Engine Girdle

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Intrestingly I have just been reading up on this very subject and I think I know exactly where that LS1 engine/crank girdle comes from.

I was wondering how this could be applied to the 1UZFE engine to avoid the potential of the block cracking at high power levels (800-1000bhp+). Would this actually help? Where would it shift that figure?

Would it be possible to design the girdle to be a crank scraper/windage preventor at the same time? What are peoples thoughts on crank scrapers/windage preventing?

Intrestingly I have just been reading up on this very subject and I think I know exactly where that LS1 engine/crank girdle comes from.

I was wondering how this could be applied to the 1UZFE engine to avoid the potential of the block cracking at high power levels (800-1000bhp+). Would this actually help? Where would it shift that figure?

Would it be possible to design the girdle to be a crank scraper/windage preventor at the same time? What are peoples thoughts on crank scrapers/windage preventing?

my thought on crank scrapers is that there are more effecient methods to keep oil off the crank. there are ceramic coatings for the crank and rods that keep heavy oil from accumulating and keeping parasitic loss down. a ceramic coating also doesnt need to be reengineered for every engine, like a crank scraper would be. as for windage, that could be useful if an engine doesnt have ceramic coatings.

Anaema,

You like ceramic coatings don't you.

I agree they are brilliant at certain tasks but I hesitate at crankshafts.

The 1UZ doesn't need scrappers as it runs a windage tray standard,

Scrapers are good with old Chevs and Fords.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
Anaema,

You like ceramic coatings don't you.

I agree they are brilliant at certain tasks but I hesitate at crankshafts.

The 1UZ doesn't need scrappers as it runs a windage tray standard,

Scrapers are good with old Chevs and Fords.

yes, i like ceramics, they have alot of good qualities, and some bad ones. i see absoluteley no problem with coating a crank shaft as long as you use the coating that will do whats needed, shed oil off the crank shaft, a crank scraper wouldnt remove oil from the whole crank. a windage tray eliminate the need for either, as you said.

Okay, so would it be possible to build a engine girdle without interfering with the windage tray, baring in mind I don't have much of a visual image of the design of the windage tray and how it works and how an engine girdle would be design for these specific series of engines.

Attachments

• 1uzassembly5.JPG
    1uzassembly5.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 15
  • 1uzassembly6.JPG
    1uzassembly6.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1uzassembly7.JPG
    1uzassembly7.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 17
Engine Girdle Construction Considerations

Excerpt from www.Bulltear.com forum for AMC: http://tinyurl.com/235p7a

AMC block is cast Iron - yet materials considerations are valid for a Toyota Alloy Engine.

"Well they may have a couple of issues."

"One is that the expansion rate MUST be the same as the stock cap.

1045 is the popular choice of material and it has a co-efficient of thermal expansion that is VERY close to the stock caps and block, 212 - 750 deg F. is 5.9-7.5 (per pro grams specs) Which is probly heat treated.

When you use a plasma or lasered piece and it expands much greater than those numbers (mild steel) then your nuts will loosen.

Material stability is another one...mild steel will dance under the heat due to the stresses (unless stress relieved) and for that length and thickness of material if it is indeed mild steel it can cause bearing issues.

All this considering the machinist hasn't done his math on the material involved. :boggled:

Other considerations would be the flatness of the material.

Blanchard grinding give materials a ultra flat surface, better than just a machined surface.

The holes should also be VERY close to .500. Hopefully all this is integrated into this item."