Finally choosing turbos&computer&trans Ideas?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

98GS400Turbo

The guys that are working on my car have some fast cars of their own. They think the project would be better off with gt30r's than gt40r's. :( After so much effort on the project, it would be a tradgedy to choose wrong now.

ls400 motor
4 angle valve job on the heads.
JE 2618 custom pistons 8.2:1
pauter rods
3" exhaust, hollowed out cats
2 walboro 255 l/h pumps
4 10lb bottles of nitrous, 2 solenoids wet system, only 100 shot right now. (can't retard timing with stock computer, for very big shots yet.)

Computer: Seems that motec is the best out there, but he explained you can spend 5k to 20k depending on options...

Tranny: 4L80E I think, hear it's better than the th400? Has overdrive...

twin. I'm curious as to what the results were in the end for the anderson-audio.com sc430 with the garrett 2835's on it. I think that's what they ran.

There's a sick roll cage in the car, if It's not beating everything on the street without a cage, the driver will look like an idiot :) hahaha, look at the guy with the roll cage getting his ass kicked, hahaha.

That's why I want to get the turbo sizing right.-

Some folks in FL. I'll tell everyone about them as soon as the car is done and running right. No props for them till I have some pretty dyno sheets and time slips.

Primary use, vacation car, use a month a year (must whoop up on as many other street cars as possible :) ). Secondary use. Earn bragging rights with timeslips and dyno sheet.

I saw the video finally of that SICK sc430, anyone know if the way the engine responded was from throttle modulation, or was that turbo lag? Is the 2835 more laggy than the gt30r?

What are you going to run lextreme?

Is that a simulated graph? Because I persoanlly think you'll make much more than 715rwhp at 24psi with twin GT35Rs. You should be around the 900rwhp mark with the much displacement, as I was at the 850rwhp mark with a 3L @ 24psi, and as much inducer area.

98GS...There's an SC400 local to Orlando that is currently being built. Just out of interest, did you shop around with Larry from Innovations in Winter Springs before the project moved to Miami? I think perhaps I'm thinking of a different car, but I am curious.

As far as the computer I'd think AEM EMS would be the way to go. If your shop sells Motec, then I could understand how they would want to install it. But since the 1uzfe already plug into the AEM computer, half of your battle is already won. THe AEM is ultra versatile, and VERY user friendly.

Tranny... Supra V160 6 speed.. Without a doubt. Other than that, a BUILT Th400 (around $8,000) shoudl handle any power you throw at it, although it's quite boring on the street. Takes all the joy out of living... Hence why I mention the Getrag V160.

No matter what, you'l need a new driveshaft, since your output shafts will be a differing distance from the pumpkin from stock. Also, you will need to consider a Supra 6 speed diff (3.13), or TRD diff (3.27). Plus under that much massive power, your halfshafts will need to be replaced with MKIV Supra turbo halfshafts. A close friend snapped both of his on his 12 sec SC300 turbo, and the solution is from the MKIV Supra turbo.

That's the graph of the sc430 from anderson audio. Sickest sc430 on the planet right now I think. I'm just trying to figure whether the video of it was lag or just not hitting the throttle the whole way. I don't want to run on the street and stay in lag mode just long enough for the other guy to let off the gas and think he won ;)

There has to be some kind of tradeoff. Turbo lag has to actually suck for someone somewhere, I'm just trying to figure out where that line of suckage lies.

Does having the nitrous I've got make a little bigger turbo more liveable?

Going with the kaaz rearend. The th400 is same as other trans i mentioned, but a little less strong, not controlled by computer, and no overdrive.

Apparently on that sc430, they've run out of injector, need to upgrade.

AEM does NOT plug and play. You have to use their universal one.

Didn't shop with Larry.

I wonder if the half shafts are stronger on the gs400 than the sc300?

According to Anderson Audio, 715rwhp was at 15psi, which make sense. 24psi with smaller twins would mean HP approaching 900rwhp on a VERY conservative tune. On a 3L with that much turbo, you'll be in the 900rwhp levels.

Lag itself is a nasty tendency with a Th400 without a reverse manual valve body. The built Th400 can also handle around 2000 HP and spin to 9K as long as you have a TC that's in the game with you. But these worries can easily be remidied with a 6 speed. Proper gear selection and proper rev count every time.

Why are you going with a Kazz rear? The GS400 should have the same rear subframe as the SC400 I would think, and MKIV rear end works VERY well with the SC series. Guys are laying down 1492rwhp and running 8.99 in the 1/4 with a 6 speed and stock rear end.

The AEM isn't plug and play, however is does plug right in. The model specific to the MKIV Supra Turbo as verified on these forums. And 90% of the inputs are the same, to the MKIV. It's up to you, but the AEM EMS is an uber-capable platform to make big HP without having to drop the farm. If you've personally hands on seen that it won't work, then please let us know.

Doubtful the GS400 halfshafts are any stronger than the SC300s. But if they ever do let go from a hard launch, the MKIV halfshafts are always available.

What sort of fuel system are you running to feed your motor? If they've run out of injector, then they must be in the tuning phase already? I run (3)three Walbro fuel pumps feeding into a -10, then splitting off into twin -6 lines up to a dual feed rail with around a 3/4 I.D. It feeds (6) RC 1200cc injectors, and the return is handled by the aeromotive fuel pump. For alternate fueling, I also employ an SMC methanol kit with high flow 140psi pump and 15gph nozzle.

