I want your oppion (engine placement)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Jake Breyck

alright so i set my motor in my car this weekend and i like its location, although before i finish fabricating the engine mounts, i would like peoples comments on the location of the motor.

my reasons for this location...
weight more to the center of the car.
room up front for two turbos and possable Vmount IC/rad
dont have to make an oil pan, this works with the stock rear sump.
doent seem to make any of my other fabrication any harder, everything i have to do still i had to do no matter where the motor is placed.

also points to note, the seating position will be further back as will the peddals. i could see this motor position as a problem if the seat and pedals where going to be in stock locations.

IMG_5779-500.jpg

the woodel dowel is acting as a spacer giving about a half inch clearance between the pan and the rack.
IMG_5781-500.jpg

Here you can see just how far back it really is.
IMG_5785-500.jpg

From inside the car.
IMG_5788-500.jpg

Straight on shot.

this car is being built for my posonal fun, ill take it roadcorse track days, not really going for a dragster. but dont hold back any inpoint will help befor i finish the mounts and wont want to change it.

if you want to see the rest of the build up till this point here it is.
http://lextreme.com//forums/showthread.php?t=4724

that is a very good point, although i dont see it being any worse then a v6 camery or some american v8s. guess thats somthing to think about when im rebuilding the firewall, thanks.

yeah if you make access panels from inside then wouldn't be a problem. Other then that, hey if your up for all the sheetmetal work and what not, I say go for it. The lower and further back the motor, the better.

oh btw, where abouts id FL are you? If you were close to me, I'd love to come see the project in person, and if you needed a hand with anything, I'd be more then willing to help out.

im in clearwater, and sure you can come check it out as long as you are not weird ;-) ill be working on the motor mounts this weekend and welding on the car next weekend.

Nice job so far I reckon.

What are your plans for exhuast mani? Will you have to remove more firewall? Will you be able to get engine in and out on its own, or will it be bolted to gearbox already? (we have to do this with the racecar due to input shaft from gearbox)

Looks like a fun project! I like the extent you've gone to with the 240 rear clip etc.

You're right--our projects are quite similar!! It looks like your motor is about 2" farther back than mine. I chose my location because I don't want to move the pedals back at all.

On your car the driver side head won't interfere with the master cylinder?

How are you planning to get the motor in and out? The normal procedure for hoisting it obviously won't work. Since I am re-doing the whole chassis on mine, I currently see two options: either doing a removable front clip (everything from the doors forward comes off), which is easier for building the car but will make engine removal more time consuming; or I can design the chassis so the motor drops out the bottom(a down and forward extraction, as opposed to up and forward), which will be quite a chore to actually make work but will make getting the motor out fairly simple.

Your car is going to be bad ass on the track! It's too bad we are on opposite sides of the country--I'd love to see yours in action.

Mark

im in clearwater, and sure you can come check it out as long as you are not weird ;-) ill be working on the motor mounts this weekend and welding on the car next weekend.

Oh DAMN!, I am over there almost everyday. My girl lives over there on N.E. Coachman. I might be moving over there in the near future also.

if you haven't already, check your PM.

rivmasta i will be turboing the car so the manifolds will go forword, and i have a creative slim motor mount design that will allow for room for a 3" down pipe to fit

markstoys i plan on useing a tilton or ap racing 3 pedal set so i will not have master cyls in the firewall, so im not conserned with head clearance or further firewall modifacation.

as for pulling the motor out if all else fails ill remove it and install it fromthe bottom, i work on mr2s often and have gotten used to the idea of droping the subframe and dissasimblening suspention toget a motor out and i wont cry about it if i have to do that with this car as well. but i hope im not doing a lot of motor pulling.

not very apparent in these pics is the rack is very close to the motor so i may interfere with the header, if that is the case i think ill move it a little to the left, and possably use a rack spacer to make up for the loss of rach travel.

I know what you mean about removing everything from underneath; I mostly prefer that also.

Looks great, will handle nice for sure setup like that.