1UZ SC setup on stock

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

live4soccer7

I've been reading around quite a bit on different supercharger setups out there for the early 1UZ engines, which is what I've got. I have one from a 91 LS400. Everything is stock and it is going in my 4runner.

I am more curious than anything at this point, but what can I expect out of a supercharged setup on stock components (internal/external) with/without cooling?

I see that the M90 and M112 seem to be the most common options. The rig is a 4runner that sees offroad use, so keeping it the most simple would likely be ideal. Are those the best options for SC's out there. I had read about a whipple being applied and I believe autorotor too.

I have read that there are several adapters out there: Rush, Richwood, and Bullet

I can only seem to find Bullet. Any recommendations between these choices or other options out there?

I have been digging around for hours and hours on this topic and it seems like a lot of contradictory information out there. I was hoping to get some information from someone with experience/knowledge rather than those that simply speculate on the topic.

Last edited:
I have a 1uzfe in my 03 extra cab hilux it has a m90 on it from bullet . I have been running it for the last 5 years and i love it. I am running stock motor with stock ecu and have had no problems its my everyday driver for work and she kicks arse offroad . I am running 33 tyres with 4.8 diffs and i forgot to mention its auto from v8 mounted to surf transfercase. Highly recommend it good economy and plenty of power sounds killer running twin 2.5 inch stainless exhaust what more could you want. Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions.

I have a 1uzfe in my 03 extra cab hilux it has a m90 on it from bullet . I have been running it for the last 5 years and i love it. I am running stock motor with stock ecu and have had no problems its my everyday driver for work and she kicks arse offroad . I am running 33 tyres with 4.8 diffs and i forgot to mention its auto from v8 mounted to surf transfercase. Highly recommend it good economy and plenty of power sounds killer running twin 2.5 inch stainless exhaust what more could you want. Hope this helps feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the info, that is very helpful. Are you running the LS 1UZ or the SC version? I know the injectors are different and possibly a couple other small things, but I would be curious.

Do you have any idea how much power you are putting down. It is really just to get an idea. I would imagine that you are running an early 1UZ engine (94 and prior).

Are you running any cooling for the supercharger?

I'd also be quite curious what your fuel efficiency is as well, if you don't mind. You dared to let me know it was ok to ask questions. :D

Engine is a 91 sc400 no extra cooling for supercharger . I am using a landcruiser hzj aluminium radiator with 16 inch puller thermo fan ,will only warm up if reved hard thru soft sand. I am getting just over 7km per liter of fuel . The car weighs 2 tonne i dont know how to post any pictures off my phone but if you go on youtube and type in dantes ute there is a bit of video my freind took . The dyno at the wheels before i changed the diff ratios from 4.6 to 4.8 was 208hp and 670nm of torque at 3500 rpm.

Engine is a 91 sc400 no extra cooling for supercharger . I am using a landcruiser hzj aluminium radiator with 16 inch puller thermo fan ,will only warm up if reved hard thru soft sand. I am getting just over 7km per liter of fuel . The car weighs 2 tonne i dont know how to post any pictures off my phone but if you go on youtube and type in dantes ute there is a bit of video my freind took . The dyno at the wheels before i changed the diff ratios from 4.6 to 4.8 was 208hp and 670nm of torque at 3500 rpm.

Thanks for the info. It equates to about 16.5 miles per gallon in the US. Is most of the highway, city, or 50/50 mix?

I've currently got 37's on the truck, 1st gen 4runner (84). It likely weighs about 2tons as well. I have a set of 4.10's in an axle that I can put in. It will have the R150 with a dual case setup behind the transmission.

R150 Setup
-------------
Diff Gear: 4.88
5th: .838
Tires: 37"
@60 RPM 2228

R150 Setup
-------------
Diff Gear: 4.56
@60 RPM 2082

R150 Setup
-------------
Diff Gear: 4.10
@60 RPM 1872

You should be at about 2100 RPMs at 60mph/96.5kmh.

Last edited:
Thanks to the both of you!! I was unable to find the video until blackuzz31 posted the link.

Dante, this has been a huge help.

Do you have any advice/input on the supercharger setup?

I'm also curious how your exhaust is setup. Size? Are you running any cats? What headers?

