Dont Waste Your Money On A Lexus V8...Get a chev

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-HZ

Hi,
Today I went to a major parts dealer to see if I could price some piston rings and big end and main bearings. And all I got from this BOGAN was a wrap on how cheap you can build a 600hp small block chevy that will rev to 8000rpm all day...for $5000. Oh don't forget guys, putting a 1uz in HZ Kingswood wont make me any friends coz it's not a freakin chevy. If I wanted to make friends with guys like him, I'd cut my hair so I'd have a mullet put a Holley on a "super tough" 2 bolt 308 and have a drum brake 9inch diff and 14 inch wheels. NOW THAT'S TUFF!!! I wont be goin back there I tell ya

Hahaha, sounds pretty typical.

I highly doubt "a 600hp small block chevy that will rev to 8000rpm all day" built for anything less than 20,000 will last more than 2 runs down the drag strip.

100hp/L, reliable, and drivable from a pushrod? I think not.

ask him if he could do a full conversion with 190kw for under 2 grand, not with a chev thats fr sure! my conv owes me after selling old motor/box about $1800, cheapr and waaaaay better than any chev, and gets 25mpg.....

The thing that really got me frustrated was his opinion that I wouldn't make friends...I have friends that have supported me with this project, as if I need his kind of friends.

even my mullet haired bogon friends luv my conversion, but I didnt do it to please them, I guess by the way he treated you he doesnt make friend easy and needs a car to do it for him. The mullet brigade still reakon it needs a twin system with a couple of hot dogs so "it'll sound just like the 253 in me pv"

Sadly people are like sheep, no one likes to think outside the square and prefer to just follow along with what everyone has done in the past. I have a VL Calais, everyone assumes its just another turbo RB30 just like if u have a kingswood everyone assumes it must be a Chev - being different is much better!

For the record though, and in defence of all the bogans out there, a friend had a 340 chysler that revved to 8k+ using stock rods, crank and 2 bolt mains for well over 3 years, best 1/4 mile was a 10.92 and it cost about 5-6k - we pulled it down and there were a few small problems nothing major (bearing caps were walking around a little which was expected) but decided it would be a good idea to put some eagle rods and pins in for some peace of mind, 3 months later exit one gudgeon pin and no more engine.

I have nothing against traditional engines, until I found out about the 1uz, I thought the Chrysler was the toughest (in factory form) engine around and I almost built one of them instead, I didn't mean to cause offence, I don't think anyones a bogan just coz they like a pushrod V8, it's the was the way he went about he's preaching.

No offence taken 1UZ-HZ : ) Was just showing whats possible, a 1UZ is gonna cost way more in the end and people may not appreciate it as much but one things for sure the biggest smile will belong to the owner.

Make sure u line this guy up in the HZ once its completed : )

I always wanted to build a hemi engined car. The hemi I always wanted happened to be a MOPAR.

Now I've found a sweeter hemi that will give more hp per litre and last for ages.

Forgrt iron blocks unles their 2UZ's.

Peewee said:

uh...actually we just made 120hp from a supercharged A12 with twin SUs (the 1.2L B210 Datsun engines (120Y for us aussies!) )

but yeah, i had the same thing. some bloke telling me his GM6/71 blown small bolck was the cheapest fun he's ever had.

all this for "just" $15k....i had to laugh - and agree coz he was making my tailshaft so i didn't want to offend him!

Peewee said:
Hahaha, sounds pretty typical.

I highly doubt "a 600hp small block chevy that will rev to 8000rpm all day" built for anything less than 20,000 will last more than 2 runs down the drag strip.

You are a funny person.

Let's talk some smack shall we. <- this also is in response to another thread concerning the corvette and cobra and how they fit into this boards world.

I see 10 if not 20 700RWHP mustangs all day long in POS Dallas, Texas -granted they are not pushrod anymore. In fact I recently came across 4 people in a 89 fox they pulled up to me at about 140 and exploded away as if I was standing still, I might have reached 160 before they where ~2 miles ahead of me on 635 and the toll way. All on 1 big @sss turbo and no NOS plumbing - that I believe is an older pushrod!

Because of this story, I myself am in the market for mark3 supra and am doing a little research on turbo imports (yes, I know that the mark 3 uses a different engine, thank you), but turbo research is well, research.

Anyway the Mustangs and Cobras can run all day long with these HP levels, it's no big deal, it’s been done for years and years. We use the same aftermarket materials for our upgrades as you folks do for yours, albeit different manufactures. Matter of fact the ford guys have a distinct advantage over the Toyota guys; there are millions of cheap fords to blow up/experiment with compared to nice Toyotas.

Can I stand on a soapbox and claim that a ford is every bit as good as a Toyota? No that would be foolish! Hey, I also own a 93 Landcruiser with 300k miles :) and I'm not even going to try to compare an exploder to a LC. Ford’s quality is a word and not a lifestyle as everyone knows that’s owned a Toyota.

