Help with fuel line 4.7 S/C 2000 Tundra

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

axle69

Hello all: I'm new here to this forum, I've spent a bit of time on the Tundra Solutions, so it was nice to find this site and getting more out of these great vehicles. I have a 2000 tundra and I just purchased a S/C for it. Its the factory set up and for now I have to put it on as they did. Future power upgrades are in the future, since I too am worried about the rod issues that I have been hearing about. The problem that I currently face is, my system did not come with any fuel lines. No banjo bolts etc. So I need to mod the lines and feed the 9th injector. I'm thinking of using the Earl's fittings and steel braided lines, however I have no idea on sizing or fitting sizing I need to move forward. I'm hoping someone out there has done this and can offer me some needed advice. I know working with TRD has been a pain in the @ss since I'm in Canada, I can't get anything through the dealers and most things are not listed anymore.
Thanks
Alex

Alex, welcome to Lextreme.

I don't know what sort of emissions restrictions you have in Canada, but if I were you, I would think about putting a "real" fuel system on that setup, with 8 new, slightly upsized injectors, and a boost referenced FPR. I've always thought that 9th injector was a bandaid fix.

I run a full standalone, so I can't speak from experience, but I believe several guys here run slightly larger injectors with the stock ECU, and it learns and accommodates them fine. Maybe someone will jump in here and offer their experience on this point.

The rod issue is one to be aware of, but not be overly concerned about, if you treat your equipment with respect and don't abuse it. The conditions where you'll have rod issues are:

1. High RPM

2. Knock/detonation (DON'T run cheap, low octane gas with this kit)

3. Lugging the engine (trying to pull full torque at low RPM)

OK I may be a little behind with this stuff, this is my very first Boosted engine of any type what is "and a boost referenced FPR" You also mentioned larger injectors, where and what size would I purchase? If I upgrade the injectors do I still need my 9th injector or would the bigger injectors help in preventing leaning out the engine to much?
I would also like to know about running the smaller crank pulley for more boost, can I do that with everything else set up as factory? I'm mostly going to be using my truck for around town, but I tow a 20ft trailer so I think the extra power would be nice.
How about a cold air intake? I have one on my truck. would I have to remove it? We live at 3000ft.
Thanks

Alex, without trying to sound condescending, I think you need to find yourself a good tuner/mechanic to give you a hand with this.

Much easier said then done around here. There are no other supercharged 4.7's around here that I know of. Since they were not an option in Canada it is very hard too find anybody who really know much except going strictly by the Trd manual. That's why I'm on this forum.... So I can learn.

First thing I would do if I were you is buy these two books and start reading. These will answer most of your general questions about forced induction. Most of us who are running forced induction setups have one or both of these books in our libraries, so I would say it's a wise investment for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301396351&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1301396426&sr=1-1

Both of these are interesting books, and the author, although biased in some areas, is very knowledgeable.

Trying to get specific advice from this forum about your setup, before you understand the processes involved, is a mistake. You're putting the cart before the horse.

Thanks for that bit of info I will look into those books. I should also explain that I'm not new to building performance engines or modding vehicles. Just new to Toyota's way and superchargers. I have modifed and built domestic cars for 15 years, at one time have a true dyno'ed 700HP Stroked SBC with two stages of NO2. So I understand problems etc with mods and tuning. The huge difference obviously is the computer control aspect and Fuel Injection etc. This is where I'm lacking. So those books will be of great help. I have all the parts for the install except the Fuel lines for my install. So I was hoping someone would just give me an answer like............... you need 2- 6AN distribution blocks and 3 Fuel lines at roughly 18 inches long 5/16 or 3/8. Really I only needed to know what the fuel line rails threads are. But I will just figure that out myself for now since I haven't the answer as of yet. I just figured since so many on here have been swapping and changing things someone might have known this off the top of their heads. I can't see everybody hear using the banjo bolts and stock lines especially since you can't go and buy them from Toyota anymore for the S/C setup. So anybody adding a S/C has to route their own system even on stock boost.
Enought said on this point. I will read those books before I do any mods to boost etc. I will however be installing the way it was from the factory as soon as I can.

I'm not familiar with these engines.. BUT I think the strength of rotating assembly will be the limiting power factor..
So larger fuel rails etc won't be required ..
As with other engines [as you know] fuel supply as in fuel pump to supply enough fuel at higher manifold pressures...
Depending if injection is return less supply etc ??
Yes larger injectors and at least adjustable fuel reg so you can run higher fuel pressure if the injectors are marginal...
The other issue is retard as engine comes on boost..
Or at least knock back timing 6 to 8* initial till tuned..
It doesn't take a Lexus tuner expert to tune!!
A GOOD tuner should tell whats required...
After it's sorted I would run a water / meth kit to keep inlet temps down to be even
safer tune wise...
http://www.snowperformance.net/

http://www.coolingmist.com/

etc..

Check with www.turboforums.com there's many Canadians on there which should
shoot you in the right direction...Forced induction is about the same. No matter what system ...
They have helped me big time down here ...
Most fuel pressure regs are boost referenced ...
Check though...

Last edited:
Look into getting an fmu (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) and possibly a higher volume fuel pump. These items along with a wideband o2 sensor (for air/fuel ratio) should compliment the stock ecu nicely.

Fuel Line Issue

Hi Alex,
I have a 2001 Tundra Limited with the TRD Supercharger. Would it help if you had pictures of the fuel line, etc?

Magnuson was the OEM supplier to Toyota/TRD for the 4.7L supercharger, perhaps they can assist on the fuel line/banjo. www.magnusonproducts.com
Phone # 805.642.8833.

Sincerely,
John

Well I have it installed. It started but for some reason it is way over fueling. As of now it's running stock TRD. Seems like the 9th injector is stuck open? Not sure what else it could be.
It was mentioned to run bigger injectors and I posed the question how big and what brand? However no response sooooooo does somebody know the answer to that and if I went bigger injectors do I need the 9th???
Thanks

Rods, injectors, etc.

The stock rods do fine with the stock SC, install an underdrive pulley and the rods go away. On half a dozen motors it was 100%.

Are you using the TRD breakout box that plugs into the ECU behind the glove box? This controlls the 9th injector, alters the timing and I believe richens the AF ratio slightly. If you are running the TRD black box is it wired correctly? Other options for controllers would be URD and possibly HKS.

Try disconnecting the connector at the 9th injector. See if the motor is still rich. The 9th injector doesn't flow fuel unless the engine is in boost. If the motors still running rich (when not in boost) then the problem isn't the 9th injector. Don't run it in boost with the connector disconnected. Check the temp. sender for the engine too. Next step would be a competent shop to do a computer scan to look at live data stream.

It seems possible to use larger injectors without the 9th injector - anyone with experience here?

The TRD SC uses iridium (Denso) sparkplugs. They are a heat range colder than stock. The thermostat was also colder but is now discontinued. Running a stock temp. thermostat without any problems.

John

Running, now want pully change

Turned out it was a bad TRD Piggyback so I've installed the Unichip. Runs great. With the boost bypass it makes about 3lbs boost. With it unhooked I've seen 4.5lbs. I like to change pulleys and see 7 lbs. Anybody have a line on something I can use. I had it dyno'd before and after.
Before it made 248RWHP and after it made 338RWHP and 412 TQ.
That was corrected numbers.
All and all I'm pretty pleased.

Increased Supercharger Boost Advisory

Hi, I also considered changing the supercharger pulley to increase boost. I choose not to make the change after a telephone discussion with the aftermarket pulley manufacturer. At the time they had about 10 customers who had installed undersize pulleys. The customers had experienced a 100% rate of engine failure. The 4.7L Tundra V8 have cast connecting rods and are the weak point of the motor. The only fix is to install forged rods.

Have you modded the air box for increased air flow? It increases the responsiveness and power output. A K&N airfilter helps too. Do Not use a K&N FIPK kit.

I'm not sure but I think ASP is the pulley company that I previously spoke to.
http://autospecialties.com/. Their products are excellent quality. The engine failures that I spoke of are not reflective of ASP but of Toyota's engine design limitations.