How does the oil level sender work??.........

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rafiqi

..............took mine out tonight (SC400/93).........
and could not figure it out.
Is it a reed switch or hall effect or what?
Did not see anything to clean.
Where can I get another sensor.
Mine gives me a check oil level light.
Thanks,
rafiqi.

It's actually just a dumb level switch. Normally open for normal level of oil, then when the level drops to a "low" level, the float makes contact with another contact which is earthed.

So if there's a short in the wiring, and there's some earth leakage, that could be the reason for the CEL.

Or perhaps the float is stuck in the down/low position?

If you have a DVM, check between that single contact and the body of the sensor to see what resistance it shows, then clean the thing up real well and see if you can find any scrapes in the insulation, or problems with the float. Carb cleaner works wonders on these.

If the above doesn't work, contact "Aliga" who's a member on here. He's always parting out Lexus cars & motors, and probably has one of these for not much $$. Several of us have bought from him, and he's fair on prices, and has fast delivery.

hmmm ok,

I would think a luxury over engineered lexus might have an actual level gauge in the dash, as my (non luxuy) 1996 renault megane had.... that was a resistor which switched between the water temp and oil pan level.

grtz Thomas

I'd have thought so too, but when I pulled the thing out, I realised it was nearly the same sensor as I have in my Supra, and after cleaning and testing, I confirmed it just functions as an on/off switch. No analog output at all.

Perhaps there are different types for different cars, but my engine came out of a '93 SC400, as did Rafiqi's, which is why I posted.

I checked mine with a DVM and it reads "Closed" I.e the sensor is closed.
I saw NO contacts at all.Moving the float up and down has NO effect !!.I think being submerged in oil that it would have a sealed switch with some sort of a float that makes and breaks the switch.
Thanks for all the input.
Hulio.

If moving the float around does nothing, you've got a short in the wiring. You can either try to fix it, or just buy a new sensor.

The bottom side of the float is a conductive surface, and it "shorts" the isolated contact to ground.

Red Supra, another Lextreme member, just PM'd me and has an oil level sensor available. Give him a PM and I'm sure he can sort you out.

It is a ridiculous price for a simple rather crude device.
I wish someone knew how it functioned............maybe we or I could fix mine.
Hulio.

I found one at the local junkyard(20 bucks). It was easy taking off cuz motor was out, floater still works. Do you think its good? Also how would i go about removing it from motor while in car. Looks difficult to get to.
CIMG2003.jpg
CIMG2002.jpg
CIMG2001.jpg
CIMG2000.jpg

It's pretty easy...........remove the brace plate and gain excess to sensor.Remove O2 sensor and then proceed to oil sensor.
All this asumes a SC400 !!

Nobody seems to know.Just clean it real good with brake cleaner and hope for the best.
I wish somone knew.There are no obvious contacts.

Put a multimeter accross the terminal and the body of the float.

Lift the float up and you shouldn't have continuity.

Drop the float down (like its out of oil) and you should get a reading.

A multimeter or test meter.

You could use a 12volt globe on the end of a wire it will all do the same thing.

Why Google multimeter?