Adaptor plate - W series to auto bellhousing

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hrforever

Thought I'd share my home handyman talents to create an adaptor plate given the lack of any professional CAD drawings available. Searching this and other forums has provided some, but not all information necessary for a plate to be home made.

Firstly, I started with both bell housings and worked out the location of both gearboxes input shafts.View attachment 8448 View attachment 8449

Secondly, with bolt holes drilled, cut out MDF.View attachment 8450

Thirdly, trial mount to gearbox then bellhousing, then join all to motor.View attachment 8451 View attachment 8452

This template shows me what has to be done and the trial mounting shows I've got it basically right. The 12mm aluminium plate will be milled to properly locate the auto bell housing and my measurements will be more accurate than my templates +/-1mm variance.

Question. Is it this easy or have I missed something critical.

Cheers

1mm is way to much variance when it comes to the trans input shaft lining with the pilot spigot in the crank..... at the very most .15mm to .20mm is max that you could be out and not run into problems..... If you are out more then that, you'll tear up the pilot and trans input shaft bearings pretty quick.

Don't worry. I know how critical getting it right is. This MDF sample was a rough, just to see what's involved before attacking a piece of plate with the correct measurements.

A question on another component is the throw out fork and bearing. I know there is the Howe Throw out bearing but I already have a fork, mounting ball and bearing to suit. The issue however is just their mounting inside the auto bellhousing.

I plan to include a mounting point on the adaptor plate in its original location. I would expect this installation has been done already and was wondering if anyone assist with info or pictures.

Cheers

I was just commenting on you spec of 1mm variance and it being to great for concentricity of the engine and trans....

As for the release assembly, doing what you are wanting to do is feasable exactly how you are wanting to do it. You will just have to make some form of mount for the slave cylinder.... One thing to think about though before cutting stuff and or trying to make a mount for the slave cylinder is what is this setup going into and are you going to have clearance for exhaust piping on that side with a fork arm sticking out and slave mounted in the area.....

For anyone that's interested, here's the final product. Started with 12mm aluminium, machined down to 9mm to create a 3mm locating rim for the auto bellhousing. Input shaft center +/- 0.20mm accurate. Throw out fork mount added later but may use the Howe unit if Aus exchange rate improves.
View attachment 8540

Nice....

Aluminum, It looks like steel...... Is there some form of coating on the face? The other thing is what grade Aluminum did you use? My reason for asking is depending on grade I'd be kinda worried about strength and flexability... I orginally did mine out of 347 stainless but trashed if due to worring that there would be to much flex in it. I though about stainless but the cost of 2024 and 7075 where to much to offset the the small weight differance....

Just out of curiousity, how much in AUS dollors does the Howe unit cost for you to buy over there?

The photo is deceptive. I think the colour is from a reflection, but yes it is aluminium, 6061 grade. A 300x300mm piece cost a whole $24. I don't believe flex will be a problem.

As for the Howe throw out bearing, here I've been quoted $595 and $650 from two suppliers. Importing from US appears the way to go but our currency has lost a heap of ground to the US dollar in the last week or so. Anyway, a decision on what to use will be determined on a trail fit of the motor and trans in the coming months to see if a slave cylinder will fit with an exhaust.

Ide have to say that adaptor looks great, but why did you go though all the trouble of makeing one when there are adpators on the market already.

also 600 for the Howe is insane. would help you at all of one of us ordered one , then shipped it out to you?

Jake, When an adaptor can costs anywhere between $350 and $700, yes quoted prices, then a piece of aluminium and a brother-in-law with a milling machine and engineering interest is a preferred option. Also, being able to say it was made with my, and his, own hands gives great bragging rights at the pub.

As for the Howe unit, once I test fit, I'll decide what to do. I already have the standard parts but space may be the concern. May call for assistance if your still offering in a month or two.

Cheers

I just checked it, and if you wanted I could get and ship you an Howe bearing unit for right around 265 to 275 AUD shipped to you. Probably be even cheaper if you get somone in California to do it cause shipping for CA to AUS will probably be cheaper the for FL to AUS.

CJSUPRA90, thanks for doing that. As with all projects you save money in one area and lose in another. If I'd bought one a month ago from the US, the Aus and US dollar were almost the same, so this recent widening exchange rate gap is not doing me any favours.

For now, I'll keep your suggestion in mind until the test fit.

Cheers

Thats where NZ is great. Bellhousings are cheap and easy to get. I have few jobs coming up and ordered two more motors and three bellhousings and two more flywheels/clutches yesterday. I generally have a bellhousing and clutch in stock. I used to keep a hydralic release bearing in stock as well. Adaptor plates are great when using internal release bearings as they look very neat and tidy. Very nice machining. Cheers

you guys do realise that the jeeps with an ax5 trans is a toyota w series and they came with hyd throwout bearing, just unbolt and swap the bearing retainer for the jeep one and the hyd bearing bolts on, jump on a jeep forum an someone might post one to you for not much

Hi-lex, have done some internet research and found the input shaft on the Jeeps is 25mm in diameter and it appears the hydraulic throwout bearing suits this size (or so it suggests). The Supra requires a bearing to fit a 35mm diameter shaft such as the Howe 82870. Also the Jeep units appear to be troublesome for leaks and so aftermarket units are recommended.

Do you have experience with these units, and if so what have you found?

The 25mm is referring to the shaft spline diameter, not the tube on the bearing retainer.... I dont know forsure, but I think the Jeep ones in question have a 35mm tube also.... I have heard of problems with them too. My neighor keeps going through them for starters and he knows several jeep oners that go through them like crazy. Next time the trans is out, he is going to look into trying to use the Howe unit or something alike.

I have one to go on a hilux trans with a comodore v6, the jeep 4cl also shares the same bell pattern as the gm v6, freaky huh, apparently these cyl dont like mud, should be ok on a street car, only seems to be a prob with the US jeepers, maybe they just push harder, I am not using this swap at the mo so wont know how it goes, have a hyd throwout but still need to track down the bearing support

Hi-Lex, followed your suggestion and went in search of the Jeep unit. Of the two local wreckers/parts suppliers I contacted their price made the Howe unit look competitive. Reliability of the unit was also bought into question but whether this was on or off road use couldn't be verified.

If you can source one for $80, let me know.

Attachments

• hilux one day crown soarer 009.jpg
    hilux one day crown soarer 009.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 16
  • hilux one day crown soarer 023.jpg
    hilux one day crown soarer 023.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8
  • hilux one day crown soarer 024.jpg
    hilux one day crown soarer 024.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 11