Last edited:
I have custom headers 4 into 1 and then a twin 2 and half inch stainless exhaust running magnaflow cats a magnaflow muffler that has internal crossover and then rear resonators , I added j pipes recently to the rear to fix drone at 2100 rpm. When i licensed it i had to pass the 240 emission test so had to use ve commodore cats . The ute before i added the blower lacked bottom end torque probably due to the oversize exhaust but not any more . I bought the blower kit from bullet because i just wanted something reliable , it wasnt cheap 6 g but it only took me 1 friday night to fit it . I have no problem whatso ever i use my ute for work every day i am an estimator for a scaffold company and clock up 30 to 40000 km a year. Its been 5 years now that i have been cruising around and people still spin out when i rock up to site. I have been offered good money to sell my ute but I cant think of anything better to replace it with. I am not sure what your goals are for your 4wd but if you want a good reliable affordable everyday driver then this is the go , if your after a weekend warrior then more boost after market ecu bigger injectors so on is probably the way to go.

Just thought you might want to know I was spitting out diffs like you wouldnt believe and that was only playing in the sand. I fitted nitro gears and spartan auto lockers to both front and rear diffs and touch wood haven"t had trouble since . Front end is independent and have destroyed front cvs in the past but now i wont full power into corners while in 4wd anymore. Hope this helps these are things you have to look forward too remember with great power comes great responsibility.

Dante, thank you very much for the into. I know I will have to adjust some things on the rig after getting it up and running, but that is ok. I will work it out as I go along. I just started in to the wiring yesterday. I'll be able to really dig in to it this week.

I understand on the bullet kit. I may end up doing the same thing as I have been working on the truck long enough and when I get to that point, I want to start using it consistently and not have to 'tinker' with it. Any reason why you went with the M90 over M112?

I don't have any smog restrictions on my rig, so I can do whatever I'd like with exhaust. Any suggestions? It is an 84 4runner, so it is already quite loud in the cab. I was thinking of just deleting cats all together since I don't need them.

The true track diff set up looks great did a bit of reading seems to be a bit more expensive to the auto locker though. I done my first half shaft cv with an open center diff and the next with the locker both times i was on full steering lock giving her a bit in low range , I dont do that any more so no more cv problems. The half shafts are only 50 bucks a pop and not a great deal to change so i havent bothered buying expensive ones and replacing them. Thanks for the suggestion black uzz do you know of anyone that have fitted the truetrack . Sorry live4soccer i didnt mean to take over your post I chose the m90 over the m112 because after searching for imformation the m90 seemed to be less parastic and more efficient at low psi compared to the m112. I had no intentions to upping the boost so the m90 was my chose if you plan on higher boost then i would recommend the m112 or better still the harrop. Exhaust wise I am by far no expert but depending on what your after ,eg if its cosmetic then a twin allways looks good, if your after performance then an exhaust that is least restrictive to flow would probably suit a blown engine. Going too big exhaust on a naturally aspirated engine apparently slows the exhaust flow and hence reduces the scavenging effect of the cylinder during exhaust stroke resulting in less torque. There is plenty of imformation on this forum under the exhaust section check it out very interesting reading.

Dante: Thank you very much for the info. I seems the m90 may be my choice of blower as well. I am looking for an efficient setup, but also a little fun as well.

I'll likely stick with the NA setup for a bit while I work out all the kinks and figure out my final gearing setup as well. Then after that I will FI the engine with one of the blowers. I want it to have the least impact on efficiency as possible as most of the time the blower will not be necessary.

I'll have to take a look at the exhaust section to see what people recommend for size etc...

No problem sounds good when doing the wiring I recommend hooking the engine malfunction light to your dash , comes in handy if your engine wants to talk to you by throwing a code.

Thanks. I definitely will. I am retaining the LS400 harness (stripped of what I don't need), so it will have all the main functionality as it did in the car it was designed for. I am also using the gauge cluster from an SC400 (it fits better in my truck) and the steering column from the LS400 (already installed in the truck). It will be a bit of work doing it this way, but it is just how I wanted to do it. I started identifying everything on the LS harness today. Once I finish that then I'll strip the harness down of unnecessary wire and prep it for fitment to the truck. It's moving along quite smoothly so far, I'm excited to get this thing going. It's been a lot of work, but nothing too challenging really.

I think the research was the most exhausting part of it so far.

I can't think of any other questions at the moment, but I thank you very much for all the help you have provided so far. I'm sure I will come up with a question in the not so distant future and I'll post up here if I do. Thanks again!

I did all my own wiring as well, a good learning curve , hang in there nothing more satisfying then taking on a challenge and succeeding. If you can post some pictures it would be good to see how your travelling.