8 Throttle Body Induction

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Quadcob

Recently I went to New Zealand for a holiday and to get some parts to setup my motor with the 8 throttle body induction system using the 4AGE throttle bodies. Tony Miller from 1UZ Quad Cam in Auckland, who who sells this setup and has written about this system on this forum, took me for a ride in his 8 throttle body induction equiped 1UZ powered RX7 convertible. The performance from this vehicle was stunning. The flexibility of this vehicle was very noticeable. This vehicle could be driven so easily at 50kph in 5th gear and when given full throttle you were pushed back in the seat with responsive acceleration. I have driven my sons twin turbo Supra and XR8 5.4ltr falcon and without doubt this car would blow them away with no effort. Other than the quad throttle body set up and the Link ECU this motor is stock standard down the standard exhaust manifolds.

The other noticeable feature is the sound this car makes. The induction noise coupled with exhaust note is something you don't hear from many cars.
The link below is a 19 second video showing the throttles working and that very cool note of the engine.

www.lextreme.com/video/1uzferev.avi

Warren

Warren, sounds great.... a little biased though.... I for one definately can't see how an n/a 1uz (even with 8 tb) would blow away a twin turbo supra (unless it was an earlier mk3 model with the 1g motor).... or there could be something wrong with your son's car, hehe....

seriously though, sure, we all love our xuz engines, but being realistic, it seems improbable that an n/a 1uz will pull away from the 2jz....

but then that's just my opinion.

Hehehe, maybe being in a 2500-2800 lb RX7 has something to do with it. They don't call them rotary rockets for nothing.

My '97 hardtop Supra is one of the lighter ones around, and it still weighs 3420 lbs (from a certified weigh scale). Most Supra's are real porkers at 3500+ lbs.
John

if it's a convertible, it would be an s4 or s5, as they're the only ones that came that way.... in which case, aren't much lighter than a mk4...

s4-s5 are pretty heavy between 1300-1400kg.. dont know how much lighter/heavier a drop top version is though.....
my mk4 weighs 1480kg with sound system..... weight difference isn't large enough to justify the claim.... especially when you consider it's a comparison between an n/a and a turbo engine...

hp for hp, in the same car, a turbo version will always have better driveability than an n/a car... i don't know how to explain it though.... just ask anyone who's owned and driven both....

boosted 200hp will be quicker than n/a 200hp.... dunno why....

R-Jay, with those weight figures, you obviously have a JDM Supra <drool>. The only way our 1625kg USDM MKIV's can get below 1500 is by taking most of the interior out and putting CF seats in.

Oddly enough, the RX7's in the US must be lighter than the JDM models. We haven't seen any of them go over 3000 lbs (~1360kg), and FI'd RX7's usually compete well against mildly modified MKIV's, especially on the twisties. Now when we crank the boost up above 1.5 barg on a single turbo MKIV, it's a different story.....

It would be interesting to take a torque/HP graph for a stock or even mildly modded MKIV and overlay it with that 1UZ powered RX7.

John

Attachments

• origional output shaft.jpg
    origional output shaft.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 34
yes i do own a JDM mk4 (being in Australia makes it obvious)... funny how much extra weight you guys have there...

FC rx7's (which is what i think tony miller has) weigh between 1300-1400kg which isn't light weight... FD's on the other hand are light weight heroes being only around the 1280ish kg mark... also, these have awesome factory suspension setups, which should leave the supra in the dust around the twisties.

Now John, being a mk4 owner, you should be well aware that there is no such thing as a stock supra.... heck, anyone who owns one would at least be running boost... and if they say they aren't, they're lying... hehe.....

if we were to compare the graph for a boosted supra versus a n/a 1uz with itb and extractors, it wouldnt be hard to see which one would come out on top....

i'm trying hard not to make this look like a "this engine is better than that engine argument" but facts are facts.... can't really be argued....

that said.... my mk4 will hopefully be on it's way to having 1uz goodness soon....

I was trying to emphasize the flexability of the engine not start a discussion on power to weight.

R-Jay
The Supra is a MkIV 2JZ and there has been no boost mods and even runs standard exhaust(at this stage).
Next time you are driving your Supra, do 50kph in 6th gear on a flat section of road and give it full accelaration. This is where the flexibility of the Rx7 shows.
I don't think I am biased, but I am fitting a motor with the 8 throttle bodies into my car.
Warren

Warren, ok i wasn't attacking you or anything, i just thought your wording was a little inaccurate...

that said, i can no longer drive the TT supra as it is written off and is being used for parts (gearbox, tailshaft, diff, drive shafts)... my n/a mk4 will be the one going under the knife to have the 1uz transplant....

OK, that cleared up...... i guess you have a point there.... the 1uz will pull harder from 50km in 5th than a 2jz at the same speed in 6th.... only because of lack of boost though, hehe...

I think that setup would still sound great in a 6000 pound buick. horrible power to weight ratio though. probably would even pull.. nice Warren, NICE!!!-Chris

Attachments

• Resize of 100_0960.JPG
    Resize of 100_0960.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Resize of 100_0961.JPG
    Resize of 100_0961.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 55
Guys,
I am just curious.
This set up using the 8 throttle bodies ( 2 sets off of a 4ag-ze engine ), do they bolt straight on to the standard runners or are they modified to fit ?

Regards

Stephen

they are off the 4age 20 valve engine, not the 4agze supercharged...

and to answer your question, no they do not bolt straight up... you will need to have a custom manifold made up to mount the quad throttles on each bank....

or you could buy a pair of manifolds from tony miller for a grand nzd if i can remember correctly... you will then also need the ram tubes/custom plenum plus the throttle linkage setup.... PLUS don't forget, you'll need 2 sets of 4age 20v quad throttle setups...

i've seen places sell the quad throttle's with the 4age injectors and fuel rail for $350 each.

all up, this is a pretty expensive mod....

You need to purchase the manifolds and linkage setup from Tony Miller. The throttle bodies I bought were from a *** import company in Brisbane and they cost me $200 for 2 complete sets(8 throttle bodies mounted to 2 manifolds). If you are prepared to look around you can always find parts for the right price.

What's the bore on those throttle bodies you just found?
I'm curious since I've been looking at some motorcycle parts that would work nice, but have not decided on sizing.

AFAIK the Tony Miller RX7 is a Series 1 or 2, with a convertible mod (I have it at home, not here).
Its a got a full body kit to look like a Porshce 944 (924?) too.
So I wouldn't be surprised if it would weigh around the 1000kg mark, hence its performance with a 1uz is somewhat unbeleivable.

The car is based on Series one RX7 with series 4 indepent rear fitted etc.
So take one S1 RX7
Add 100kg extra for a 1UZ, 50kg extra for the IRS, and you are still probably under 1000kg.

1000kg, 400Nm, and 200kW make for a VERY fun, and very quick machine.

*drools

The sound out of that engine is unreal. I wonder how how the air flow rate of 1 bank of the V8 at redline compares to the 4AGE at redline. Regardless, the sound and visual of 8 individual throttle bodies is quite exotic.

ahhh... series 1... i understand now... very good power:weight.....

granted, the 8 TB sounds awesome.... but damn it sure is pricey....

Attachments

• evo8a.gif
    evo8a.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 89
About 2k AUD

nice investment if you plan NA.

I'm sure I'll be ordering one come late next year.

But for the moment, twin TB's are responsive enough for me.
Take the air filters off and it sounds awesome too, haha.