How fast should a 1UZ Hilux be ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

5020Chris

Hi, after finally getting my truck on the road today (all legal) I took it for a spin up the road and am not over impressed with its performance. I have a new bosch fuel pump, clean tank filter, dizzy caps/leads/plugs/rotor arms etc etc and the engine has a good service history (LS400). My truck is running a R151F 'box 4.556 diff and 31/1050/15 all terrains so I don't think I am over geared. Don't get me wrong it's far better than the 2.4d that was in it but it is far from wild performance. Won't light up the tyres (2wd) in second gear on a wet road :Flush: . Am I missing something ? Using stock ecu, only thing different is after market cone air filter which is plenty big enough also tried with no filter too. Ecu is giving all clear on the codes too so I am stuck ! Any ideas experience ? Just thought it would be a weapon. Cheers, Chris.

weapon hehehhehee
go hire or test drive a std 1uz soarer or lexus in yr area or local car yard
then u will see how they go
they are ok but could use abit more pulling power or even bit more capacity
but hey for 1500 bucks u cant complain
a std 1uz in a cressida or similar has aorund 130 to 140 kws at the wheels
my wifes camry can beat my ute off the mark

anyway drive another car and compare
does it rev out fast in 1st gear
u might have a blocked exhaust or someting

Whats the weight of the truck? Unless its less than the LS400 the engine came from it won't be lighting up tyres in 2nd anyway as the it didnt do that in the donor vehicle that has less transmission parasitic losses.

In comparison putting a 1UZfe into a 1038 kilo Cobra does turn the engine into a bit of a beast, and has impressed a few guys with 383 Chevy's in their Cobras.

It may also be worthwhile to check that the cats are free flowing( or remove them entirely) and make sure that the throttle linkeage gets to fully open the butterfly at wot. The original truck throttle pedal arrangement may not match perfectly with the LS 4090 throttle body and you may need more movement on the throttle cable to achieve wot than the truck pedal allows.

I've had this happen to me on a swap using a BMW 740 engine and a BMW 540 pedal box. At first, the max throttle opening I could get was 75%, t'was fast but no cigar. Then we twigged the problem and a bit of bent steel later we had a beast under the right foot.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi thanks for the replys. Have checked to see if the butterfly is opening fully with the throttle cable and this is ok, also forgot to mention I have removed cats and the exhaust is all new from the manifolds back to the tail pipe using the same size pipe as was on the ls400 have even used the lexus middle silencer. As for weight the ls 400 book says 1815kg and my hilux is about 100 kgs lighter on the scales so weight should not be a problem. Must admit when I drove the donor ls400 back to the workshop I gave that a pasting and it seemed to go a lot better than my pickup does. Not sure what else to try ?????:banghead: Was thinking maybe fuel pressure could be down but wouldn't that make it hard to start and also have brand new bosch pump.:hmmm: Any Ideas ??????????
Was looking at a hilux spinning its 35 inch tyres on you tube and thinking if only LOL.
Chris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wt_BgQ6M0Q

Hi thanks for the replys. Have checked to see if the butterfly is opening fully with the throttle cable and this is ok, also forgot to mention I have removed cats and the exhaust is all new from the manifolds back to the tail pipe using the same size pipe as was on the ls400 have even used the lexus middle silencer. As for weight the ls 400 book says 1815kg and my hilux is about 100 kgs lighter on the scales so weight should not be a problem. Must admit when I drove the donor ls400 back to the workshop I gave that a pasting and it seemed to go a lot better than my pickup does. Not sure what else to try ?????:banghead: Was thinking maybe fuel pressure could be down but wouldn't that make it hard to start and also have brand new bosch pump.:hmmm: Any Ideas ??????????
Was looking at a hilux spinning its 35 inch tyres on you tube and thinking if only LOL.
Chris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wt_BgQ6M0Q

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

How is the fuel pump mounted? Is it in a swirl pot in the tank with the return feed (I take it tou have a return feed) going into the pot or mounted outside the tank as a typical normal carb fuel pump.If the latter the fuel delivery system will not work properly.

If you don't have a swirl pot with the return feed going into the pot I will guarantee you will have fueling problems, leaning out of mixture, and poor power delivery. ( Three guesses how I found this out..I'm a founder member of the Bosch fuel pump burning out club)

HTH

Cheers,

Tony

Don't forget the LS400 was running something like 28 or 29" tures and 31" tyres knock the grearing around.

Do the calculation on the circumfrence of a 29" & 31" tyre and you;'ll get a shock.

Don't believe all you see on Youtube.

Was it in low range, did they rub diesel on the tyres? it's pretty easy to get anything spining tyres if you cheat.

I've only idden in one UZ powered 'Lux and it was decently quick and wore out rear tyres smartly.

