Celica Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Maingear

My 2002 Celica is going to have an engine upgrade. Everyone is spending thousands of dollars to have a 300+HP FWD car (not to mention ricer body kits)!? My goal is to have a V8 engine in the car while keeping a stock-like appearance.

I am in the process of buying a Celica that has been totaled to use as a mock-up. When I get all of the mounts and harnesses right, Ill swap it over as a kit to my daily driver.

I don't think that there is enough room in the engine bay to fulfill the height requirement for a V8. The engine might fit in the back seat area; I want to go with an independent rear. Definitely fit if there is a tranny that sets aft of the output shafts.

The only dimensions that I have available to me are the ones I retrieve off of my LX470. I found the sticky with the deminsions. Very Nice!! I know that there must be shorter intakes and tranny’s and shallower oil pans to choose from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don’t want to go through all of this trouble to settle on a V6.

Being so new to this forum, I am battling a learning curve!

I am still crunching the measurements. There is plenty of room in the rear for all the gear, but it will cut the car's capacity to 2 seats. The 7th generation Celica is very nimble in the turns. If I go with FR all the weight will be up front (good steering wheel traction), but for the 400HP I want, the weight may be better suited over the drive wheels for traction.

Target weight is 2200 Lbs.

My preference is to stay away from large components that are difficult/expensive to acquire.

My current issues are:

RR config - FWD tranny, reliability becomes an issue.

FR config - firewall components requires relocating (booster, cabin heater lines, etc)

Reading between the lines I think we're looking at East West mid engine setup.

Like an MR2.

Could be interesting and major surgery.

My target HP is for natural aspiration. I agree, a I4 or even a V6 (new Lexus 300HP was my first choice) would fit much easer (I have the 2ZZ-GE already). My dream is the 4.7.

My engine bay measurements are too small to allow an induction system on the 1UZ. So it looks like the back seat is getting the boot.

I am going to the salvage yard today to search for a Celica I can cut in half for the mock-up, as well as an engine.

I still have not found a FWD tranny suitable for 600 HP. I want to add turbos at a later date.

I already have an engineering background; a 7th gen Celica, ( realy like this car). I also enjoy a challange.

also the new aft engine bay should allow more elbow room.

Will a MR2 tranny hold up to the HP?

you should go to ls1tech.com and look under the swap or coversion section(can't remember the name) and find this college kid that successfully converted a honda predlude to an ls1 with an independent rwd set-up.

Very nice link! That guy could have gotten away with thinner gauge steel. I will have to do the same mod to the firewall.

BTW: the u-pull-it (salvage yard) turned up nil. But there was an RX-7 and a 240Z to take the rear suspension from.