Forged Dish Pistons

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Hey Gang,

I am in need of a forged dish JE Pistons. I called up JE and they wanted $1,300 USD for a set with rings and I found this place Custom JE Pistons for $950 USD. I already contacted him and he is working on the paper work with JE. I think he has a buy in account with JE that is why he can offer a lot lower prices.

If the price is $950, i will send an oem piston, rings, pin and rod to that company and have them custom make it for us. Trust me, its an insurance i want to get.

Please let me know if you are interested. I can help you to send to Australia or other countries.

FYI: No profit from my part at all. Check out link. I just want a forged dish pistons with .020" over bore. The compression should be around 8.7 with stock thickness MLS.

If we get more people buy them, we all can save.

Lextreme said:
Eddie,

Do u know the quality between Ross Vs. JE? I want to push 22-25 psi.
Should be equal. A friend runs custom Ross pistons for his setup,VW 2-liter block/20-valve head (one of the few who's done it) running high compression and alcohol.

I just contacted the Ross Racing Pistons and talked to Pat. I sent in my oem 1uz piston in already and should be getting a phone call from him soon. Here is my specs

.020" over bore
Dish top

Great price and its affortable.

David, be carefull with the term "dished". Often this refers to a circular shaped dished area that effectively increases combustion chamber volume and therefore reduces the mechanical compression ratio.

What you WANT is a mirror image depression/dish shape in the piston that copies the shape of the combustion chamber while PRESERVING the quench areas. This is tougher to accomplish and therefore will be more expensive than a simple generic "dish". Nevertheless, the extra should be well worth the expense because a proper piston top shape will make the engine much more resistant to detonation. It is effectively called "mechanical octane" due to the mechanical shape reducint octane requirements (extending the boost and temperature tolerance before detonation occurs).

Here is a picture of a properly dished piston. This is from the Endyn/Larry Widmer/The Old One site. In the piston page it says they will build special application pistons. IF YOU CAN get these made you will be much farther towards your goals. If Larry has time/agrees to the project you will want to send him a head and specifics on the application.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/pistons/

3000GTTurbo.jpg

The Ross guys should be able to design a proper dish for the pistons. David could send them a head if he wants,my friend sent his head to them to make sure the pistons' valve reliefs for the 5 valves...

head_chamber.JPG

I have been using Ross custom pistons on my 6MGTE supra engine and I have not have any problems with them at all....

I have a friend who runs them on 2.2 L Chrysler turbo engines running 20+ psi w/ nitrous and he has not yet encounter a problem with the pistons at all... jsut the rods to be exact when it went for the side of the block

BTW ross is cheaper anyways

TundraEddie said:
The Ross guys should be able to design a proper dish for the pistons. David could send them a head if he wants,my friend sent his head to them to make sure the pistons' valve reliefs for the 5 valves...

head_chamber.JPG

Nice 5 valve head. Audi? Ferrari? BTW, that picture show the front cylinder during valve overlap as all the valves are open!

Anyway, yes, I am sure that the Ross guys can design a dish that will mirror the chamber shape and preserve the quench areas (as can JE) and sending a head is always the best idea.

Now, other considerations are important.

Piston to head clearance should be as tight as possible without touching at peak RPM. Usually, this is around 30-35 thousands of an inch but can be less if EVERYTHING is carefully planned and executed.

Head gasket bore should be as close to actual bore as possible.

Chamber and piston surface are should be minimized and all edges blended and crevaces avoided.

If AT ALL POSSIBLE... it is highly desireable to bias the combustion chamber to the exhaust side.

Minimize valve reliefs to no more than needed.

These are some of the key areas when designing an optimized piston. Larry Widmer at Endyn is highly knowledgable about all of this and replied to my post with a request to email the shop with specific needs.

David, let me know if you would like me to help you pursue this.

John,

I would love to, but what is the price we are looking at. Ross has a very attractive price and JE has the attractive name brand.

David, both JE and Ross are quality parts. The price for dished pistons from Ross are at LEAST $750 and that does not include pins (check the link, it says so).

Endyn pistons should be around $800 with pins. So, the price is not an issue. Endyn uses a major piston forger for blanks (Ross may be a supplier). The engine doesn't care about brand names... only performance.

Read this link:

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/rollerwave-intro/

Hey,

That sounds great to me..... I am interested and perhaps there will be more interest in this wonderful product. I am interested. Does he need a set of oem piston from me? I can send one to him.

I dont care about brand name. I just want pure performance....

JBrady - it's a VW 20V head.

Wiseco makes the pistons for Endyn,Larry then hand-finishes them to get rid of any sharp edges. His 4-cylinder pistons run over $500 for the set (including rings,pins,locks).

Tundra Eddie, yes, you are correct. Of course that is pretty darn reasonable considering the Ross price for dished pistons is $750 without pins, locks or rings. VW head... ok... Audi makes that engine right?

NavySupra, I have emailed Larry Widmer at Endyn with the request and will let David know when he responds.