1UZFE Supercharger (M90 Vs. M112) Article

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Z,Kwick,
As I understand it from the Eaton site the M112 is no longer made only the MP112.

I'm guessing the MP supercedes the M.

The M112 and MP112 is the same cubic, but they are different in configuration. One is top inlet... and one is side inlet... That is the only difference.

The numeric designation on the Eatons is there cubic inch displacement. 90 = 90cid per 360 degrees of rotation of the pump. 112 = 112cid. I hear rumors of a 140cid Eaton soon to be released. Now, in virtually every application these superchargers turn faster than the engine rpm due to the pulley overdrive ratio. This ratio varies depending on crank pulley vs blower pulley diameters. Also remember that a 4 cycle engine must rotate 720 degrees to move its rated displacement.

The above said, and not considering the less than 100% volumetric efficiency of either an engine or a SC... here is what happens.

The a 4 liter engine can "breathe" say 2 liters per rotation and the M112 breathes 1.84 liters per revolution (61 cid per liter). If you turn the SC at the same speed as the engine... nothing much happens boost wise, in fact the SC may be a restriction and of course requires crank power to rotate so the net result is a loss in power. Now, if you spin the SC at 2 times crank speed the SC is now trying to force 3.68 liters into an engine that is only 2 liters of capacity (again, a 4 liter engine). The result is there is a measureable pressure in the intake manifold (boost). How much boost depends on MANY things but for the sake if rediculous simplicity lets say 15psi atmospheric pressure, a pressure ratio of 3.84 / 2.00 = 1.92 - 1.00 (atmosphere) = 0.92 X 15psi = 13.8psi of boost. Again, this is NOT a suggestion that this is the VERY boost level that this combo would make... just an illustration to show what is going on.

JBrady,

I have a 1.87 ratio and using Kenne Bells (I think that's the spelling) formula I should have 10.7lb boost.

I will gear the blower down so I have around 8lb and am looking at a "sandwich" air/water intercooler mounted under the blower. Hood height is not a problem for me.

At this boost I think the Soarer injectors will not support the flow. I can up the fuel pressure or swap the injectors. For simplicity I will try the fuel pressure and see what happens. I want to maintain the Crown ECU for EPA reasons but would if required swap to another.

I will use my Soarer injectors due to theiir size.

I have a spare engine now so if I manage to destroy one C'est la vie.

I won't have the system together for some months due to work and travel.

Zuffen,

Sounds like a good plan.

Interestingly enough, using my above numbers and substituting 14.7psi (sea level corrected barometric pressure) yeilds... 1.87 (blower overdrive) x 1.84 (liters for the 112) = 3.4408 / 2.00 (4 liter engine, 1 revolution displacement) = 1.7204 - 1.0 (atmosphere) 0.7204 x 14.7psi = 10.6psi boost... pretty close to Mr. Bell's "chart".

JB,

So old Kenne does know what he is on about!

Whilst I can see the M90 will do the job I figured it didn't cost any more to buy the MP112 with 9,000 miles on it than the MP90 with 90,000 miles on it. It was a no brainer. Plus the 112 won't work half as hard when the engine is being pushed.

I know I am going to struggle along the way but that is half the fun of doing these things.

I started pulling off my manifold from my Soarer engine last night in preparation for the arrival of the blower so I can send it all off for machining.

I just finished reading a book on supercharging. It is an American book. I will post the details on it. There is some pretty revealing stuff in the book.

Zuffen
We both can struggle along the way together. Joel is doing my manifold at the moment. Hopefully will be ready in the next couple of weeks.
I only live a couple of suburbs away from you so we may be able to bounce some ideas of each other.
Brett

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobra,

Give me a call on 9144 6700 (bus hours) or 0419 44 67 00.

I would appreciate getting together as we both are probably struggling a bit here.

To tell the truth I have never even driven a blown car and here I am trying to build one. God have mercy! I have a very good book on supergharging you may want to have a browse.

I will be in Europe over the School Holidays (taking my two boys on a cultural tour) so we can catch up before or after. My blower won't turn up until after I get back. Did you send Joel only your manifold or both manifold and blower. I have the manifold off my spare engine I could send him but I think he will need te blower as well to ensure the air entry opening is in the right place. i would think I am 8 weeks from getting the manifold back from Joel.

I guess you are using the M90 Eaton.

Cheers

Rod Garnett

He only needs the manifold. He will return it to you with a blank top plate. You will need to work out where the blower will sit and then have it milled to suit. I have a guy in Hornsby that can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi cobra the manifold is doing well it will be in the post lastest on tuesday i got stuck in melbourne longer than i thought just have to weld the top plate on them machine it flat useing your manifold i made a jig and took photos of the manifold been made step by step for the dyi people how may be intrested in making it them selfs. when i was in melbourne i got hold of just a manifold so i can make them on a exchange bases but i need at least 2 more

The Superchareg book I refered to is "Supercharged" by Corky Bell. It is an excellent read.

Of interest they show an actual instal which is on a v6 Fourrunner. Lotts of stuff they talk about on htis instal are very similar to our engines.