1UZFE Supercharger (M90 Vs. M112) Article

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
lextreme that is such a good artical i thank you for puting the photos on there its a credit to you what you have done with this great site its all about shearing info with each other thanks

Lex,

Thanks for the article.

I just purchased an MP112 (off a Ford Lightning so it is top air entry) on ebay for US$400.00.

Unit has covered 9000 miles. Should go well on the 1UZFE

I love this site :)

I've got a question about both SCs. They both state that they've got a bypass actuator. What is this?

Is it like a wastegate on a turbo so you can monitor how much boost your running?

I know they don't have an idle switch like the 4AGZE or the 1GGZE, so its not for that (wish they did have it though).

the bypass valve is fully opened under engine vacum at idle to bypass the air going through the supercharger this stops the supercharger from getting hot at idle and when you accelerate the engine vacum drops of and the bypass valve closes giving full air flow to the supercharger if you dont have a bypass valve and the supercharger is not intercooled or aftercooled there will be to much hot air in the manifold and when you accelerate hard there will be lag i also know a bloke how fitted a aircon clutch pully to an eaton so it can be turned on and of for what reason i dont know

Lightning is M112 top feed. This will work if you have none Soarer due to hood clearance. If you have Boats or other swap project should work fine.
Turbo makes boost when the engine is reved. Supercharger make boost or lots of air during idle. At idle u dont need much CFM, therefore bypass is to eliminate excess air. Remember, only at boost the actuator or bypass will closed. Crusing and at idle the bypass will be opened.

I love questions :)

So if someone is putting a front mount intercooler on a M90 they wouldn't need the bypass?

Also, how does the engine get ANY air when the clutch pulley is switched off on a positive displacement SC?

Do you know how easy/hard it was for him to put the clutch on an eaton? I know the reason behind it: As on David's beautiful new tech page, it shows that the SC actually NEEDS power to run. Up to and a little over 40hp in some cases. If you've got a clutch and a switch then you can turn that off during the wet or when your wife is driving, or even when you don't feel like braking traction at every blip of the throttle (sounds like fun to me). This would make it even MORE attractive to me.

were does the engine get the air from im not sure what he has done there i can find out but its a fairly easy job to fit a clutch to the front sharft its just a matter of some turning on the lathe

Peter,
when the bypass is open, though, the supercharger consumes very little power. It's just freewheeling, not compressing air.

Peter,

You can put in a front mount intercooler for the the root style supercharger, but it will be restrictive and people would prefer a water to air ic instead. Cluth on a supercharge would not be too easy. Secondly, clutch would slip in high rpm or heavy load.

Lex,

Whilst talking intercooling on Rootes blowers would this work?

Set up an aircondioning compressor and run a small evaporator unit between the blower and the manifold a bit like (I think) Kenne Bell produce.

The advantage here is the gas would be operating in a small evaporator and should be intake air heaps cooler than water/air ot air/air. You wouldn't be too worried about a small restriction of the air flow as I will have air to spare.

I can look at doing it because I do not use the air compressor on my application. I could leave the compressor on the engine and modify the plumbing to work in the new application.

With my MP112 it looks like it will give 10.68lb (using Kenne Bells formula)boost. I think I will need to either change pulleys or cool the air down heaps.

Looking at the graphs for the M90 and MP112 the 112 would be running at max revs on the engines red line. This means with the fall off in boost Eatons suffer at high revs the boost would actually drop at max revs which may help the engine survive.

I could decompress the engine but I think it would be easier to change the drive ratio which at present will work out at 1.877:1 so it is pretty well overdriven.

Why would a front mount be restrictive? There are whole setups (M90) on ebay for $300 including an intercooler. Why can't these be used? I've got my standard intercooler at home, and was looking at it last night, with the pipes both on one side, the pipes from the back of the charger could go to the front, through the cooler and back.

My only problem with a setup like this is I'd need to relocate my battery to get the pipes to go around the distributer covers (between distributer and strut tower on top of the heads). Intake would be on the opposite side, even the stock location.

soon as you start talking water to air you'll need to either raise the SC up an inch or 2 or pipe it somewhere else.

Yeah it's not hard to setup a switch on them. They are usually vac actuated. An electric valve and a boost controller type solenoid actuator would do it easy.

V8SUPRA,

I'm not running an M90, even though I started this thread.

I'm using an MP112 as it seems to have more scope for higher performance.

Fitting an intercooler under the blower is not a problem for me as I have 2.5" clearance above the standard plenum chamber. The 112 is actually of lower profile than the M90 by 1.5mm. If clearence became critical I could modify a duct I have in my bonnet to gain an extra inch if I need it.

My theory was to use the evaporator matrix from the Soarer (or similar) fitted below the blower and running the air conditioning into it. I can't see it would any less efficient the water/air or air/air.

My engine bay lacks room around the engine but has miles of room above the engine. I could have run the M90 intercooler under a bonnet scoop and it would have been fine.

Just to clarify, whats the difference between the MP90 and the MP112, and the M90 and M112? Roots and screw-type or just updated models? I understand the different sizes, 90 and 112, but what does the P mean?

Read the above link will give you more info.. basically.. M90 will give you an additional 90 cubic inches and M112 will give you 112 cubics in additional to our current motor size.