anyone using Autronic

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

The Flea

I'm getting closer to making a decision about an EMS. I've read alot of good things about the Autronic sm2 and was wondering about peoples' experiences with it. I've had a little work with the DTA EMS from the UK.
If you're using Autronic, could you tell me about your set-up, I.E., inputs/outputs, converters, A/F input, and if you're distributorless, wasted-spark, coil on plug... etc.
Also, opinions about the auto-tune feature. Really anything would be helpful even if it's not about the Autronic.
Thanks,
Flea

The Flea,

I'm in the same boat as you I would like to hear what people who actually have Autronic think.

Let's here it gents.

I'm running an Autronic SMC in my skiboat. I chose the SMC over others because Autronic offers a fully sealed, water proof version of the ECU. They recon that you can throw it in a bucket of water while the engine is running and it wont stop!
Also, I was hoping that the fully sequential capabilities would help with power low in the rev range.
I wired it up myself which was pretty straight forward, just a few calls to Ray Hall to check on a few things.
You need to use the crank trigger and one of the cam triggers. I had to grind every 2nd tooth off the crank trigger, but the newer versions from Autronic you don't have to do this.
You also need a reluctor interface to get the Autronic to work with the factory lexus crank and cam triggers.
I used the water temp and air temp sensor supplied with the kit.
I used the factory throttle position sensor
For ignition, I use 2 bosch 008 ignitors, running the factory lexus coils and distributors.
I have 1 spare output

As for tuning, I used a Map which was emailed to me from a guy who tuned a lexus V8 in a car. I have played around with it a bit, and it still really needs to be tuned properly to suit the boat. That said, it runns very well, I just think there is some more power hiding in the tuning! First start from dead cold I have a flat spot for the first 30 seconds, but after that, it starts perfectly all day. I'm sure that problem could be sorted out with a bit of fiddling.
The manual it came with was pretty good for setting it up, however could use more info about actual tuning theory and practice.
The software is a bit 'Russian' to use, but you soon get used to it. Once all the parameter are set (mode flags are a little complicated), the caliberation tables are easy to use.
The Auto tune runction does not work on engines fitted to boats.

I wish the Autronic had built in wide bane o2 function.
Other than that,
I'd give it 8 out of 10. All it needs is Wide band o2, better software and a bit more about tuning in the instruction manual.

the new autronic will be out in 4 or so months ive heard

my old boss is goin to get one for testing and try it

i am goin to help him with it

so we can find any probs if any and get back to autronic if needed

dont know if u can wait that long

Jim,

You may have just found a new customer. I'm around 6 months away from Autronic so I will watch with interset.

ok cool

autronic wants to iron out the bugs before they start selling to public

but the new autronic will be able to have multiple teeth on dizzy sensors and be able to understand different dizzy signals too

and hopefully be able to use many ignitors

the only prob with ecus being compatible with many diff engines u sometimes tend to get more interference sometimes

but it should be a good thing when its done

it has alot of extras compared to smc

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on the 1UZ the current Autronic can do 4 ignitor outputs? That seems fine to me.

Does need an external wideband interface though.

So is it more common on this application to keep the distributors in lieu of coil-on-plug (like the 4.3) or some wasted spark DFU set-up?

What is needed in between the coil and Autronic ignition outputs--some sort of ignitor?
Thanks

Most people (well, there still aren't many) are keeping the distributors. They should be fine until you go north of 500hp. A pair of Bosch ignitors would do the trick nicely.

I plan on doing this first, then when I know that all works, make a multispark CDI. Probably quite custom for the application - 4 outputs off the Autronic, thinking it is running waste spark, but a little extra thinking afterwards with the outputs of the cam sensors to decide which cylinder to send the spark to. Or I might get lazy and just run waste spark 4 channel. Coils are relatively expensive, and it is easy to make a CDI that will run 2 plugs simultaneuosly, just as easy as 1.

I am an electronic engineer though, so the only real point of going CDI for me is to have a little extra fun with it. Beyond that, not much need.

Rod,

Who knows? I would think past 500 you'd be running up around the 20psi mark, and that's where most people with the distributor based 2JZGE->T are finding high rpm miss. So my guess is that's about the time you want to run more than 2 ignitors.

cdi is uaually better because u get better spark when it needs it most

at hi boost say over 20 or 25 psi the spark can get blown out due to hi pressures in the chamber

a cdi keeps this spark strong

i have seen a jacobs 3000 cdi produce a 2 inch spark super thick like u can weld with it hehe

i have also heard the autronic cdi has 2 settings

and if u get zapped by a spark on the stronger settin you wil definately feel it

but most normal cdis are good for street applications

its only on drag cars whrere u have 30 to 40 psi where u might need a very hi output and duration

The Flea said:
Thanks everyone for the help.
Flea
www.sporttiauto.com is installing right now Autronic SM2 into my LS400 -91.
icon11.gif

A good friend of mine runs Autronic on his VW Corrado,it's the fastest and quickest and fastest naturally aspirated FWD VW,and the first/only 10-second naturally aspirated FWD VW. His site is http://www.race101.com has no tech info but email him for Autronic info. He has done Toyota applications before (Supra twin turbo) and is quite a good tuner and installer.