$20 000 1uz???

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

1UZ-HZ

I had a funny experience the other day, a self confessed V8 'expert' told me I'm 'dreaming' if I can get over 400+hp out of a standard motor. He said something like this:
"You know you will probably have to spend at least $20 000 just on the motor to get around 500hp even if you turbo or supercharge, and 'good luck' doing it with a piece of crap Toyota"
Before he dribbled on he had no idea that Toyota made a V8(how suprising?), he wouldnt even belive me about the ultra tough internals. It made me pretty angry to say the least, how about you guys?

When you say "Self confessed V8 Expert" where does his expertise lie. I bet that he thinks that the Holden 308 Tractor motor is a damn fine peice of engineering

Last edited by a moderator:
1UZ-HZ said:
I had a funny experience the other day, a self confessed V8 'expert' told me I'm 'dreaming' if I can get over 400+hp out of a standard motor. He said something like this:
"You know you will probably have to spend at least $20 000 just on the motor to get around 500hp even if you turbo or supercharge, and 'good luck' doing it with a piece of crap Toyota"
Before he dribbled on he had no idea that Toyota made a V8(how suprising?), he wouldnt even belive me about the ultra tough internals. It made me pretty angry to say the least, how about you guys?

I wouldn't worry too much...I had a bit of a "conversation" with some idiot on the LS1 forums, because he reckons that the 1UZs get rattly "like a new GEN3". These morons haven't a clue about the 1UZ (a fact I was at pains to point out to this bloke), and they will always think their Holden/Ford engine is so much better... :lol

Most V8's, probably 99% of those built, to date are old pushrod iron American engines. I can decide which is worse their beer or their engines!

I can understand these Neanderthals not knowing how good our engine is.

I was in a Ford Lightning Site the other day and I found the bore and stroke figures of the 5.4 Ford. They have 3.55" x 4.16" (sorry it has to be in "American" as they do not understand mm) which is pretty unimpressive for a modern engine. We all laugh at old "oversquare" English engines but this is a joke. Of coarse it has to make do with 2 valves per cylinder and one cam per bank.

For comparrison the 1 UZ has a bore and stroke of 3.44" X 3.25". That is 0.91" less stroke or 22% less stroke. no wonder our engines rev and theirs plod along to 5,000 redlines.

Has anyone on this Site seen (in the flesh), or own, an engine that has produced 500hp on a stock bottom end? Whilst we all know it can be done I don't recall seeing any dyno slips.

Don't even discuss the 6 bolt mains. They would not know where 6 bolts could go.

Guys with american motors are just funny to talk to. First they are wowed at the fact that toyota makes a V8, then they try and make you feel bad because your lexus is just another toyota but of course you know better. After that you explain that its a DOHC motor with 4, count em, 4 cams. At this point your already loosing them but you keep going. you tell them it has a 6 bolt main and yes, they cant even see where 6 bolts would go. Then, you dont bother telling them about the webbed block, 4 valves per, all aluminum design because you know there just not going to get it. Oh ya, dont waste your time telling them your 90 LS has a V8 and is RWD and has dual exhaust. In the end, ITS ALL DAVID'S FAULT!!!!!!!!! If it werent for him and all his work with this site, pulling the 1UZ apart and sharing all his info for no profit, i for one would still be blind to how awsome this motor is, and dont no one worry, david will get into the 500 HP range, no dought about that. :)

guys, dont forget about the great weight savings.
i am expecting a 100kg + saving in my inboard boat engine convertion.
remember that the most important fiqure is how many kg to kw ratio.

minus that weight in a car makes for much better handling.

Sniper,

I have to be honest and I have taken a while to admit it.

It's all David's fault.

Damn him. I think Toyota/Lexus are paying him!

Glad if they are, because he has created a monster who cannot be put back in it's cage.

I'm actually a little different, in that I was reading motoring mags as a kid (back in the early-mid 80's), and remember an article talking about Toyota's "prototype" V8 engine which would power their (as yet un-named) luxury car (which became the LS400); I was completely fascinated! (That, from a complete Holden fan at the time).

I couldn't wait to see one of these in the flesh, even though I knew I'd never afford one (a fact borne out by the initial cost of the LS400 when it came out).

I've been lucky enough to own 3 1UZ-powered vehicles. They are just the duck's guts IMHO. Certainly, I wish Toyota had producued 1UZ-GE, !UZ-GZE and 1UZ-GTE variants...but at least I know that the inherent strengths to "modify" the engine are there; more than can be said about your standard GM/Ford engine. (Or, at least, without major "pre-mod" mods!)

Disclaimer: I love the 1uzfe... but

You guys are going in the same direction of mis-information and techno-snobbery...

the facts...

LS1 - weighs 10kgs lighter than the 1uzfe
LS1 - has 6 bolt mains
LS1 - known to have 230rwkW with a stock engine with exhaust and tune....

DO NOT underestimate the good old american muscle...

Drizt said:
Disclaimer: I love the 1uzfe... but

You guys are going in the same direction of mis-information and techno-snobbery...

the facts...

LS1 - weighs 10kgs lighter than the 1uzfe
LS1 - has 6 bolt mains
LS1 - known to have 230rwkW with a stock engine with exhaust and tune....

DO NOT underestimate the good old american muscle...

BUT ..... 1UZ's are available from about $900 here in Aus.
find an LS1 for that much. ;)
hell, even the old 5L (304) motors go for that much!

Not sure about Aus, but LS1 & 6 speed on eBay plus the simple mods to get to 400 rwhp (heads, cam and headers) would not be any more than a 1UZ, 6 speed, and all the mods to get a N/A 1UZ up to 400 rwhp (bore, stroke, heads, cams, headers, extensive tuning). IF the 1UZ were as popular as the LS1, and we had very fierce competition for parts like the LS1 does, modifying the 1UZ would be cheaper.

Do not underestimate the LS1. They may be many years behind in valvetrain operation, but that does not mean they make great power. For me, I'll stick with the 1UZ anyway

HEY HEY HEY take it easy.. i would swap out that 1uz engine for an ls1 any day if i had the $ to simply do the custom work... do not underestimate the american v8.. i own 5 v8s total.. 2 ls1 1 800HP LT1 and 2 1uz engines... i love them all but i reckon that the ls6 v8 is far superior.. makes more power, consumes less gas and its PCM is configurable.... dont bash.. learn.

Guys,
Seriously how could you even try compare the 1UZ engine with the LS1.
Firstly your comparing engine's that are 20 years apart in design.
Secondly the 1UZ is a much smaller motor.
Thirdly the reliability of the 1UZ has well and truley proven it's self in all sort's of applications.
The design, build quality and materials used show the LS1 it's place in the picking order of performance motors.
While i would expect a Holden fan to jump in now and State what an idiot i am becuse everyone knows that the LS1 comes out with more power standard than the 1UZ.
I am not just refering to the stock power, Rather the whole package !
The standard power back in it's time made and Holden and Ford motor look gutless, then you compare the power to capacity, well.
Then when you look at the potential power of the stock unit's the 1UZ looks so big you can't see the LS1 in the distance.
To end the arguement, wait this isn't an arguement rather a statement of facts.
For all you non- believers out their i wish to point head you in the right direction !
Please refer to the "Zoom" mag issue #51.
The lexus engine made the front cover in a yellow celica.
In BOLD writing "REVOLUTION! 600KW twin turbo lexus V8 ..... with standard internals- try that with a holden !

What more can be said ?
Some people wont acept facts !

Regards

Stephen

coffee i guess u live in a place where ignorance is bliss....

there are dozens of LS1's with stock internels running more than 600kW... most of them supercharged.... but a few turbo's.....

just go to www.ls1.com.au

read and be educated

The LS1 is incredibly durable....... they don't just blow up.... many guys with high powered LS1's hit the race track every weekend and never have a problem...

The build quality from the american's / canadians is not flash but if you get a good one (bout 95% chance) then it will hold together....

THE 1UZ-FE is BIGGER and WEIGHS more than the LS1....

The LS1 has a lower centre of gravity...
The LS1 is easier and cheaper to modify
The computer is extremely powerful and easy to modify... not like the 1uz where you have ditch the stock unit as soon as u get serious with it..

i think his point was moreso directed at the engines Holden had released at the same time as the 1uz. So the old trusty 304.
the 1uz does make, and rightfully so, this engine look rather 2nd off.

its a good point.... i mean we may as well compare the 1uz to the new monster LS7 rather than the LS1. its only a few more years behind (decades for holden :p), plus only costs a "little" more than what the LS1 does over the 1uz.

Ford has a 4 cam 2 valve head.

Why would you go to the effort of 4 cams and only run two valves per cylinder.

To add insult to injury the valves aren't even set up opposite each other like a normal crossflow head. The valves are placed longitudinally which makes the head quite narrow unlike our 4 valve heads.

I discovered the Ford inlet manifold is 70mm wider than ours due to the narrower heads. I had to machine a lot of the manifold off before I could get it to go anywhere near fitting between our heads.

Ford's GT is a 32 Valve V8, and I thought the lesser variants were 3 valves per cylinder. It still cant digiuse the fact that they are undersquare over rated pieces of crap.