After thinking about it, it sounds like [possibly] Toyomoto is performing the work on this project. Is that accurate?

Eric

I liked what I read about the clutch rear ends better than the torsen and other rears. That's why I like the idea of the kazz.

Parts List:
Nos pressure switch
4 introus express bottle warmers (heat and cool)
1 rpm activation switch
1 purge kit w/led
4 10lb bottles
1 msd 6000 series module kit
1 msd adjustable rpm module
1 weldon fuel filter
2 255lph walbro pumps
15 feet of -6 braided hose
15 feet of -8 braided hose
1 fuel pressure regulator

Wow, I have 1600 dollars in bottle warmers, never looked at it like that!
When I was saying "they" were running our of fuel, I meant the anderson guys. My fuel system consists of the 2 big fuel pumps, a fuel pressure regulator, and stock from there on. Any tips on what I should go with there?

Wow, really???? Lance and those guys wouldn't do it???? There's a Toyomoto IS300 here in town, and not to take away from Toyomoto, they never hooked up the water line to the turbo. Completely refused to. Then at Bradenton, we talked with the Garrett turbo guy about it, and he told us point blank that it was a matter of time until turbo failure. I suppose the water line in the turbo is there for a reason. But again, I'm sure Toyomoto had thier reasons, but I wouldn't let it roll out of the shop without it.

If you're going with a standalone, then you may want to consider running the N2O through there, and not having a mechanical pressure switch and other regalia. You can make it rpm dependant, in relation to engine load and throttle position. Thay way there's less chance for error. You can also set in fail safes that read knock voltage, fuel pressure, and any lean conditions refernced fom your wideband O2. As with the N2O purge, you can install a fuel purge for your fuel solenoid. It may flood the motor for an instant, but you'll be 100% certain that you're operating fully.

What cc injectors are you considering? What wideband O2 are you going with?

Any pics of the project? I'd love to see it.

Thanks man!

Eric

I didn't spend much time figuring out hte injectors or o2 yet, because I've been spending all my time figuring out the turbo's. Looks like we're going to go gt30r twins with a smaller a/r. I don't know the what number the "smaller" a/r will be, the tuner has to figure that one out. I'm going to suggest that he call the manufacturer for their advice, and maybe buy this turbocalculator.com thing before we buy the units.

If the motec supports nitrous, It'd probably be a smart place to control it.

I'll have some good pics later this week, I'll upload them.

Cowboy, my goodness, I want to hear about your ride! Sounds like you don't take any prisoners!

Ehhhh, it has it's moments. I rarely push it though.

94Supra turbo GT4788mm. There's a few pics floating around Lextreme of the motor, and one of the whole package. It made Modified Magazine in Nov. of this year.

Twin GT30's will respond very well in a 4L motor. You should be tapping on 4 digits if they're pushed to the limit, although the top end may suffer a little. How much control over the build exactly does the shop have, if it's ok to ask? Most shops don't deal in parts anymore unless they're selling you something, if you know what I mean.

If the wideband hasn't been decided upon, I would HIGHLY recomend the FJO. It's pricey, but the sensor won't crap out on you on the first tank of C16 like the Bosch sensors will.

Eric

We've got ultimate parts flexibility as the shop and I finished the nitrous but are still negotiating the twin turbo. That can work out how I want with them, or I can take it to anyone still. I'm partial to shops in south FLA, because it saves on transportation costs, and I've found that's there's one, maybe 2 things that will help get a shop to finish a hard job. 1. Don't pay them a lot up front. 2. Camp out in their shop and eyeball them to death. Only the first one is fun.

Shops would be much more likely to finish the job if there were more documented examples of what to do. There's like less than 10 on earth? GS400 or 430 twins. Fitting the turbos and getting them piped in are I think what scares everyone off. Maybe that or having to build your own stand alone...The list of guys that want to work on your supra is like trying to get a date as prom queen.

To get the GS400 worked on is more like..hard to find an anology. Getting the prom queen and the whole cheerleading team to gangbang you.

I hear that. Larry at Innovations is interested in the 4.7L swap in to a Supra, but it's not quite a drop in process as of yet. There's a lot of plusses and minues.

Positive:

MKIV valvetrain fits well on the Tundra block
AEM EMS plugs into the 1/2/3uz-fe harness with no modification
Iron block
Great rod ratio
Available manifolds

Negative:

Building the motor goes without saying
Custom Motor mounts needed
Needs a V160 adapter
No cams available as of yet, custom grinding required
Quite heavy even compared to the 2JZ

It took exactly one year to finish my project. I have found that the best way to get a long and hard project finished is to roll up your sleeves and jump in with the shop. : ) : ) It really motivates them to get the job done. : ) If you're doing it, they damn sure better be doing it.

Eric

All the guys that used to run v8 (bullish, craig paisley, all the other guys...) they're all using the 2jzgte's now right? When I first picked the 1uz, it was because I had one, and I figured if you start with 33 percent more horsepower than the 2jz, you should end with about the same. Going about it all again, I'd buy where someone left off and save a few years. lingenfelter vette would do.

I think if the engine pops again, I'd be better off just lengthening the front of the car and putting in something like this: http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0410pon_butler/

Do it sick once and forget about it.

Anyone found a better motor than that one? The 2000HP in the le1 groundfighter was nice, but can't get nitro at the hess station.