of the pulley that hold them, so there's no need to remove that pulley itself unless its bearing is bad. When the belt is still on, check that pulley's horn to the mount marks. If they don't match up anymore, that's when the pulley is bad.

I think the thread is opposite to normal thread for that pulley. Just in case you screwed that thread, you don't have to tap and change to bigger bolt. There's a thread repair kit that you can simply put an insert in the hole (after being drilled) and use the original 14mm bolt.

I was actually taking the alternator off to get it checked out as it is draining power from the battery when the car is off. As I have had an idle pulley on my diesel sease up on me out in the sticks i thought i'd just check to see they were all spining correctly, and this particular pulley sounds like an old wheel bearing with no grease.

I guess i should have done my homework here before ripping things appart eh!?!?
Ill rip it off tomorrow and check the damage.
Cheers for the info steve
Will keep everyone posted.

Adam

As u can see its a bit worse for wear. Its cracked down the side and halfway around the base so i dont think its fixable. Found one from toyota for $150 coming on wednesday, hopefully its the right part. Turned out to be an expensive mistake.

Cheers
Adam

Before ordering a new one you should have asked on this forum if anyone has a spare. I have one you could have had for nothing.

Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
8Runner said:
As u can see its a bit worse for wear. Its cracked down the side and halfway around the base so i dont think its fixable. Found one from toyota for $150 coming on wednesday, hopefully its the right part. Turned out to be an expensive mistake.

Cheers
Adam
Oh, man! You might go to some junk yards and find it. It'll be a lot cheaper if there's a used one. I don't remember what it's made of and couldn't tell just by looking at it. If it's steel, then I may be able to weld it, grind it round, and maybe re-thread it. If it's aluminum, then it's not strong enough for holding after welded. But well, you have a luck because Cobra has 1.

Iv'e searched wreckers far and wide and no one seems to have any. I still wouldn't mind getting that part off you if the offer is there, considering this part wont come in till wednesday. Canberra is a useless place to live if u got a 1UZ

I am in Sydney. If I send it it won't get to you before Thursday

Last edited by a moderator: