E92 M3 4.0L V8, 420HP @ 8300 295Tq @ 3900, 8400 Rev Limit, NA with ITBs, 56K warning

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
Hey everyone,

what do you guys think of the new M3 engine? take a look, my what an engine...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW released pictures of their newest M variant V8 engine this morning. This new high-revving engine is slated to power the first ever V8 M3. The all new M3 Concept Car was unveiled a couple of weeks ago at the Geneva Auto Show. The new M3 featuring this all new V8 engine should be unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 2007 as a 2008 model.

Here are some bullet points of the car and engine specifications.

• First eight-cylinder for the BMW M3 sports car.
• Supreme performance ensured by 309 kW/420 hp from 4.0 litres.
• Maximum torque of 400 Newton-metres (295 lb-ft) at 3, 900 rpm,
85 per cent of maximum torque over a speed range of 6,500 rpm.
• Unique thrust and muscle ensured by consistent implementation of the M high-speed engine concept, maximum engine speed 8,300 rpm.
• Consistent lightweight construction of engine and ancillary units,
new V8 power unit one of the lightest eight-cylinders in the world,
lighter than the straight-six power unit in the former model.
• Variable camshaft control, low-pressure double-VANOS for an
optimum charge cycle, system offering full power and performance even with normal engine oil pressure.
• Eight individual throttle butterflies for spontaneous engine response.
• Consistent and reliable oil supply with longitudinal and lateral acceleration up to 1.4 g ensured by two oil pumps and wet sump oil lubrication optimised for supreme dynamic behaviour.
• Exhaust system optimising cylinder charge, optimised for weight and function by means of internal high-pressure remoulding, exhaust emissions fulfil EU4 and LEV 2 standards.
• Upgraded MSS60 engine control unit for optimum coordination of all engine functions with the various control systems in the car.
• Ion flow technology recognising and distinguishing engine knocking phenomena as well as misfiring and miscombustion by measurement of ion flow in the combustion chambers.
• Brake Energy Regeneration with intelligent alternator control.

Feature/entity 2nd engine of the M engine family

Fuel Otto RON 98 (95)

Max output hp (kW) 420 (309)

at min–1 8,300

Max torque Nm 400

at min–1 3,900

Max engine speed min–1 8,400

Stroke mm 75.2

Bore mm 92.0

Displacement cm3 3,999

Distance between cylinders mm 98

Cylinder arrangement 8-cylinder V-engine

Valve plate diameter, intake mm 35.0

Valve plate diameter, outlet mm 30.5

Compression ratio 12.0

Fuel injection Intake pipe fuel injection

Fuel injection pressure bar 3–6

Average combustion chamber pressure bar 12.6

Maximum combustion chamber pressure bar 100

Engine weight to BMW standard kg 202

Output per litre hp/L 105

Power-to-weight ratio kg/kW 0.65

Crankcase Aluminium

Valvetrain Infinite camshaft adjustment

and hydraulic valve clearance adjustment

for intake and outlet (double VANOS)

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-06.jpg

bmw-m3-v8-dyno-specs.jpg

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-07.jpg

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-03.jpg

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-02.jpg

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-01.jpg

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-00.jpg

bmw-m3-e92m3-official-engine-pictures-10.jpg

Here is a short video showing some parts of the engine being put together, http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=13&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

They say the new M3 drives like the "old" E39 M5....rev happy engine and very comfortable....but not the M3 the "hardcore" M3 fans were waiting for...
I also own an 2000 E39 M5 and absolutely love to drive it....has 120.000 miles on it...and tops 185+ mph easily.....but really miss the turbo feeling...

The new M3 engine is offcourse a masterpiece in design....

With all due respect to RMS, this M3 engine will be more streetable, more reliable (probably, in that it won't need rebuilding/constant checking) and probably costs the same as a crate engine, maybe even less? :D

105bhp/litre NA isn't bad going at all!

a cool fact on the engine, is that the entire block is made out of aluminum and the pistons have cast iron infused into them!!!! Is this new to a street motor???
I just got done reading an article on the new motor, and they say it is very smooth. Puts the power done very linear.
Wish they would have used some real race technology and made it an affordable flat plane V8....

With all due respect to RMS, this M3 engine will be more streetable, more reliable (probably, in that it won't need rebuilding/constant checking) and probably costs the same as a crate engine, maybe even less? :D

105bhp/litre NA isn't bad going at all!

I agree with all apart from the cost.
I think they will be VERY expensive to buy and parts will be unaffordium and almost unobtainium.

Hey lex do BMW subscribe to Lextreme?

Quad cam all alloy v8 with ITB's look's like thay have spies in your workshop Erol.

I want one.

I am pretty sure BMW engineers come by once a while. We love all of them. I am pretty sure RMS can detune his engine to make it last as long as BMW's