Now getting back to some of your wild claims, $20,000 for a Cobra engine? Are you out of your mind? Can they cost that much? Sure, but don't make it sound as if it's the entry level ($20k) price and “Scotty will she hold together!” They are quite reliable and stout high revving engines, but world beaters no!

In the Ford world, I currently own the "expensive" vehicle, the Lightning.

Why is it expensive?

Well not because its better, it's only because of the lower quantities 5.4 sc vs. 4.6. Short blocks = $3200, heads/cams =$2000, exhaust = $1500, supercharger = $3200 all of this will net you about 800RWHP. BTW ALL DAY LONG, 100's and 100's of 10 second runs by a 5000 pound truck. I personally think these prices are quite reasonable compared to some of the mark 3 packages, now we really are talking $20k for a package that will not really separate you from really anyone else.

OK I'm not here to sell any one a Ford so back on track a little.

What makes this new Cobra a nice car is the 450hp, which is not 450 import hp, just like my truck, it only made 360 crank hp from the factory, well when Dallas Mustang dynoed it made 355 RWHP. I know BS flag! -----> www.f150online.com you can read about it all day long if you wish. This is the other reason why you don't hear about that POS DODGE SRT-10 500 hp truck; it's not any faster than a Lightning.... 500 at the crank on the Dodge is about the same as 355RWHP on the stock Lightning.

Oh yes back to the Cobra; 450 is going to be way, way under rated, more on the order of 450RWHP and I don't need to tell you guys about 8 pound pulley swaps do I? We have a super ford tuner over here that’s already got his hands on a gt-40 and with a simple tune and pulley change he’s lifting the heads and I heard that he made 850 RWHP on his FIRST run. So the new cobra engine and the gt-40 are somewhat similar but different in displacement, but built by the same modular development team.

To finish off this diatribe the Cobra at $40k + $200 pulley swap + $450 reprogramming is going to ruin a lot of 500 hp Corvettes next year. Unfortunately it will not be a sleeper, nor will anyone get their grimy mitts on one for suggested retail.

Like anything anybody mods, it’s really your tuner that will create the longevity of your engine and not a bunch of discrete imported parts (hey my Lightning parts are also imported so calm down).

And nice to meet you guys.

Nice to see you joined up just to make that post.

A) Why say all that stuff about the Ford motor when its not a pushrod? Its completely pointless to the arguement

B) That $20k was AUD, and by the time you get all the gear to make 600hp on an SBC that can rev to 8k all day long you will be up around that mark.

C) Thats NA horsepower, no turbos, no NOS, no superchargers.

Peewee said:
Nice to see you joined up just to make that post.

A) Why say all that stuff about the Ford motor when its not a pushrod? Its completely pointless to the arguement

B) That $20k was AUD, and by the time you get all the gear to make 600hp on an SBC that can rev to 8k all day long you will be up around that mark.

C) Thats NA horsepower, no turbos, no NOS, no superchargers.
a)You need to read the post closer, it includes both.

b)By the time that I read your entire post the the US dollar could match the AU dollar. Again you need to reread the post, do you have a reading disorder?

c)Do you understand horsepower and how it applies in the real world to different markets? Do I need to go into another diatribe to explain small displacement engines that have to be rev to 4k and 5k rpm to leave a stop light? This is rocket science you know, as in 1930's rocket science!

rpm x torque = hp

Yes you are correct, that stinging expierence was a slap in your face.

The Australian Dollar is currently trading at 76.12 US cents an falling like a brick.

By the time you read this thread it could be 65 US cents!

Building tough US V8 in our country is a very expensive proposition. AUD$15-20,000.00 is easilly spent on an LS1 to give a reliable and safe 650FWHP.

I priced up a B & M pro-stick shifter tody $350.00 Australian Dollars whilst Jegs sell them for $150.00 US. Go figure. Our Government extract a heavy toll from those that use forign parts.

f1car said:
a)You need to read the post closer, it includes both.

b)By the time that I read your entire post the the US dollar could match the AU dollar. Again you need to reread the post, do you have a reading disorder?

c)Do you understand horsepower and how it applies in the real world to different markets? Do I need to go into another diatribe to explain small displacement engines that have to be rev to 4k and 5k rpm to leave a stop light? This is rocket science you know, as in 1930's rocket science!

rpm x torque = hp

Yes you are correct, that stinging expierence was a slap in your face.

it is your right to be offended as much as it is Peewee's right to offend. remember, democracy works both ways.

that said, insults have no place on this forum.
tone it down please or further action will be taken.

F1car, I think its you who needs to how horsepower works.

600hp from an SBC (I am here thinking of a 350chev from the 80's, as that was what the original post was about), would require just over 105hp/L.

Now, 105hp/L from an SBC, without force induction, is a big ask, especially when you want it to last up to long abuse, hell, 100+hp/L from any motor these day is a big ask.
But you are not going to do it with an SBC, reliably, and cheaply.

Where as 105hp/L with some form of forced induction is pathetic, even 200hp/L from forced induction isn't very impressive these days.

Think about the argument before you join in next time ok.