'98 GS400 $19k ? Good or bad

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jaja

Hi newbie here....

I am looking to purchase a '98 GS400 with about 73k miles for $19k.... with the new one out and all, I'm not sure that this is a good price or not. Looking at the prices around here (SoCal) I think its a fair price. I took a look at the car, and it is in great shape - almost too good to be true. The owner was a nice guy too. It has the factory 17" rims, and alot of other options. Main usage is going to be the wife's grocery shopper and my soon to be born son's pediatrician express.

I am also looking at a '99 BMW 540i/6 Speed. I know they are totally different cars, but I am still lost as to which route I should go. I hope someone can shed some advice.

Jaja

jaja,

Welcome to the forum. 98 GS400 for 19k is the going price. At 73k, the car should be good for the next 400k. Never buy a used German car especially for that price. Lots of problems with BMW after few year of usage.

For long run i would go for the GS400.

I hear that the BMWs have a lot of problems too.... but not to say that they are better - it IS a BMW right? And according to their forums, the problems are not THAT bad.

But what I thought was really fair was that the BMW forums acknowledge that Lexus has fewer problems, and I should go with the Lexus if a worry free car is what I want. But they note that if an emotional driving experience is what I am after, then the 540i/6 is what I am looking for.

I test drove the GS400.... nice, lots of power. I used to drive a modded Z32 300ZX with intake, exhaust, EVC, ROM tuning with prob 350-375 horses, but I thought the GS400 was quicker than that. NA power. For sure.

I guess the biggest decision I will have to make is simply either to go with a manual or automatic. I know the E-Shift is nice and all - but nothing beats a clutch.

I am problably going to buy by Tues - I hope I can put up picks to say that I am now a part of this community.

Question:
1. When is Lexus' planned maintenance for large items? ex Timing belts, water pumps, torque converter, etc? The guy said that he had is $1,400 60k service done. What does that include - so I can get a feel for what is coming. And also what do major maintenance such as the ones I pointed out run (inc labor in SoCal?)

2. Also by reading the other threads, this seems to be more of Soarer/SC forum - what are the major GS forums?

J

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0789.JPG