Engine Bulid Help.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

lowshow

HELP ME OUT PLEASE

i am having an engine fully rebuilt. Am wanting to stay with the standard ecu, piggy back at worse. i want a good tuff street engine. what do i need to do??? N/A please dont need big power just enough. God set of pistons/rods etc... what has been achived/expected power and how??? it is in a 2wd hilux toyota crown engine and auto, shift kitted and 2800 stall, std hilux LSD. Can the computer keep up...

Any suggestions Welcome,

cheers brendan

i have a good engine builder but he has only ever done all the heads for other people, he's very good. he just never done a performance combos

spoke to engine builder today, we were thinkin full strip down, clean, new performance crank, rods, pistons, higher compression, fully flow heads with bigger inlet and out let valves, port pollish, big cams, got big custom coated headers and full twin 2.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust, maybe custom intake later(dont know if it'll get me better performance or just looks) tune.

tell me if thats a good idea????

If you're going to spend all that money building the engine you mention in post #4, why on earth would you even consider using the standard ECU? Would be a waste of time really, you'll never unleash the potential.
You'd be much better going aftermarket.

Lowshow,

Why a "performance" crank?

The 1UZ has a mighty tough crank and many have seen well over 600hp for steeet use with the stock stick. Stick with it and save some money.

Rods, go Argo probably the best bang for your buck in Australia. I have anew engine with these rods.

For pistons check out what is available from this site.

Porting, make sure your man knows what he is doing.

Bigger valves = really big $.

Big cams will work withthe work you are talking about. These should suit the stally but won't make it fun to drive.

Headres will help when combined with the other mods. Can you fit them in a Lux?

2.5" exhaust isn't real big. I'm running dual 3" mandrel exhausts on my 1UZ.

You can't "tune" the Crown ECU and a piggy back can be overruled by the ECU as it learns what the engine is doing and then runs in the factory mode. It can use the amended information but still give factory output.

An aftermarket ECU will definitely be needed to run that combo.

Best bang for your buck would be to supercharge or turbo charge a standard engine and run an Autronic or similar ECU. Doallar for Dollar you would have better performance for way less dollars.

I would guess the engine you are talking about is a $20,000 engine whereas a turbo engine with more useable power may cost you less than $10,000

Check out Justen's Celica as a good example of what can be done with some turbos and an aftermarket ECU plus a lot of brainpower!

massive engine build finished with custom intake just for looks - i think the hint is right there, no?

Ed,

Do you support Lowshows ideas as I don't follow your post.

You have a fairly trick n/a engine so you can have some real input into guiding him.

i think we need a better indication of vehicle/engine goals, use, and budget

N/A please dont need big power just enough.

If you're not after a new record power wise, you'd be better spending less money and forget the bottem end of the motor as there's no point (most don't even bother with pistons for low boost levels.) Spend $ on some decent cams, a good exhaust and a good aftermarket ECU + tune. With the weight of a 2WD Lux that should see a pretty quick little ute, you'll need sand bags in the bag for traction hehe...

If you're looking for NA engine that can make good power, then I think you might look into Lextreme 4.7L package. http://www.lextreme.com/Lexus-4.7L-Tundra-swap.html. I drove his set up and I can testify it's really powerful. I drove his setup with lower compression. Once you have higher compression with this setup, complete exhaust, and proper tuning, you can have monster engine within the 400 bhp easily.

all great information this is what i need. a bit of history, i had the heads all reco'ed becuase the heads were worn( in the way of cam bearings and head gasket.) great quality import place that was... it seems to be having oil supply problem . we know it's an oil supply issue in block somewhere and have decided on a full strip down. it is the only way to do it properly i think. i just dont want anymore dramas... i have never had one of these engines and dont know what is needed and what is a waste of time, i know they are great engines but not sure where to go. i want a tuff n/a v8 that will get up and go. was chasing a mild 320rwhp. ya recon it is possible. i was trying to avoid taking it back to the wiring shop as it just come from there but if it needs it fair enough. i dont want a 20g engine i hope thats not how much it'll cost!!! what do you think i need to spend. i dont know why but he suggested while were going to put a new crank and balance it??? waste of time??? might of seen me comin ay?

ed check out my link mate. extra cab 2wd. have spent a few dollars dont mind spending it just dont like to waste it.. i like the drags. just need a bit more power but want it done properly so i dont have issues. wanna do it once. what do you think mate

stock motor is rooted so i just thought while its apart i might aswell put some goodies in there. plus i have had enough qld transport problems getting it on the road. s/c is not legal on my car. wanna keep it semi legal. sorta.

Yeah fair enough, generally speaking the bottom ends are fairly bomb proof unless you're boosting or have money to waste. You'd be better playing with the heads, intake and exhaust plus a good tune, then it will fly.

It may be cheaper to buy another engine and part your's out.

This way you get a good engine and you can turbo it with reasonable cost and get the performance you want.

Attachments

• Im001241.jpg
    Im001241.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 163
yer thats what i'm thinkin just waiting for the quote to come back and we'll see. i still want it to be reilable so what happens if i get another import and it shits itself.???

Attachments

• Im001242.jpg
    Im001242.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 162
Most engines have a warranty on them so get it checked out very well whilst warranty is still valid.

I've only heard of 2 crook engines in 4 years.