hmmmm.........uh oh

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Tacoma_Kyle

Ok so you know how Crambo (I think it was---thread here and on CelicaSupra) that is putting that Toyota V12 from a Century in his 2nd gen Surpa? Well anyhow he mounted a JZA70 rear sub-frame and suspension in his 2nd MA6x. Got me thinking.

Well last year I considered a MK2 IRS but determined the trailing arm style would probably interfere with the cab metal too much since my car was built for a live axle. The mounts go way forward as well as the arms and just about the entire subframe.

Well the MK3...it multi armed and the bulk of the subframe is in back...exactly where the axle hangs so there is nothing in the way. The two primary mounts do extend far forward.

At a local junkyard (who are more like butt pirates) there is both a Supra and Celica that I can measure up for good approximations on the fit. Yeah there will be a lot of fab! I am thinking more of a POTENTIAL project, if it seems to work. Not 100%.

Well it just so happens I found one for sale 70 miles away. Entire UNCUT subframe, all arms, spindles, diff (from 5 speed he said, maybe it has a LSD...), drive axle, brakes and even tires lol. All assembled. I offered 150 bucks. He said sure. Then said he was going to take it to a junk yard lol I I wished I REALLY lowballed. Its cool though.

So anyone think I should jump on this? Hell I dont have that much money, but for 150 bucks and 20 hours of swearing I could have a bomb proof rear end (for my purposes) that handles. I think I should go get it tomorrow. Even if it doesnt work out I could probably part it. If it has a LSD...oh man...

Here is a 2nd gen vs 3rd gen Supra rear end. MK3 is front.

Supragarage011.jpg

LSD were only in turbo's and N/A's that had the sport package (i.e. TEMS)
Manual or Auto did not make a differance. The other thing is what year car is it out of? There were 3 different ratio's that were used...

Lastly, if your putting down good power and getting good traction, the MKIII rear sub frames need to be braced up as they are known to crack.

Either way though, 150 is still a good deal for it complete....

Need bracing eh? Like where? That wouldnt be too hard to do. Photo's?

But yeah if it all goes well maybe it will be in my Celica in 6 months. Who knows. The car will surely weigh at least 500lb less than any JZA70.

Yeah there arent many in my region. You can find those cars for dirt cheap at times but I do not want to trailer a junk car for its rear end only and then dispose of it.

On the plus side, I wouldnt have to screw around with that stupid low 4.71 axle that I have in it. Ugh... I still have to fab brake brackets and some other stuff I really dont want to do for a inadequate axle (accidental purchase...).

Holy **** am I excited.
I picked up the IRS (JZA70 Supra). In GREAT shape I might add. I measured thee INSIDE width between those two parts of the subframe that stick out far forward. I needed to see if they conflicted with the chassis 'rails' on the underside. Inside width was 30" about. I measure the OUTSIDE width of the chassis rails...28in. Holy **** they clear! And they WONT stick out of the body lol. And the bast part...see second last photo... oh yeah $150...the bushings even look to be in good shape.
irs1.jpg

irs2.jpg

irs3.jpg

irs4.jpg

irs5.jpg

Hella deal for $150.... From the looks of it and its lack of two braces, it came from a 86-88 car.. If thats true, then its either got a 4.30 or a 3.909 rear gear depending on if its from a turbo or N/A car.

About the bracking that I said in my earlier post, the are known to crack around the diff mounts. If you look on the different supra forum and search for a guy by the name of NashMan and in his build thread, he has a really good right up and decription of the problems and how he braced it up.

Your welcome.

I also really positive now that that sub is from an 86-88 car cause it also has the early style swaybar endlinks.

Chance are that diff is going to need to be rebuilt. Luckily though, the disks, plates, and springs from toyota are not to badly priced and they are pretty easy to rebuild too..

On that---I'll find out the hard way. Change the oil and if it takes a dumb after driving thats that. It rolls fine as far as I see. Fro 7 feet....