Another update on rdms TT sc400..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

chrisman

hi guys,, ive been real busy lately,, but i decided to get oinline today and catch up with a bunch of stuff ive been putting off..
well,, rdms car is up and running after the rebuild.. we did use the forged pistons.. we redid the spare engine he had around my shop.. everything went fairly well/easy.. he did have a major car wreck during the whole process while driving his daily car on the way home from my shop one day,, so it did delay him a bit..
everything seems to be fine,, the car is running well.. ive been keeping him from getting on it.. ive left one of the turbos wastegate open--but i know he can still get a few pounds of boost from the other turbo--:shrug: ..
there were a few changes i made.. we did end up using a couple of different turbos.. they are from early supras.. the ct26s.. these are upgraded also.. so i did need to make new exhaust downpipes and flanges.. but they are very similar to the mr2 turbos we had on before so i only had to make the first foot or so of the down pipes.. these are not split housing,,so they will spool a little slower..but they have much larger compressors,, so the air going thru the motor will be cooler and we can get alot more volume from them..
how is the car performing? well we havnt really had a chance to find out yet.. i have had a problem with the extra injector controller we had previously purchased.. one of the two "drivers" for the injectors stoped working.. i may have mistakingly shorted it out and ruined a transistor--ive ordered a new one, but it wont get here till monday..
while im waiting on that,, i may have an oppertunity to test the extra injector controller my buddy has been developing.. i will try and do that this weekend if i can,, and il tell you guys how that went..
i do now have access to a local dyno--so it should be easier/quicker to get some numbers for you guys.. but now that we droped the compression,, and with the help of the forged pistons, i dont feel so worried about turning up the boost.. i am hoping for some descent numbers and will be boosting upto 15-18 psi. for the street..
it may be a wwek or so,, as long as nothing breaks.. by the way,, i was able to take his old engine apart,, and it wasnt as bad as i i thought.. he did melt the ring land of 1 piston down to the ring, but beleive it or not, the ring was still intact--but ive seen much worse damge on other turbo motors.. that motor will now be redone for the corrolla.. that will also be getting a new intake im developing specificly for the app.. anyway,, i better get back to work..

Chris is finally back to Lextreme.com. Nice work buddy and love to see some more updates. I am currently running 12.75 psi and plan to turn it up to 18 or so. I am happy to see those forged pistons are being used. Those are great pistons and Bob will love it. Keep us updated with everything or anything...

Hey Chris,is this the car?

wMTExMjYyMDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

If the pic doesn't load up,direct link is http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTExMjYyMDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

yes,, thats a pic of the engine when the motor was first installed- a few weeks ago.. you can see that i had to cut the original downpipes..you will also notice that the turbos "look" different from one another.. one is a turbonetics supra replacement that bob had from a previous car,, and the other is from a car that i had gifted to a friend.. they have the larger compressor housings.. one is ball bearing,, and one isnt.. they should be fine until bob can get himself another turbonetics turbo--so he ends up with 2 similar turbos..

i still havnt gotton the transistors ive been waiting on.. its kinda goofy--a city as big as chicago, and i have a hard time finding a few 3 dollar transistors..:wtf: ..i did order them--and they should be here any day..and this past weekend i was not able to test my buddys extra inj controller-- i was painting a friends car..
oh well,, hurry up and wait..

Hey Chris,

I was wondering how is your return oil lines setup. Since this car has rear sump, not much room for oil return in the front of the motor. Where do u connect the oil return lines?

david,, on the sc400 there is room on the side of the steel part of the sump/pan..i have one return on each side.. i think i have a pic--il look for it and try and post..

ryan, i will look at the pm right now..

i found a pic.. this is only one side,, but the other is very similar.. the steel part of the sump comes of relatively easily-EXCEPT- for the glue/sealer toyota uses.. that stuff is incredible.. you will probably bend the pan getting it off, but clean and straighten it before reinstall and you should be ok..

chrisman said:
david,, on the sc400 there is room on the side of the steel part of the sump/pan..i have one return on each side.. i think i have a pic--il look for it and try and post..

ryan, i will look at the pm right now..
Hey Chris, can you get in touch with me again? It appears that we may have a lost package. I really do need that tracking number...Nothing delivered yet. Remember, I am moving in 4 days...

