Factory ECU rev limit?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

GSMnow

Maybe someone with an LS400 can answer these for me.

The engine in question is most likely going to be a 1993. At what RPM does the stock ECU shut down the engine? Is it a brick wall cut out, or a smooth loss of torque? If you have the shifter in manual second, how many MPH is it going when it cuts out? (to figure torque convertor slippage). In manual second, will it still downshift to first when you get on the throttle hard at low speeds, or does it stay in second? Is there any form of rev limit altering device available like the HKS FCD or such to raise or eliminate the rev limiter?

The rest of this post is explaining my reason to rev
I have not received my engine/trans/ECU yet, but I have been doing some ratio calculating and I am hoping I can rev this thing a bit higher than 6000 rpm on the stock ECU. I know the power falls off up there (especially with stock cams and all) but I have a specific reason. My rear end is a 3.727 and I autocross race on tires only 22.6 inches tall. With the stock A341E trans from the LS-400 this puts me under 70 mph at 6000 rpm in second gear even without figuring in torque convertor slip. With my turboed 22RE I was revving it out to 7200 rpm with a W58 trans to make most courses without needing that extra shift to 3rd. That motor was cammed for a power peak under 6000 and my best 0-60 mph runs where from shifting at 6200 or so, but NOT shifting to 3rd on a tight autocross course was much faster considering I would be dropping back to 2nd in a heartbeat since the courses have about 40 turns in 40 seconds. The last season with the turbo motor I only used 3rd at a huge nationals event where I topped out over 80 mph so the shift was not a big deal. On most course run locally, I was able to lock it in second and run all day with maybe a tap of my rev limiter at the very fastest portion of the course. Even running the auto trans, I hate to have it shifting because it upsets the balance of the car while cornering beyond normal limits. The engine braking of staying in second makes the car rotate very nicely in drop throttle. 3rd won't pull down like that, and the down shift could come mid corner. OUCH. I really would like a manual trans and a settable rev limiter, but as I am building this as a California legal car, I must run the stock ECU and for now that may require the stock auto trans to be there as well since I must run the US spec ECU. The car must test as if it is a stock LS-400. Any mods have to be CARB emissions approved.

Gary M.

hi gary, i might be able to answer a few questions-- but it does not hurt to get many opinions..

the rev limiter,- i have noticed that the engine seems to bounce of the limiter.. kinda like a wall.. the ecu will just not let you get past it.. actually, it might be a good thing.. i remember reading that someone had a rod let go at 7800..even though it has good internals/rods, high rpm may be to much for the original rods.. im not saying they are limited by power output, but when they are pulling the piston down, it may be to much stress at a high rpm....

also ,the trans..- you can and should use the original ecu, especially in cali-- but since the trans is electronically controlled--you may be able to override the ecus shift points or whatever.. i believe there are guys on this forum that make boxes that will allow complete controll over when the trans shifts--manually..

i think that with the v8s low end torque, you may not need to rev the motor .. but time will tell..

If I could find an 7.5 inch F-series 3.42 ring and pinion from a Celica / Supra / pickup / 4 Runner / Cresida , etc. I would be just fine with a 6,000 rpm rev limit, but my search for those gears is coming up blank. I had a 3.42 in the car but it was the weak 6.7 inch and I ripped the teeth off the pinion on my first 220 hp turbo setup. I am way past that now and need at least the 7.5 inch diff. All the aftermarket gears are 4.1 and up. With a 4.1 I was making 12 or more shifts per run.

Gary M.

Do you know the axle code for the 3.58 F diff and what vehicles it came in. I have never been able to find one. I found 2 3.727 and trashed one. My current one is going to need a re-build (re-shim the LSD) but the gears seem okay. If I can find a 3.58 while I am at it, I will swap it in.

Gary M.

Thanks Peewee. I will doo a search around here for an 83 to 85 Celica GT-S (RA-65) to see if any have an F372 on the plate. My current diff is an F-303 Supra LSD.