Destroking

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I think the Ferrari 208 was a destroked 308.

To 208 was a quad cam 2 litre V8 sold mainly in italy for road tax purposes.

From what I can remember they sortened the 3 litre engines stroke plus reduced the bore to get the 2 litre capacity.

I'll check on Monday as I have the stats in my office library.

I will be destroking an SR20DE for my Nissan NX using the factory 1.6 crank that's available. My rod/stroke ratio will go from 1.58 to 2.2. I'm trying to make a high-revving engine on a budget.

Hello guys im new here :)

I think destroking the stock 1uzfe (unless making a new billet cranckshaft) would weaken the stock cranck, senseless.

With a stroke already short (i recon honda guys doing 9500 daily drivers on similar strokes) this is about the limit how small you want the stroke to be.

Finding proper con rods and pistons suited for such rpm reliably (i havent seen any mentioned over here) is far more interesting for me.

ive heard that forged SB Chevy offset rods have been used. you could(in theory) use the lightweight versions of those rods and custom pistons.

The rod journals of the 1UZ are so huge that you could probably offset grind them without affecting crank strength, surely at least in an N/A application. They are 3mm larger than the standard Honda journal size, so right there you could move the stroke +-6mm.

It might make sense to destroke it by 6mm (a lot of the Nascar engines use that Honda journal size) but you're going to have to do some pretty hefty head work to make use of your newfound 10,000 rpm revving ability.

I agree that 82.5mm is already a pretty small stroke to start with. Guys like John Shepherd are turning almost 11k with 88mm stroke, so it might make sense to stroke that 6mm the other way, and get some extra displacement with it...

I started looking into this after I got screwed by the new rules for our division - talk was it was going to 4.0Ltr so we gambled and bought an engine... and the rule became 3.5ltr...

You need to take 5mm off the crank and use 10mm longer rods for teh cheapest destroked option. but its still gonna cost ya!

We're going to use both the 4.0Ltr and a 3.4 VVT from a camry for certain events... its cheaper and fatter on torque than a 3.5ltr 1UZ...

I started looking into this after I got screwed by the new rules for our division - talk was it was going to 4.0Ltr so we gambled and bought an engine... and the rule became 3.5ltr...

You need to take 5mm off the crank and use 10mm longer rods for teh cheapest destroked option. but its still gonna cost ya!

We're going to use both the 4.0Ltr and a 3.4 VVT from a camry for certain events... its cheaper and fatter on torque than a 3.5ltr 1UZ...

what about a 1UZFE crank in a 2UZFE block?

You can use 4G63 Mitsubishi rods, from the late model engine used in the EVO with 7 bolt flywheel. It has the same pin size and the big end is small enough to drop the stroke by 7mm to 75mm, the rod is 4mm longer so the piston will only 0.5mm higher with standard piston compression heights. The only rod machining needed is to pull the big end width down which allows you to correct the rod offset. They are also cheap a set of 4 on eBay is around $299.
Sounds like a cheap way to make a 3670cc V8 screamer.

Steven

What are the cylinder offsets for the 4G63 motors?

Attachments

• Manifold design.jpg
    Manifold design.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 222
What are the cylinder offsets for the 4G63 motors?

As far as I know they don't have offset, but their big end width is 1.032" or 26.21mm which is about 3.25mm wider (from memory, which likes playing tricks on me) than stock 1uz-fe rods.
So while machining them down you can get the 0.96mm offset of the stock rod.

Steven

As far as I know they don't have offset, but their big end width is 1.032" or 26.21mm which is about 3.25mm wider (from memory, which likes playing tricks on me) than stock 1uz-fe rods.
So while machining them down you can get the 0.96mm offset of the stock rod.

Steven

Dohhh, sorry about that. I forgot we're talking about a 4 cylinder engine Mitsu motor here, so of course there's no offsets. Just another very early morning brain fart.

which is about 3.25mm wider

thast a metric assload to have to take off the rod

will the bearings still fit? will the structure of the flare into the bigend remain uncompromised? i assume you read the stuff on the lentz rods i bought?

Yes Ed, all good questions, none of which i have a exact answer for.
Its about 1.6mm per side give or take for the offset.
But as we are looking at offset grinding the journal 7mm perhaps we could widen the journal a little to easy the amount off the rod width.
We would have to get hold of a rod and take it from there.

The 1.8lt Mitsubishi Mirage has the same journal diameter but a narower width bearing so theres a shell, but there would be many others to use depending on the shells tag position.

Steven