Thanks,

Ryan

hi ryan,, i doubt that anything got lost..good luck on the move,
i know moving can be stress-full.. its alot of work..
anyway, back to rdms car.. i sill have not gotton those 3 dollar transistors--but i know bobs car is getting around fine on a "low boost" about 3-4 psi.. i still yell at him a little.. there is now no provision for any extra gas--until the extra injector controller is working again..so i know/think he is getting a tad lean.. but the car is getting around fine.. and it has gotten very cold around here lately,and we even got some light snow, but it is being driven every day..
its kinda sad sorta--one of the few TT v8 toyota cars around, and its being used as daily transportation..:sorry: ..oh well..
one last thing,, lately i have been working with a local shop.. and ive have also noticed "renewed" interest in a "turbo KIT" for the sc 400.. i am contemplating getting it done-finally- and offering it.. i would need to convince the shop, especially because there is not a "large" market for it.. but the guys at the shop are TOYOTA guys,, so they may not need to much convincing..i could use the help in getting it done in "kit "form....
if anything develops-- you guys would be the first to know..

chrisman said:
i found a pic.. this is only one side,, but the other is very similar.. the steel part of the sump comes of relatively easily-EXCEPT- for the glue/sealer toyota uses.. that stuff is incredible.. you will probably bend the pan getting it off, but clean and straighten it before reinstall and you should be ok..
Are you using regular rubber hose for the oil return line? I've used it before to save $$; however, it only lasted for an average of 3 months. So I think it'll be better to use the stainless braided line. At http://store.summitracing.com, they have several economical choices with stainless braided lines. They're pretty good for the money.

Hey Chris, good idea on the kit. Perhaps you can make a few dollars for all of your pioneering on the SCTT project...

Moving is stressful...

Still no package, tracking number would be most helpful...

Ryan

hey guys,it may be a little off topic--but heres a pics of the intake im doing for the v8--its a one off-going on the corrolla.---check out the throttle body--think it will flow enough air for 1000+ hp?

:approve: Chris, that is beautiful work...1,000 HP. Do you plan to change any of the other internals besides the pistons?

BTW, thanks for the tracking number :veryhappy

Ryan

s'more news--i FINALLY got those 3 dollar transistors..:veryhappy it took a couple of weeks and about 6 visits to the same lame store, BUT,, they came in about an hour before closing for the holiday..

i did install them,, and they seem to be working..:veryhappy :veryhappy ..so,, unless something comes up,, i will be working on the car over this long weekend..
i will say this,,i put the extra injector controller back in,and the car feels awesome.. and its still very early in getting everything working together..so i am very pleased..
so,, keep an eye on the thread for more info..figuring out how much boost we will run and getting the air fuel right should not take more than a day or two..and as soon as i feel its ready,, its dyno time..

by the way,, i want to wish everyone a "Happy Thanksgiving"..eat, rest, and stay safe..

hi guys,, we were able to get to the dyno on sat,, for results go down to the race-dyno section on this forum.. by the way,, the car did pretty good..

hi again guys,, i have some more/current news on the car.. for those guys who havnt seen yet,, on sat we dynoed the car and it did 510 rwhp and 490lbs torque at 17-18 psi.. well,, tonight we had achance to get the car tested using rdms d-pic--its like a g-tech except made by autometer..anyway,, long story short,, we did manage a few runs--remember this was on the street,street tires- and were able to get a 12.8 at 124.9 mph..as a matter of fact,, all of the runs were over 124 mph.. as for the et,, we were not leaving hard/underboost..
so where does this leave us-- i dont know,, i am pretty sure we can get a few more mph,, but,,. we were hitting the rev limiter in 3rd because we were keeping the overdrive off.. i am pretty sure having the overdrive on would burn up some clutches quickly, so we will need to decide how to proceede for more mph--if we can leave the overdrive on.. anyway,, i am pretty sure we will make an effort to get to the track on new years day--if its open again.. in any case,, the car is running great,, and seems to be handling the power well..

Nice... What is the oil weight you guys are using. I just changed from 10/40 to 5/30 and the car ran alot better and had a huge burn out.......