1uz->R154 Best options??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ToranaJudd

Hey guys,

To this day I am still dumfounded about what to get in the way of a clutch setup. I mean I still do not know what is the best option for me. I will have a fairly worked 1uz with a GT42R turbo or GT4088R so power will be up there. Mainy a street driven car and will enter it in some events (mostly for fun/non-competition). The R154 wont be given a hugely hard time. Possibly every now and then which brings me to what type of clutch to use.

Exploring all options, I dont want to pay $10k for a clutch but I dont wanna get this weeks Aldi special either. From what I have read and understand (I think), a Triple or Twin plate is the go for me, a bit noisy, and they tend to rattle and need maintanence, but for a car that will be lucky to see somewhere between 5000-10000km's a year, who cares!

Seeing as it is a Supra box there obviously must be some sort of interchangability with clutch. I mean what do all the 1000hp Supra's use? There also has the be a good option for the flywheel. I have seen you guys do/try to do and GB for a Alluminium light weight one. But basically i am looking for something that will do the job. Needs to be big enough to support the bigest possible clutch surface area and strong enough. I have seen Dellows makes a Billet alluminium that they make from your existing ringgear. Has anyone used and had experiances with these?

Other than that I have read that a R154 uses a different slave cylinder arrangement that other gearboxes. Is this true? I have looked at the Thor website and seen they have an adaptor to suit the !uz bellhousing to the R154, Looks like a better deal than the Dellows/CRS types that require modifing to work (sump etc). I noticed they had a Slave Cylinder on theirs thats inside the bellhousing. Is that a R154 one or an aftermarket thing?

All I can think of for now.... Looking to do this just once. So need to get it right the first time. Remember this car will (I hope) see up near 1000rwhp. So the clutch will need to be able to cope with that....

Cheers, Judd.

Juddy,

I am in a similar position, I have a twin turbo 1UZ in build process with R154 box attached. I went with a tilton sintered triple plate clutch with tilton hydrolic release bearing and custom flywheel and custom cast bellhousing. The kick ass Supra box is the V160/1 6 speed, not the R154. the R154 will be good, but wont hold the torque the 6 speed will. The r is pull and V is push type clutch. So no interchangability there...

Dont waste your time with Thor, you can get a solution from a place in NZ for MUCH less like I did, and others...

Hey e-solver,

Are you able to supply pricing figures and part numbers of the tilton componetns you went with? Would be interested to compare them with some of the stuff i have seen here in Australia. I am hoping to Traven to NZ next January so it may be a possibility to buy things from there too! ie Kelford cams :) Where did you get your bellhousing and flywheel from and were you able to bolt them on with no modifications nessesary? How much did you pay for that?

I have seen that Thor looks like a good item, but looks very over-priced IMO..

Cheers, Judd.

Also 1ndecent,

What type of turbo is that? Is that the GT42R or the 45R Or is it the journal bearing alternative to the above?

Your individualy coilpacks look awesome... Anymore info on them?

Cheers, Judd!

Attachments

• P1010704.JPG
    P1010704.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 5
It's a GT4202R.

The coils are MSD, I forget the part number, but I'll bet it's on their website somewhere. If I was going to do it again, I'd use Bosch coils, the MSD ones are an awkward shape to fit into the available space.

How much power are you hoping to make 1ndecent? Will that single plate be enough for your requirments..? I alwasy thought you would need 2-3 clutch packs for the increrased torque/power?

Cheers, Judd.

Hey e-solver,

Are you able to supply pricing figures and part numbers of the tilton componetns you went with? Would be interested to compare them with some of the stuff i have seen here in Australia. I am hoping to Traven to NZ next January so it may be a possibility to buy things from there too! ie Kelford cams :) Where did you get your bellhousing and flywheel from and were you able to bolt them on with no modifications nessesary? How much did you pay for that?

I have seen that Thor looks like a good item, but looks very over-priced IMO..

Cheers, Judd.

Hey mate,

The fly wheel was bolt on and around NZD350, the bellhousing was around NZD650 all bolt on. The clutch was NZD1400, and the release bearing around NZD400. Nil modifications required with these parts :) Sourced from A1 Turbos in Auckland area. Very good to deal with, and reasonable prices!

at the risk of exposing my lack of knowledge on the tranny side of the house. I was under the impression that the R154 would only hold up to around 400-450 hp am I incorrect and it will go higher.

I ask because I am at a point where I cannot really crank up the HP (even though it is available) on my car because I cannot find a tranny solution I can afford that will hold 800 hp.

The R154 is a very cost effective transmission if it will hold the hp and the solution is one I would be willing to fork out the money for. REasonable for me means 5k usd or less.

Morris yes you are somewhat correct... I have seen / heard of it holding up to 600WHP however. Though its torque not hp that kills them. The thrust washer seems to be the documented weak link, and the bearing cover

Thanks for the info e-solver.

Will work out a little cheaper again after conversion to AU dollars.

Have you got any piccies for me? And have you had the setup running yet? Any feedback?

Cheers, Judd.

Kool, nice piccies. Looks to be quite small compared to the Flywheel. Does surface are count when coming to clutches? I suppose the lack of surface area is made up with triple clutch packs right?

Judd.

Is that clucth a special order? Or is it the one he supplies in all the Dellow's kits?

Judd.

It is the clutch cover that came with the dellow kit, but my local clutch guy in Perth modified it by changing the location of the pivot points to give it a higher clamp load.

The ceramic friction plate was reused from my old turbo 7M clutch setup.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 6