I know my own 1850kg Range Rover with the standard 1UZ (plus headers) was indecently fast so your's should be as well.

to test fuel starvation just run the return line into a bucket and go for a drive
if the returning fuel starts to slow down and if u get air or the flow stops then u have starvation
if the flow is always good gentle flow then everythign is fine
so if yr pressure is aorund 38 to 40 psi and u have good flow on return line into bucket then its not fuel

fuel starvation usually happens over a long acceleration period
like flat stick in 1st and then 2nd then 3rd and so on
and usually short bursts in 1st and 2nd u wont get starvation

how does it drive at 100 km per hour
having tall tyres makes diff ratio feel tall
so if its sluggish of the mark
then it should go good up hi over 100kph
mine goes better over 80 kph and i lost abit of the mark
since i went from 4.3 diff to a 3.7

if it revs out cleanly and fast in neutral and revs out cleanly in 1st and 2nd white u drive it
it might just be normal
if u can sort of feel that the engine is trying to go better and its holdoing back maybe there is something wrong
what is yr static timing
and as u rev it does the timing advance
sometimes if its in limp mode the timing wont advance as u rev it

Thanks for the replys guys. Ok here's what I have for the fuel delivery, standard 2.4D fuel tank (all clean all fuel lines cleaned out) with an in line filter feeding a bosch fuel injection pump with non return valve which in turn is connected to the standard hilux fuel line. The return from the engine goes back to the fuel tank via the standard hilux fuel return line. Have taken out the in line filter today to see if that makes any difference but no improvement. I have not got a swirl pot in the fuel system yet but I guess I will have to fit one.
Sideshow thanks for the advice, in one of your posts you say you are running ok with out one as long as you keep the fuel level up well I filled the tank today (less air ) and no different, but will check the timing as you said this week. Tonyd thanks for the advice so far also. I can confirm that it is as fast as a standard landrover 90 3.5l v8.:sleepy: LOL
Cheers
Chris.

i think if it was fuel starvation u would notice engine piss and fart under long periods of acceleration

if it idles fine and revs cleanly then might be nothing wrong
without anyone of us driving it we cannot judge
and u cannot judge untill u drive another one
try fititng normal 18 or 20 inch rims and see how that feels

i run 16 in rims
so imagine a 4wd with 32 or 36 inch rims
its like doubling diff ratio

It should be around the same performance as most NEW stockish mid size cars now. Remember 190kw was plenty, but these days even a bloomin Rav4 has that much power.

Not sure what a common car is around there, over here it should run next to a standard Commodore, but you won't beat it without other mods/boost. Still, that's pretty handy performance for a 4WD.

Mine with boost will now run close to a 6L VE SS Commodore, which do 5.5~ 0-100, but I haven't launched it in a straight drag, talking acceleration. Oh and mine weighs in at a nasty 2300kg!

Hey Nemesis, if my truck weighed that much I would have to have an engine driving each axle !lol Can't fathom whats up yet, I think its a trip to the "dyno demon" To find out what the rwhp is hoping for over 200. Is this expecting too much ? Truck has been off the road for 2 weeks just checking over things. Can't believe it's only as fast as a land rover 90 with 3.5 v8 rover engine.
Those landrovers should be gettin' a :spank: Cheers
Chris.

Okay yeah, you should be chopping just about any Rover bar modern Rangie Sport V8's, even then it should be closish.

Sidey - They hammer hey! My wifes got a 2000 VRX Magna and even it seems to have effortless power, without vvti. Remember the old 'V8 killer' adds lol

Hello Chris

Send me a pm and I will pass on a couple of tricks. Im sure sideshow will already know these. Also get it on the dyno and check the timing advance. Had one recently that had next to no timing advance when up in the revs. Found the problem on that one but took a bit. I have never found NA 1uz hilux that fast. Lots of fun but not that fast. Big wheels swallow power. Fixed it with my one and added a turbo. Cheers Kelvin

yes i know all the tricks but i dont tell anyone unless they want o pay 1000 bucks a page for diagrams hehehehehe

another thing is its very hard to judge how good a car goes by reading a bunch of questions and answers on a forum

at the end of the day no one here except u can feel how it goes
dyno figures might help abit
mine had around 130 to 140 kws at the wheels which is avarage nothing to wankkk over hehhe

anyway i lost low down power by going from 4.3 to 3.7 so diff ratio and tyre sizes will make power feel very different but engine power will stay the same

y dont u do a timed 0 to 100 kms an hour or 60 miles etc etc
then we can get someone here to compare what they have if they have something similar
or just pay 50 to 100 bucks to throw it on a dyno

That's a decent jump, 4.3 to 3.7, what made you do that? Chasing economy cruising?

I'm about to go from 4.88 to 4.3 tomorrow as a trial as I'm sick of 2800rpm on the freeway (though my gears are insanely quick), but I have 33" tyres.

i think u will love the 4.3 especially after running 4.8
u might loose bit off the mark but u will use the revs for longer
and use the torque

4.3 in a 2wd is bit hi
when yr cruising at 60kph and accel hard it kicks down to 1st gear revs its tits off and doesnt show much for it
4.3 is good for off th emark
but when already cruising at 60 ro 80 with the 3.7 it has good torque
and it kicks back and actually uses the revs
would be even better with a manual but im not wasting money on it anymore
ill sell it as is or fix it up and sell it for more

Yeah it would become a wild little thing with an R154 or something. Probably not as quick as the stuff you normally work on, but still a decent sleeper, the single cab 2WD can't weight too much.

:hail: Just like to say many thanks to Gloverman for the advice with my Hilux 1uzfe. Goes like a train now ! Thanks Kelvin,

Chris.

Good news Chris,

What was the answer to the lack of power problem ? Any tricks you can share.

Cheers,

Tony