big brake upgrade

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

minty uk

hi there, im planning a brake upgrade with these ( hope the pics work ) , a bit overkill but im thinking about a supercharger in future.

Very nice, 8 piston monoblock with bolt in bridge.
Are they Brembo's?
What size rotor is that.
Are they a radial mount, or is that an ear poking out the bottom on the other side.
Whats the bolt spacing?
Sorry about the questions.
I like brakes!
You should put a nokia mobile phone next to the bottle, for the internationally accepted gauge.
Cheers

hi there ,yes they are brembo , 8 pots off a merc sl 55 amg ( i think ) , the rotor size is 355mm x 36mm ap racing , rotors were chosen to fit inside my wheels (18" ). the caliper has a bolt on mount with bolt spacing of 110mm,i think this could be removed and the caliper radially mounted . no thoughts on the back yet , one bit at a time .

I hope you don't have too much trouble with the your rims clearing those big calipers of yours. That is the trouble I ran into with my big brake upgrade on the Soarer....A huge dissapointment....Good luck..

hi there , do you mean clearance between the caliper and the back of the wheel spokes , what calipers did you try to use ?

Yes the clearance between the larger caliper and the back of the rim/wheel spokes... I tried the 1993 Supra big brakes (4 piston) and failed, very challenging to make it all fit on my after market rims...

I did not sort it out, but others have... If you want the full story check out the thread "Supra TT Big Brake Uprgrade for SC400". It is in the same section that this thread is in.. It is three pages long but explains my entire brake swap situation.. It may help you understand your swap better and the potential broblems that may happen in a complete brake swap...Good luck..

Short version of concerns - When brake swapping find out if your current rims can clear the new larger calipers when all is mounted and that is without using wheel spacers. That is if you are planning on using your stock rims and tire sizes... Also your upgraded rotors must be a perfect fit on your wheel hubs. If your good in those two areas you should have no problems... However, if you need to use wheel spacers to clear the larger calipers then you may run into problems like I did....

When doing your brake conversion, if you are getting custom hats made up for those rotors ,you maybe able to aleviate some of the wheel clearence problems by altering the offset to move the rotor ring inwards.
As you will be making custom caliper adapters also, this should not be a problem for the altered caliper position.
Moving the caliper inboard slightly may foul on your suspension or chasis though.
Custom brake conversions always involve alot of measuring and setup.
Being a radially mounted caliper your adapter will probably be in a block shape.
Use 6061 0r 7075 heat treated aluminium.
For bolts use 12.9 cap heads.
You will also need custom flexible brake lines, for the street use RTA approved braid.
Possibly you will also need an adjustable brake bias valve such as a wilwood or similiar to fine tune the balance.
For rear calipers you could probably use some Porsche Boxter S or 996 rears those are a monoblock 4 piston type made by brembo also.
But you would need to work out the piston areas for compatability.
Possibly your existing rears may also work ok, but once again you would need to know the piston areas to check.
Also dont forget about your existing master cylinder bore size.
Is it compatible with those fronts?
Cheers
Trev

Attachments

• slavecylinder.jpg
    slavecylinder.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 6
you're insane!
you and i would make friends real quick!:D
nice set of brakes you have there
thanks to you i've got more to distract myself from!
oh man it's gonna be fun when i get to brakes:D

Just curious I did the swap on a Soarer like yours but used Toyota Supra parts. I am just wondering how in the world are you going to mount up those AMG calipers and open end rotors on a Lexus/Toyota/Soarer? Mounting bolt patterns, caliper mounting, etc..are really different on the Mercedes brakes compared to Toyota......I would love to see how you pull this swap off on a 1996 Soarer....Infact, If you pull that swap off you are my hero......

I'm doing a brake upgrade on my car atm also. Bolt spacing and caliper position will be taken care of by the custom caliper adaptor brackets i'll be using. The custom rotor hat will take care of the rotor positioning (you get hats to suit your specific car, and in this case, the soarer can use the same hats as the jza80 supras).

All in all, this conversion is similar to mine in terms of work required, except that i'm using AP racing 4 piston front, and 4 piston rear calipers. Good luck.

Wow, 4 piston rear calipers....Your getting serious, is that really necessary on the rears? Not overkill?.... Post results and pics if you can I would love to see your swap....

Attachments

• Scan0009.jpg
    Scan0009.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
Only thing holding me back atm is the lack of $$$.

The supra is a good car with decent brakes from the factory, but you can never have brakes that are too big. The front pistons on mine are 4x40mm each caliper, and the rears are 4x23mm, a little overkill, but made to match the fronts, so no need to play with brake bias valves. Surprisingly, the calipers are only a fraction the cost of the rotors.

hi there , my conversion has been on hold for several reasons ,

1 i live in an upstairs flat without off street parking and its taken a while to find
a suitable garage to rent.

2 too busy driving the car.

the first problem has now been solved , the second is proving difficult while the weather is good . the work will probably wait until winter