Another Power Steering Pumb Prob

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Kezza

Hey guys... Yeah another faulty pump on our much loved 1uzfe...

I got this uzz30 matter of weeks ago. 8 year service history came with it... was well surprized how nothing had been done the pump yet. 190k on clock.

Because of this i've been watching it very very carefully... 2 mornings ago i started it cold and a bearing like noise is coming from it. It still works ok although afew small Vibrations comes through the wheel...

Would i be correct in thinking that with this bearing going it will be putting extra pressure on my seals.... I do car audio for a living so i really want to keep my 14Volts, with this alternator. :)

What do you guys think is the best way of going??

2nd hand Pump? (Maybe to get this problem again...)
Seals/Bearing from my Toyota Hookup and do it myself? (virgin with P/Steering)
Buy some gym weights to harden my arms up 2 go without s/pump?
Handle the noise because it wont make the pump leak..?

Thank you very much for any reply.

Kezza.

Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Thanks for the reply m8.

Is this noise the common problem with these.. ? In other words, is the the start of the 'leaking problem'? No one from what i have read has said anything about noise when the pump leaks.... ??

Edit* Will reving my car up hurt the pump more!? (Clutch in pump?)

you may have another problem, i replaced my power steering pump with a new one, and guess what, the same noise. Look into checking the solenoid on your steering rack.

WDoherty said:
you may have another problem, i replaced my power steering pump with a new one, and guess what, the same noise. Look into checking the solenoid on your steering rack.

Thank you for the post.... You've put a great little spin on my problem!!

Secondly, you should stop driving the car immediately....... Otherwise u will ruin the alternator..... Rebuilding is a great idea.... and should be done..... its pretty cheap.. i think its about $40-50 for the kit....

so i like i said in a pm response to you mine also slightly wines most of the time. Today was different, it was warm today (texas) and there was no whine at all and the car seemed faster from less drain on the pump. I also know it gets worse when it gets cold outside, so my problem is intermintent. When i first installed the new pump i bleed and bleed the fluid, but there is a slight wet spot on the right hand side steering boot, so i wonder if air can get in there. Since this is coorelated with outside temp, maybe the solenoid intermintently works also, no clue. So since my pump was totally silence today, i guess the pump is still okay and not ruined by whatever problem i have, i hope to replace the rack this summer. Its a big job and i'm in my college town so i really can't work on it here. let me know how yours goes

Cheers for the replys guys.

I've gone and ordered the only Toyota OEM Seal kit in Kiwi Land for $75 bucks... $30 for bearing which doesnt really worry me.

I'll be doing it today at work so i'll let you know...

Mine sounds like what your getting WDoherty. Bad when cold. And sometimes silence. Im still going ahead with the seal/bearing kit because shes done 190k and no record of been done b4 since 84k on clock... I hope this sorts my problem!!

Have you done your seals WDoherty? Did ya shaft looked damaged?

no i just replaced mine with a new pump, i don't remember exatcly right now, but i think my the 1st pump was replaced in the 60-80k range, then i replaced it with another new one i think in the high 90k range and now the car has 104k miles.

I have re sealed the pump and away i go again. Bleeding took longer than any car i have done before. Wasnt working till i thrashed it up the road... And i was reving the engine at stand still too. Maybe got to do with heat...?

I dont really recommend the light hearted to do this job. It is quite straight forward for someone who has a pump open before though.

My pump had one seal down inside so lucky i recon'd the whole lot as i only had a noise to start with. No problems with scatched shaft.

Thanks for all the help guys. It's nice to get info about the 1uzfe rather than just power steering pumps in general....

Hey Guys, looks like i have to bring my post backup...

I was doing a couple of dough's yesturday with my silly A02 and it has created this noise again.

It is the same problem as a few months ago... Makes me think i may not of done something wrong but 2 months just seems wrong.

What do you guys recon? I need to act quick as i got the only seal kit in NZ last time so i could be looking at some wait time.

(Where is a good priced seal kit in Aussie that may sent it over to me?)

I have ordered another seal kit @ toyota's NZ cost price.

I'm going to redo the p/s seals as its only pocket money.

If this problem happens again a few months down the line i will be then start work on the steering rack. I need this sorted while i only got 205's on the front.

Will me flushing my pump before i try the new seal kit help or will it maybe open up a leak??

Where does it normaly leak from guys?