Issues with Heater periodically not working/temp guage fluctuates

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rollinginmyLS400

Hey everyone, I hope all is well.

I own a 1992 LS400 and I am having issues with my heater and temp guage.

Here are the symptoms:

-My car temperature guage will fluctuate between normal (slightly under half) and 3/4's high on the guage. When it goes up, it always comes back down to normal. And it does not do this often, in fact the majority of my drive everyday is quite normal. There seems to be no rhyme or reason behind the guage fluctuating.

-At the same time my temp guage started acting up, my inside temperature will not stay consistent. I turn the heat all the way up to 85 (max) and the car will shoot out cool air most of the time. It only seems to shoot out warm air when I accelerate and really gas the car. This concerns me, and I am not sure what is causing this.

It would seem that both of these problems are related, since they acted up at the same time, same day. What might have caused it is I had removed and cleaned out my IACV so I had moved a hose clamp for a small hose that carries coolant right near the IACV. I forgot to put the clamp back in place so the car was squirting out coolant around the hose fitting. I put the clamp back in place, and there no longer was a issue there. However, after that is when I started experiencing the issues with the heater and the temp guage.

I also want to add that I am losing coolant, as I have had to top off about an inch or two the past few days, each day, in my reserve overflow. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

I thought there was a chance the thermostat went bad, but I don't think the thermostat affects the inside heater. Is there a sensor that controls all this?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can point me in the right direction!