adjustable cam gears for the 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Neil,

Was the inlet system standard i.e. no BFI or CAI?

How do you feel this would go with FI?

Seems to make good power beyond 10,000 but I wouldn't want to sit next to my gearbox or clutch at those revs!

Well, computer modeling is fun but until you actually try any of the variables it is hard to know what you will get. Peter Scott of Planet Soarer "uzz32pete" used this modeling as the reason for doing his exhaust regrinds... the model suggested 40hp and Pete is seeing only 4-5rwkW.
http://planetsoarer.com/camshafts/camshaft1.html

I have to say that the 1998-2000 vvti 1UZFE is using nearly the same cam timing as earlier engines it just rotates the intake to achieve different dynamics at variable engine conditions. That plus better intake and exhaust manifolding and half a point more compression is responsible for about 65hp (235hp vs. 300hp) and 65tq with a much wider torque curve.

This engine should respond well to well made exhaust manifolds and careful head work. Add to that better pistons with higher compression, more valve duration and stand alone tuning... there is definitely more... much more power left in this engine naturally aspirated.

I used to do this trick with my Lancia; advance the intake, and retard the exhaust, made for a much better power curve, higher revs.

I do know that RMM has gotten some good power from playing around with the cam actuators on these engines, was planning on trying some things myself, but haven't had the time to play around lately.

Correction: It was retarded two teeth(13 degrees), on the intake, and retarded one tooth(6.5 degrees) on the exhaust.

Another question; how many teeth on the cam gears?

Most of the block familie's can. All the VZ's can share, all the MZ's can.

Call a dealer and check the parts numbers...

When I was messing with cams in my 4 banger (soon to be replaced with a 1UZ ;-) I found I got a much better power curve with a narrower angle between the intake and exhaust lobes. It would be interesting to see what you end up with advancing the intake cam (1 tooth would be 7.5 cam degrees, isn;t that 15 degrees at the crank?) but then slip the gear to the exhaust cam a tooth to retard it. (How many teeth are on the sissor gears?)Running advance on the intake cam should help low rpm torque, while retarding the exhaust cam will keep it flowing at high revs. Opening the exhaust too soon results in a very loud exhaust while in reality it is venting out cylinder pressure that could be pushing the piston down.

Just thinking out loud

Gary M.