How much HP out of a Twin Turbo 1UZFE?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
David, it looks like your intercooler is only taking 8.6F out of the temperature. However there is a 35.5F drop from the turbo outlet to the intercooler INLET.

Theres also a 0.3F difference between the turbo outlet and the final engine temp!

These are some great investigative measurements.

I think in another thread we were talking about wrapping the intercooler pipe, and I (we?) were saying that wrapping it AFTER the intercooler is good, but wrapping it between trubo and intercooler is not good.

And yes, turbo socks are great! They also help boost come on quicker by keeping the heat inside the turbine.

Peter,

I am a high believer in wrapping the inlet pipe from intercooler to the TB. That is the most critical point. Possible getting them Ceramic/Hot Jet coating to reflex some heat. If we can keep the same temperature as the intercooler outlet, then we can boost much higher.

Yeah it looks like you'll get some benefit from it. Would be great to do it and compare results.

How did you do the analysis? With an external probe that you pointed at the areas? It'd be great to have one of those thingmys.

thefastJ,

I've found that http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/prod176.htm are one of the cheapest places around to get garrett GT turbo's.

About air temp, you can't get any real idea of actual air temp from reading the skin temperature of intake plumbing. This will only give you an idea of how heat soaked the metal is. The exception to this would be if you had the bonnet up and were doing long dyno pulls while maintaining the same load point on your ECU. (consistent boost pressure). This would then heat soak the metal to your air charge temp and your reading would be accurate.

This is why air temp sensors are mounted in the air stream. Hot wire sensors like on the WRX change instantly when air temp changes. Considering that an engine can go from 0lbs to 10lbs in just a few seconds and during this time your air charge could raise anywhere from 5-25 degrees C, it takes a lot longer for that temp change to be reflected in plumbing skin temperatures.

To realy determine intercooler core efficency you need to have the sensor mounted just before the throttle body, and just after the turbo compressor outlet.

Imagine having your ECU doing ignition retard based on skin temp of the intake plumbing. You'd either be running it so retarded you'd be missing out on a whole bunch of horses, or it would ping its tits off the moment your air temp began to climb.

Has anyone used a pair of Mitsubishi TD04's on a 1UZ? The reason I ask is that UK spec Impreza's use front entry TD04's as standard and a lot of guys ditch them for TD05's when they realise they're running off the map @ ~290hp so they're cheap and available over here. I reckon they'd be good for 15psi with very little lag for up to 500 crank hp.

The HKS drag supra uses the 3UZ-Fe Engine stroked to 4.8 Liters, 1500 HP using Twin HKS GT3540 Turbos, the 3UZ-FE is proven to handle over 2000Hp so theres many capabilitys for 1,2,3 UZ-FE Engines depending on what you want, any power rating is possible.

Vwturbo66 "Using water injection to raise the octane rating rather than using it to cool the air charge"

????? How do you do that? What effect on fuel octane rating or fuel/air mixture octane rating does water have?
Can anyone explain this to me?

I would agree with you that intercooling is the foundation of a high power FI setup. Physics and chemistry prove that.