Changing out the DRIVESHAFT?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I am looking into beefing up and reducing weight in the driveshaft from the stock steel sc400...Don't know which type shaft is the best to get, Alluminum, Carbon Fiber, etc...Anyone have any experience on this.....What is the best bang for the buck, anyone?:smileysex

I am thinking about contacting a custom driveshaft company and get a GP going for the SC400. I was thinking about aluminum. Its lighter and alot cheaper then carbon fiber. If you want to donate your driveshaft for few weeks then its a go.

I would be willing to do that, got an extra drive shaft laying around my yard....Aluminum is what I was thinking too...There is a big custom drive shaft company in the Valley that make alluminum driveshafts...Looking into that today will post findings. They estimate the weight of the new alluminum driveshaft for the Lexus's to be 11lbs in weight... Don't know how much the stock driveshaft is, but I am sure it is nowhere near 11lbs...Alluminum driveshafts that these guys make can handle up too 600hp....Still waiting on price...

Well Lex I was working with the biggest driveshaft company in the LA area to make the SC alluminum driveshaft...I even motivated him with the possibility of bulk makes...

Cannon Engineering Inc...
www.cannonengineering.com

His alluminum welder couldn't make it for the price the owner and I agreed on...So I said the deal is off and now I need to pic up my sample SC driveshaft which I was going to give to you in the valley and seek out a new maker and source..I was quoted $600 now they want more like a $1000 and can't give me a gaurantee after everything is done...I just think it was too hard of a make for them to accomplish, this company's strengh is in steel shafts and not alluminum...

So for now it is back to the drawing board....However, I am finding out the Alluminum driveshafts are somewhat delicate and should be considered carefully before purchasing. Example: something hits them they get dinged or dented easily and can become out of balance..There has been some reported failure on these alluminum driveshafts also, one guy had two alluminum shafts fail on the same car and one snapped at high speeds and created alot of damage under the car....that was on a Supra....This guy responded to my alluminum driveshaft post on the Club Forum. So I am trying hard to find the best and most reliable company to make the driveshaft with some measure of reliability...Looks like my search is taking me out of State... I will get back and post on my finding shortly...

My guess is the shorter steel shaft that is being made for you is to accomadate the Th400 tranny swap?

Oh and Yes the one peice alluminum shaft is an estimated 11lbs in total which is about 10 or more pounds lighter then our stock steel shaft and your right the lighter shaft will eliminate high speed vibrations as long as the shaft stays in balance... Also reducing weight off the moving parts on the drivetrain is big.......

Hey Jibbby,

I went to a driveshaft shop today and talk to them about modifying the TH400 yoke with Lexus yoke. I also asked about the alumimum driveshaft. They said its about $400-600 USD. I wonder if we can get a bunch of people and create a GP on this.

The first two pictures are standard yoke for TH and Lexus. The last picture is photoshop how it would look like once modified and balanced.

Lex -The modifying/fitting of the yokes looks tricky, good luck.... I thought you might consider a Chevy rear end to accomadate the Th400 swap which is a stronger rear end then the stock Lexus.., but you would need to weld away for that...Todd did that on his SC400 build and it looked nice....That was a year ago...

If you do start a group buy and can manufacture those Alluminum shafts for $400-$600 count me in.....Let me know how I can help....

OK Sounds good... I will give Jim a call.....I am wondering how much demand there is for a replacement alluminum driveshaft for the LS and SC's? Besides us whom else is interested? I would be happy to work this out in bulk and negotiate for a cheaper price if I know there is a demand...Anyway I will talk with Jim and see what we can come up with...Thanks for the contact info and lead.....

I don't want to be a wet blanket but consider very carefully before going to an alloy driveshaft , consider the gains that can be made over the destruction if one lets go , is it worth it ?
I myself like trick stuff even when it's just for the fact of it , but these are after all street cars .
I have seen 4 alloy driveshaft failures , two of those where on Ford falcons that are stock , Ford here in Aus has had a heap of trouble with their alloy drive shafts , so much so that they quietly put 180 KPH speed limiters on all the cars fitted with alloy driveshafts .
The other two failures were on race cars and both these guys are going to continue to run alloy drive shafts due to the advantages , but they have had three made up and will only run one meeting with one unit before it goes back and is rebalanced and checked , unlimited budget you know , drive shafts are one of the few things you can't **** with , generally if things break you just fix it , not so with a driveshaft failure , first you have to get out of hospital , then you have to find another car and start again !!

A custom driveshaft will be needed to convert to a TH400, and it's a good idea to remain with the steel (for strength) or the CF (for safety). The HP saved by switching to an aluminum driveshaft can be had by turning up the boost by .005psi, or made up for by not eating a large breakfast.

This SC is local, and you can see how an aftermarket driveshaft can be a hairy affair.

http://media.putfile.com/broken-driveshaft

Eric

Kiwi - You are making me nervous. I have heard this before...Who is making the driveshafts for you and why are they failing?.. Were they rated for horsepower you were dishing out? When you mention failure is that out of balance or snapping failure?.. A snapped driveshaft at high rpm's is destruction....no dought... These alluminum driveshafts replacements for the Lexus are rated for an estimated 600hp or more....

Did your alluminum shafts get out of balance often, and were they one piece or two piece shafts?

What's their TQ rating? Off the line TQ twists it right out, as well as wheel hop at high rpms.

Eric

A stock steel driveshaft. Mine wheel hops in the 1st to 2nd gear transition, so I have to baby it between that shift. If it hops violent enough it would twist it up like a pretzel. Titan Motorsports has one in their case that looks like a rung out towel. : ) Usually in the Th400 swap, and 6 speed swaps where there are custom driveshafts needed, a solid steel pipe is welded between the knuckles. It's damn strong. Wheel hop will kill those too, however.

Eric

FYI you dont need custom driveshaft for the TH400. Secondly, I have a 600 hp Cobra and I use aluminum driveshaft. Yes, steel is stronger, stronger also means heavier when comparing steel vs. alumimum.

Given the disadvantages of alloy shafts (cost, lifespan, ease of damage) compared to their benefits (less weight, less power loss) I would think the funds to build one would be better spent on the engine chasing some more horsepower.

For $600.00 you could have 20hp with engine mods against (perhaps) saving a few horses with the an alloy driveshaft.

Ford Australia has had heaps of trouble with their alloy shafts so why go there?