Destruction of Thrown Rods

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Here are some pictures of thrown rods from a Tundra 2UZFE Iron block with 9 psi out of a TRD Supercharger along with 150 shot of NOS. This motor will be getting a brand new set of Eagle H-Beam Rods, Ross custom pistons, 4 Bolt main conversion and ARP studs all over.

Meanwhile, this is something you dont want to see from your engine. With such distruction, the crank still good.

makes me think twice about thinking to use stock 2UZ rods............... that must have really sucked

I heard there were fuel mixture issues. They had to use a 9th injector, and I don't thnk the fuel distribution was very good. They really should have tried to incclude an intercooler. They also did not really get to modify the stock ECU directly. Believe it or not, TRD USA does not have a close enough relationship with Toyota Japan to get that kind request in (but maybe it's different now?)

Personally, with that level of destruction I would NOT re-use anything from that engine. The crank may look ok but is it? Maybe for a stock engine but not one intended for mass output. The block is trash. The head were hammered. I say start with a fresh engine.

While it is possible that the power from the boost and nitrous exceeded the load capacity it is more likely that this engine had pre-ignition or was way over rev'd.

Pre-ignition happens way before TDC and can be similar to hydralocking the engine. Too high of rpm can easily exceed the load capacity for an engine. Detonation is another possible culprit. I hope we can rule out oil or cooling issues.

JBrady said:
Personally, with that level of destruction I would NOT re-use anything from that engine. The crank may look ok but is it? Maybe for a stock engine but not one intended for mass output. The block is trash. The head were hammered. I say start with a fresh engine.

While it is possible that the power from the boost and nitrous exceeded the load capacity it is more likely that this engine had pre-ignition or was way over rev'd.

Pre-ignition happens way before TDC and can be similar to hydralocking the engine. Too high of rpm can easily exceed the load capacity for an engine. Detonation is another possible culprit. I hope we can rule out oil or cooling issues.
I'm with stupid. I wouldn't use a block that was stress out like that.

Here are some more pictures of this distruction. Wayne (owner of this engine or what is left of it) opened up the engine and massive distruction. This is what he said " have the engine apart....Wow! I've blown up some engines before, but never like this! took out 5 rods and 4 pistons! I'm sending the pics for your info. Don't ever let anyone tell you that the 2uzfe crank won't hold up....you have the proof! Minor gouges on some counterweights.....even the two bolt mains held up."

WOhooo, That's done very nice!

Thumbs up for the cranck not breaking, at the 2 broken rods.

what revs dit this happen at? and at what power (on the dyno graph revs/vs power)

regards Thomas

This motor is HISTORY>>>> Eagle Rods will be in a different motor....

Attachments

• cad1a.jpg
    cad1a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 85
  • cad2a.jpg
    cad2a.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 38
  • cad3a.jpg
    cad3a.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 475