1UZ swap into Series 2 RX7

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Next, the wiring

We start on the wiring tomorrow, which should be fun.

Here's a couple of pics of the bare engine bay (not very exciting) and a pic of the original loom. There was about 15kg of wiring and brackets that we removed.

We're hoping to get most of the wiring done over the next two days, we may be a bit ambitious but we'll see.

Andrew - the guys at Palmside Autos did the cage. I haven't seen that many before without padding on for comparison, but this one does look very very tidy.

Yeah Palmside are really good from the ones I have seen.

I would have expected a diagonal bar above the drivers side to the rear stay? Creates a triangle point of strength if you roll... having said that, its a pretty extensive cage! Looks like 1.5-2K worth of work...

What ECU are you wiring for? stock?

S14ProjectRollCage1.jpg

Yeah it was about that sort of price range, the seat mounts and the mods to the tunnel (so that the seat could be mounted with clearance for the drivers head (and helmet) to cage) cost a bit more.

I don't know about the cross bar, but the cage guy is the expert so I'm sure he's done what's needed. He's sorting out the homologation paperwork at the moment.

I've already wired the stock ecu in and had it running, so tomorrow we'll be running all of the auxiliary wiring for lights, gauges, radiator fan, sensors and instrumentation etc (we're not reusing any of the original wiring)

I figure we've got about 8hrs tomorrow and Monday, and with 2 of us working on it, we should be getting pretty close by Monday night. Plus we've both done plenty of wiring before so hopefully there won't be any mistakes.

It's incredible how much seemingly redundant wiring there was in that car. I've drawn up a revised wiring diagram, and it looks about half the size of the original so half the weight would be nice.

Well, we managed to get a fair chunk of the wiring done, but we still have the instruments and the fusebox to connect up.

I am pleased with how it's all turning out, it's pretty hard to conceal every wire when there isn't any interior hide them behind. When we're done, the only visible wire will be the main battery cable from the battery box (behind the passengers seat) to the isolator near the gear shift.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick away at the remainder of the wiring each night after work...

Hey Nick,
So this is that new project you were talking about. Sorry im a bit out of the loop, havnt been on here in ages. Yeah the S4/5 uses the rear sump and fits in quite nicely. How different are the 4/5 crossmembers from the S2??? Looks like its comming along nicely. You gonna run it up N/A then go on to Force feeding it later??

Philip

Howdy Phil,
The cross member isn't the only problem, it's the steering linkage that would make it impossible for a mid or rear sump to fit in a Series 1-3.

Things are coming along really well with the project, a little behind schedule but that's ok.

I'm actually up in the Bay at the moment; till Monday doing some work for friends. It's funny, this place doesn't change much from year to year.

Haha these things never run to a schedule, but hey thats the joys of engine conversions.

Well if your down here feel free to drop in, i work from home now so im always around. my ute is missing a drive shaft i cant take ya for a skid but its had a bit of a face lift since you were last here and a 3" drop in ride height.

Hi Phil,
I might just do that some time during the weekend.

The car is coming along pretty well, Chris (the project sponsor ($$$) and all round hard worker) has a really good idea of what he wants with the finished product, and he's pretty keen on the minimalist, functional race/show car look, so it's really important that we (me and him) plan where everything is going. So taking longer than intended is quite ok so long as the quality is top notch.

Muzz

A quick update on our progress.
The wiring is in, and I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. We spent way more time than expected running all of the wires, it was better to take it slow and make sure that they were all completely hidden than rush and make a f%$k up somewhere along the way. The only wiring that you'll see will be the battery cable where it goes to the isolator - almost made a stuff up there with the connection too, the iso switch needed a set of auxiliary contacts on it for the ignition so that the engine doesn't run on with the battery disconnected (alternator powering everything.... easy mistake to make)

Also got the radiator mounted, it needs the outlet pipe relocated still, but that's on the cards in the next week or so. Chris managed to fit a 16" fan on the back side of it too, so it should pull through some nice cold air.

We'll take the diff out next week so that that the mounts can be changed over to the hilux one, and then I reckon we're on the home straight.

Can't wait for this to be finished now.... the novelty is wearing off.

Muzz

Got the hilux diff in over the weekend, so we can now move it round again. It needs some 20mm spacers on each wheel to get the width exactly the same as the front, but that's no biggie. The drive shaft should be done by this weekend coming so we're pretty much sorted as far as drivetrain goes.

The fuel system and exhaust are still to be done. We've got all of the bits for fuelling it, it's just a case of mounting things up and connecting the lines.

Oh and front braided lines and the brake line linking the rear brakes across the diff, that definitely needs to be done. We'll probably just take it down and get someone to bend the rear one up one afternoon.

Pics soon...

Muzz

Coincidentally I just finished bolting up a 9" into the rear of my series 2 rx7. Did you have any problems using the standard watts linkage? I had to extend one arm and shorten the other before I could weld a mount on the diff.

Here is a picture off the diff:

newdiff.jpg

and her is a picture of the half finished watts mount:

wattsmount.jpg

have fun

Simon