1UZ turbo RA28 project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

XR8tt

This mainly strip and accasional power cruise car..
Here are making an adapter to fit G.M's powerglide auto..
0e8a6552.jpg
Another..
2cdf934e.jpg
Lines up good but not welding in location pins until torque converter is
set up on flex plate..Latter will possibly need to fit SFI approved flex plate..
c2837c10.jpg
This is the turbo we are fitting, its an S475 airwerks 800 to 1200 h.p
75mm compressor wheel ..T6 flange 1.32 AR.. Way to big for street but should spool around 3800 rpm with some good anti lag tuneing etc..
Note the extended tip on wheel...
63a999fd.jpg

I may make up a flapper that blocks off one side of scroll till it starts to spool?? Much like a wastegate.. It halves the A.R.. But I don't think I'll need to..a2f3cbe9.jpg

53c3e53d.jpg

wow thats one big snail... your "flapper" idea.... is that in effort to spool quicker w/ the large size? Looks like its going to be one fun power cruiser :yumyum:

wow thats one big snail... your "flapper" idea.... is that in effort to spool quicker w/ the large size? Looks like its going to be one fun power cruiser :yumyum:

Yea by blocking off one side it vertually halves its A.R ..Gives it a variable A.R...Only to help spool, I may not require it tho..
If this S480 is spooled by 2.4 .. I'm sure a strong 4.0 on slightly smaller turbo will do the job..http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7288

Slight change of plans.. Turbo is going over to the side. Doing 40mm steam pipe manifolds now, fitting the rear right exhaust port around steering shaft is a little tricky. What I could do with some mirrors Lol...
Cut tack and fit - cat tack and fit about 10,000 times!! BUT we'll get there, merging 4 X 40mm into 75mm V clamp takes some time when in tight area..Not doing too bad considering my expertise is in overhead electrical mains [power/ electrical supply] ..
1UZ022Medium-1.jpg
These heads are about to be fitted with Moly retainers and 85/ 185 springs...

CNC1UZheadMedium.jpg
Not sure to run Powerglide or TH350 3 speed??
I purchased the CRS adapter so I can use either auto if required..
Most Powerglides here in Aussie have the bellhousing separable from auto so different bellhousings can be adapted from companies like Dellow..
The V8 Powerglide and TH 350/400 have the same bolt pattern..
The longer first gear MAY suit a turbo spool wise but then the lower first gear of the 3 speeds may assist in getting it off the line faster??
3 speeds can run higher final drive also.. But these engines rev...
We'll see...

Jeez that turbo starts looking big once you stick it next to the engine!!

Not interested in a TH400? why not?

I have a TH400 in my hilux...i'm ditching the current 308 for a UZ and can't decide on whether to keep the TH400 (crossmember and tailshaft already done but need UZ BH) or to go with the A340 i have (which bolt to engine but needs new tailsghaft).

Car will be a daily and my tow car so 4 speed seems to make more sense. But will be turbo (T61) so the toughness of the TH400 appeals?

what do you think?

At present I have the Powerglide with transbrake etc I bought through Summit racing U.S last time Aussie $$ was 98c ..
No matter what mods are done to them, with std housing they "say" its a 500 h.p auto until you build them with aftermarket housing...
I must say 500 h.p being a big block Chevy in a 2.5 ton vehicle is about the same as 800 in a 1 ton vehicle...Transbrake changes things a little !!
Off subject but I'm seriously considering replacing my Tremec TKO600 in my turbo XR8 with a TH400 to see how nice it is to drive and at the strip ?? Replacing clutch plates is an issue with 800 h.p even though its a twin plate clutch!!
If I'm not happy with TH400 ?? I can use it latter in the Celica as it will bolt right up..

But I have too many projects on now..
I'm fitting an STI motor in our Mrs 95 auto WRX.. With over 230kw it should be very quick with 3000 converter in earlier lighter WRX...
Yes interested in TH400 ..

Manifolds done !!

40mm steam pipe takes some patience fitting in tight area..
1UzCelicamanifolds006.jpg
Changed turbo position.. Will exhaust through inner guard..

1UzCelicamanifolds005.jpg

Streering shaft was an issue to get around..
Yes will fabricate rocker cover ...
1UzCelicamanifolds008.jpg
This is the moke up fabrication stage showing all the bad paint etc..
No crank in engine so it can be turned on rotisery, better ballance..
1UzCelicamanifolds011.jpg

Graeme
I thought I said just tac it all, then I'd weld it up for you?!
Just give me a call and I'll come over again.After Jambo I'm free to help out a couple nights.

Ahh me do things by halves??? Lol..
Getting there .. Waiting for diff to be shortened .. 1150mm from axle face to axle 10.5 Weld spoked wheels with 5" offset..
It was dropped off to be shortened 5 weeks ago, they said they would ring on final measurements.. They havn't rang me back I called in and gave them measurements.. Nothing is being done.. I'm after alloy housing etc so there's some money in it for them!!! Maybe speedway season is on it's way ?? Which they are into..
Then assemble my heads when I get the other one back..
Before I lose the springs, moly retainers etc..
Seem to be waiting waiting waiting...ZZzzzzzz...
Can't wait to fit doors, guards/ fenders and paint so it looks 1000 % better than it does now...

Graeme,

What gives with the engine. Do you keep swapping it?

I noticed it started without cams then had cams then with a timing belt and last photo is without a timing belt.

You must be getting sick of lifting it in and out.

Otherwise I know exactly what you mean about waiting. I've had my engine in the car for 6 weeks and I'm still waiting for stuff to be made or sorted that was started 3 months ago.

Aha yea thats the dead engine, no crank & rods.. I can pull out motor and box in about 5 minutes.. Went to plane B with header / exhaust manifold size and fitted rack and pinion steering from Corona...
The forged engine is at home wrapped in plastic waiting for heads to be assembled ...Picking up water to air intercooler from the states next month when I go to Sema and drive across the country to see my brother in chicago.. The 20 hour flight I'm NOT looking forward to..
I thought the 9" axle would take a couple of days !!! Sheesh !!

Rear end coming along.. The axles are Williams 40 spline using late model Ford disc brakes...
Celicadiff003.jpg
The housing is F150 9" .. Brackets are four link rear end with heim joints...
Celicadiff002.jpg
Total length is 1150mm axle flange to flange..

Moser housing and full spool centre is being assembled with 3.5 gears..Celicadiff001.jpg

Last edited: