FI air flow meter position

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

krayn

Hi all,
Im doing a little reasearch on FI. Is it best to put the type of air flow meter we have before the turbo. Can it be place between the throttle body and intercooler up, this would place it in the pressure side. Any thoughts???

that's an interesting thought.... but thinking about it, the 1uz's afm is of the karman vortex variety... which means air turbulence is an important factor... and thinking further, wouldnt having the BOV between the afm and turbo create too much distortion to turbulence when the throttle closes?

ok hard to explain.... but bare with me for a moment...

as i understand it, the time between when the throttle closes and the BOV opens, pressure (waves) are bounced against the throttle and back to the turbo... this of course would have passed through the afm on it's way back to the turbo.... now i understand the BOV is suppose to open to release that excess pressure... but realistically, it is a little delayed... will that give enough time for the distortion to the turbulence to create a problem for the ecu??

TB (open)---<vortex spirals<---AFM---<-----BOV----<---IC--<---Turbo
TB (closed)---->disruption to vortex spirals>--AFM--->--open BOV--<---IC

I know it is only for a moment, but is it enough to mess the fuel mapping?

depending of on the placement of the bov and type of bov. I placed between IC and AFM. The BOV is close to the IC. Secondly depending on type of BOV. I would stay away from Greddy Types S or R. This BOV release too much air and your engine will die if release too fast. I have Tial 50mm and its sequential release and really love it.

My BOV is placed at the above mention and dont have any problem.

david

Aaron,

The 7MGTE guys leave the AFM in the stock position.

They use the 1UZ AFM as it has a larger diameter, hence flows more air. They use 550cc injectors and a mild treak on the AFM adjusting screw and it seems to work well.

The Canadian Soarer Club sells a kit for it.

What we need to do is have some enterprising soul make a larger AFM we can install our sensors in and go the same route.