1uz sump for 92 4runner

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Hi all.

I seek the wisdom of the gurus for some advice on my new conversion.
I'm pulling the 1uz out of my HZ Holden ute and I'm wanting to fit it to my '92 4runner. The engine is a Crown with a centre bowl not the front bowl that everyone seems to favour.

My question is: can i use my centre bowl sump? I have IFS and no plans to change to solid axle so suspension clearance isn't an issue.
The 4runner has a 2" body lift so i can possibly lift the engine slightly for more clearance if that is the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone in Adelaide that's done a 1uz into 4runner /Hilux swap already??

Cheers people,
Jay.

I can see a few people have looked but no advice? :confused:
So anyway,I spent my weekend swapping output shafts. Not really that hard when you get down to it, just start from the end and work in keeping everything in order. Had to go buy some circlip pliers tho! :)
Will be dropping the engine in tonight to check sump clearance. I'll let you all know how i get along.
Anyone want a Surf trans with no output shaft?? I'll only scrap it if no one wants it.

Mate, as far as I'm aware, you will need a front sump. I've got a Hilux with indepentant front end, so basically the same as yours and doubt if you could raise the engine enough with your centre sump. I also have a 2inch body lift.

Bit unsure why you need to change output shafts. try searching my buildup on 4wdmonthly
forum. http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=51485

Hi Duza,
I didn't mean to sound so impatient!
My engine is an early import that i've had for a few years now in another 2wd ute. it's a crown trans and has a different output shaft that has a narrower section where the speed sensors are (there are two and they don't look like yours) and the splines are shorter and only on the last section of shaft. I'll try and put up some photos later so you can see what I mean.
Where everyone else has cut their shafts mine had no spline to use!
On the sump side you are right- it didn't fit! I've got a body lift as well and considered a diff drop to gain some room but the drain plug would still be right above the diff centre!
Anyway I've ordered a new sump from Brisvegas so should be back on the go next week.
Cheers anyway mate.

Guys,

I have a complete front summp for sale. Shipping $100, sump $100.

Aluminum front sump part
front oil pan
front oil pick up
front dipstick.

Thanks guys, I've already got the Celsior sump from Brisbane and got the engine in on mounts that I should finish off tonight. Looks like it should've always lived there!! Trans cross member is nowhere near but one of the apprentices at work has a spare 4cyl Hilux one that sounds like it will go close.
The loom came back from Venom late last week so I'm half way through fitting that too.
I must get around to posting those photos of my output shafts coz they are nothing alike behind the rear trans bearing!
Any Aussies got any good leads on a realistic insurance company that will cover these conversions??

Any Aussies got any good leads on a realistic insurance company that will cover these conversions??

My Hilux is only insured for third party fire and theft. I had no problems with Just Insurance, but didn't try for comprehensive. My experience in the past has been that if you are already insured with a particular company and ring up after engineering to let them know what you have modified, they are likely to accept you, but if you approach an insurance company for a new policy, you may have problems.
Ric

You could try Australian 4wd Insurance (DGA Insurance). They will insure it as long as everything has been engineered and is leagal.

http://www.dgainsurance.com.au/4wd.htm

Cover for imported 4x4s
Australia-wide coverage for drivers 25 and over
No exclusions for modifications
A new vehicle if yours is written off in a collision within two years of manufacture (before 30,000 kilometres)
Emergency repairs after a collision or theft
Temporary accommodation if your vehicle is disabled or stolen more than 100 kilometres from home
Cover for damage to a towed trailer
Cover for personal belongings, portable refrigerators and camping equipment
The cost of hiring a vehicle (for up to 14 days) if your vehicle is stolen
Windscreen claims do not affect your No Claim Bonus
Faultless No Claim Bonus and Faultless Excess
Protected maximum No Claim Bonus after two years claims free with CGU Insurance
$10,000,000 legal liability for Property Damage
Pay by the month premiums available at no extra cost
Full off road cover anywhere in Australia
No limit on the amount of accessories fitted
Standard excess applies to off road accidents
Low kilometres option
Nominated driver option
Choose your own repairer

Shannons. Not sure of prices yet as haven't finished mine even tho she is running and driving so legal but not quite legal

Thanks guys, that gives me something else to research in my lunch time! I've already got a hot rod with shannons so that might help:)
I'm still playing around mounting my battery and air cleaner etc. Gotta sort out drive shafts and finish off the wiring too. plus the body is getting a respray mid January so i got a bit of time before i need insurance!

Hi all,
just a quick progress report. The engine is mounted, wired and plumbed and starts up 1st flick of the key. dropping it into gear makes the output flanges spin but the drive shafts dont come back from hardy spicers until tonight so no movement yet!
The radiator was a little fun :rolleyes: Had the outlets changed and the core moved 10mm forward in the straps giving clearance for two 9" thermo fans on the back.
The body is all sanded back and the respray starts on saturday- should be driving it to the shop to do it too!:D
Still on the to do list is sorting out the air con - the compressor needs to change sides of the engine bay, change pulleys (or compressor) and have new hoses made.
Ive got one wire left to connect for the speedo, still got the v6 tacho too so thats not acurate. A few other non related issues like cv boots and sway bar mount bushes thrashed out then its off to the engineer!
Will update again soon and try to post those output shaft photos too.

Hi all, another update for you. My 'Runner is coming along nicely. With the newly modified shafts bolted into place we drove the car to and from a friends workshop to respray the body. in total we wouldve covered about 250km.
Initially i had some cooling dramas when i pulled up at red lights but found that one of my fans was spinning backwards pushing hot air back through the radiator!
I rewired that on the side of the road and it seemed to fix the problem. Much more testing needed but with no rego it's hard.
Some of the other issues are sorted out but still some to go. No reverse lights yet and still need to move the cruise control wiring to suit the relocated actuator plus no low range due to the electric engaging transfer I havnt even looked into yet!
I'm talking with an engineer and trying to get it inspected soon (prob 1st week of April which is the week before my wedding so I'll be on holidays from work) He's not really keen on the body lift and the 33s but I'm trying to convince him :) Here's a photo of how it looked when I 1st started it up.
photo-1.jpg