1UZ swap into Series 2 RX7

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Howdy all,
we've made some slow progress lately, my laptop haemorrhaged so haven't been able to post any new pics (I'm on my work pc at the moment).

Basically its got all the bits on it to make it go, stop and handle well, it's just a case of finishing things off. Going from the pissy little series 2 brakes to the series 6 units means that the stock brake master cylinder isn't up to the task (have to press the brake pedal full travel to lock up). A mazda 929 unit should bolt up and provide enough volume, just got to get a hold of one.

The motor that's in the car now has only been started a few times, but it appears that it is smoking from both banks. I'm not sure whether the engine buggered, as its supposed to have done less than 100,000km, or whether because we've got the 250cc injectors running on the crown (215cc) ecu, it's running rich and getting bore wash... what do you all think?

We haven't had a chance to run it up to temperature under load (need the brakes sorted first) and have disconnected the cold start injector, so I'm not too sure whether this 1uz is a dud or whether the ECU just needs time to learn...

what are your thoughts?

Well, it's been about 6 weeks since my last post, and so it's about time for an update.

The engine is now running perfectly, the smokey exhaust colour was residual oil in the cylinders left over from when it was stored (I think). The larger injectors on the standard ecu give the 1UZ a much higher idle when the engine is cold which isn't surprising. The idle does slow as it warms up however, but the idle control valve hasn't really had a chance to set the correct idle rpm yet.

We took the car for a small blat down the road last night, the exhaust note sounded so sweet under load, and all of the controls felt tight (even the poxy steering box felt good). Many of the panels and glass were missing so won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Wired up the alternator finally, and found that the IC regulator in the back of it was blown. No problem, I had another whole alternator in the garage and so quickly replaced it; guess what? it had a blown reg too... bugger it all. So now I'm going to head down to the toyota parts dealer and see if I can order a reg... will let you all know how I get on. It's for the alternator with the older style round plug, and the alternator plug assembly is part of the regulator body. If anyone has a part number for that let me know, it might save me a bit of time.

Cheers,

Muzz

Miles Toyota gold plated ones huh?

Ken.

Yes indeed. I've found a supply of new regs for about $100 +gst. I'm going to check them out today to make sure they are the correct type. I could also get them for about $30-$50 delivered from China, but that's risky at best and will be my last option.

what did the weight balance feel like mate, did it seem to handle well.

The car seemed to handle like what I'd expect a 25 year old chassis to feel like (we haven't put the coil overs in it yet either) but then it was just a quick squirt up and down the road so it's really too hard to tell.

The weight balance will change once all of the panels and glass etc get put back in, that will be a while away yet.

Cribbj suggested that it might take 3 times as long and twice the budget to finish, I think we're looking more at the 4-5 times as long now. Or maybe when I said finished by November, it was 2008 I was subconsciously thinking of....

Muzz

you can finish the project on time.... if you pay people to do it! Mine took about 4 times as long to do just getting it going NA.

Will be good to see you car out on the track.

progress pics

Hi all,
here are some more progress pics on the RX7.

The first two show the car assembled. You'll have to excuse the crappy paint scheme, it will get a full cosmetic makeover once it's been track tested and certified.

The next two show most of the engine bay. You'll have to excuse the ginger engineer in the second one, he's not at all impressed with our recent slow progress. Custom aluminium covers are being fabricated to replace most of the plastic ones and make the engine bay look a little different, plus they will hide the few remaining visible wires.

The 5th pic is of the surge tank and filter. Both pumps are mounted under the car near the factory location on a custom pan. Once again, all the rough =panel work will be spruced up before it's all finished.

The final pic is of the rear brake assembly. The calipers are series 6 RX7 ones, and the rotors are the same as those on a 200SX. The brakes are mounted upside down to allow use of the series 2 hand brake cables, but that does mean that the caliper bleed screw is at the bottom, meaning that the assembly needs to be taken off to bleed the system.

Still to do on the car:
- hand brake cable
- dash board and gauge cluster (V2)
- front bumper mount and ducting
- coil overs
- oil cooler
- all glass in
- bonnet pins
- rear wheel spacers
- braided lines for the fuel supply and return in engine bay and for brake booster vacuum line
- cold air box and air filter mount
- overflow tank for radiator
- squirty bottle for the wipers
- probably heaps more that I can't think of right now

Will keep you all posted.

hi muzza looking good i have a window washer bottle here from a s1 rx7 that i wrecked still has the pump on it ill post it to ya for free if you want it cheers celos

Cheers Marcel, thanks for the offer. Chris has got a polished stainless steel catch can that'll be used as a washer reservoir so we should be right; it's just a case of mounting it and a small external pump.

Some other things to add to the to do list above (seeing as I can't edit it):
- battery mounting
- seats mounted properly and harnesses mounted
- new fibreglass rear bumper

Muzz

Looks good man..... I was thinking of doing the same thing once my Supra swap is done....

On a different note, it pretty funny that a tiny S1 RX-7 has more engine bay space then a big Supra.

loving the dash muzz looks awesome just read your article on the hilux diff makes me want one :) this will be a wepon

Started work on the dash during the weekend. The whole thing's being sculpted out of polystyrene in the car which will then be used as a former for the fibreglass. The plan is that we can then glass it up out of the car, which will save on loads of clean up afterwards. Rejected the idea of using a bastardised original dash, it would have looked half arsed.

The cabin feels so much smaller with a dash in, will get some pics as we progress through.

Muzz

Cheers for the pumps Ken, they'll work a treat.

If I don't use them I'm sure they'll come in handy for another Lextremer.

Quick update on project 7UZ: Dash board is taking shape, we have a blocky polystyrene mock up of a custom one now. It's just a case of shaping it and prepping it for the fibreglass.

Will post a whole bunch of pictures once we're done, as there's bound to a few iterations/mods/mistakes before we finish.

Muzz