Heater Pipe O ring

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Zuffen

Super Moderator
Staff member
My new engine had an intermittent water leak from the rear of the engine.

After stripping the manifold of the engine I pressurised the cooling system to 20psi by inserting a schrader valve in the overflow line and using my compressor.

I found a leak from the "O" ring at the front of the engine on the heater supply pipe. On removal it was slightly damaged so I ordered a new one as those I had looked a little on the small side.

A day later Toyota had one for me and I fitted it.

Knowing how much of a PITA it is to get at I tried retested it with 20psi. At 10psi It leaked. I tried refitting it 5 times and each time it leaked. Bear in mind each time I tried I needed to remove the rear water bridge, remove the heater pipe, play with the O ring, and reinstall it all and refill the system.
After a couple of hours I wasn't in good humour.

Add to the above that the bonnet opening is over 4" or 1.2mtres off he ground and I'm vertically challenged you can see it was fun.

As a last resort I tried one of my O rings which was a good tight fit on the pipe, reassembled it all and it sat with 20psi in it for an hour no problem.

I guess I should have save a days waiting and used what I had in stock.

Question is why wouldn't the correct Toyota part seal?

Best bit was when I fired it up my wife appeared at the workshop door beer in hand. Her only comment was "we're out of Champagne so this will have to do". Gotta love a wife who does that!

Attachments

• DSCF7768.jpg
    DSCF7768.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF7716.jpg
    DSCF7716.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5