1uz Mr2

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sunskreens

Hey guys I'm currently doing a 1UZ conversion into a 1991 MR2 and I was wondering what transmission to use? I was thinking of putting in a Holinger 6 speed and doing paddle shift mods on it. I thought of the Holinger because of its strenght as I hope to soon be putting a bit of power through the driveline(aiming for around 900hp). What are you opinions on what transmission to use? Cheers guys and girls.

900hp.

I'm looking at 600hp and can only find an old Chrysler Torqueflite that will reliably handle that without a major build.

I can't think of any manual that can handle that sort of power without a lot of problems.

T5 6 speed would handle the HP, but I dont think it will fit in a MR2 and a hollinger would cost around $AUD15 000+ brand new.

900HP through a FWD box is going to be a MAJOR hassle.

Unless you strech the car and mount the engine North/South then you could use one of the big HP race transaxles.

Do hollinger even do a box that will handle 900HP that is not a FR box?

MikeMan said:
900HP through a FWD box is going to be a MAJOR hassle.

Unless you strech the car and mount the engine North/South then you could use one of the big HP race transaxles.

Do hollinger even do a box that will handle 900HP that is not a FR box?
Thats peak power dude.

Anyway you can just have straight cut gears made there not that expensive.

You can do what mike said but you have to move the engine closer to cabin.

I have seen what half that power does to a toughened FWD box in a mid-ship config and I do not think it will survive.

Even a MR-2 GT-S Turbo box with a SC gearset and TRD bearings would not take that amount of Torque for long.

MikeMan said:
I have seen what half that power does to a toughened FWD box in a mid-ship config and I do not think it will survive.

Even a MR-2 GT-S Turbo box with a SC gearset and TRD bearings would not take that amount of Torque for long.
Your gonna show me recorded data so I can veiw it?

How does it being FF gear box make it weak thats silly.

shrug.gif
:-\ plenty FF's 500 hp up in the Honda comunity are fine.

These are oem boxes too.

Attachments

• 1uz 001.jpg
    1uz 001.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 1uz 002.jpg
    1uz 002.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 1uz 004.jpg
    1uz 004.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 66
  • ESP_CRS6000B3D_H-Beam_2_l.jpg
    ESP_CRS6000B3D_H-Beam_2_l.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 65
use a gm v6 fwd box same way its used in a pontiac fiero, they handle small block (gag vomit) chevs ok

Attachments

• DSCF0612.JPG
    DSCF0612.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 18
Peewee said:
500hp from a 1.6-2.0L 4cyl doesn't compare to the torque from 500hp from a 4.0L V8 (turbo of each obviously)
500hp V8 or 500 i4 it uses the same amount of air to make its power.

However the 4 cylinder runs alot faster which means there trannys would too.

In nopi hotrod there running over 1000hp through those FF transmission using straight cut I'm pretty sure it would last.

On the other hand this about his topic, I dont think theres enough room to mount it that anyway.

He all,

It's the curve of the amount of Newton/meters that kills your box, period! I've seen Tremec T5's behind cosworth engines over here which would go on and on and on at 550hp, however when the V8 boys supercharged(lysholm) a smallblock and take 500HP the tremec blew all it's gears out because there was something like "godknows" how many N/m comming loose at vertual standstill of the gearbox input shaft.

So thats what kills boxes, not 900hp (which I do find hard to believe anyway) but: the torque at a certain inputshaft speed vs traction on the ground rips the teeth.

there aint no FWD east/west tranny that takes 900hp for periods over 14 sec, and further than 400meters.

phone ZF for a F1 box, that might be able to keep up, when you put the right gears init, than you'll have the best box on earth. would cost a bloody fortune.

remember even the World Record(s) Ultima GTR has only 640HP on a porscheG50 box they do a version which has 760, but that's as far as they can go with reputedly to be the strongest production Transxale out there. those boxes cost around $5000USA when pretty good, and over 12.400 euro's when new.

aint no way it's gona happen with a east/west box

regards Striker

I agree with you.

A Hewland Champcar box from the turbo era would PROBABLY hold up, or maybe a DG300 with a modern SC gearset but apart from that I am not sure what would.

A lot will depend on the weight of the car, a box that will handle 800nm in a 600KG car will break with 500nm in a 1300KG car.

Hey MikeMan,

That's what I meant with traction, weight is more or less completly related to traction. The engergy much go somwhere, so if your wheels aren't spinning or your clutch, the input shaft will break on any box. or your clutch pack will.

anyway I doubt if it would drive well at all, a v8 in east west configuration.
it would be a total bitch to get in probably
who's knows a gearbox that will take the abuse.
bla bla bla bla,
It would on the other hand be very very wicked to have!

another example of the gearbox vs Torque thingy,
there's a guy on the smartgroups forum (sylva cars related) who has a Sylva striker aswell, The same as mine, however he's put a 180hp duratec engine in it, another friend with the dutch kitcarclub has a 190HP tts tuned hayabusa in front of the same live axle, both do the same top speed but the Busa gets there far quicker, however it's the Duratec engine which eats diffs, at a rate off about 2 a year (+/- 7500km). the busa thingy keeps on going and going.
Problem is, the duratec delivers the peak Hayabusa torque at allready 2300RPM, so where do you think that amount of energy will go when the wheels aint spinning
Those guys all drive Yokohama A04 semi slicks on the road and the cars are among the best space frames ever desinged,

So the saying that a "500HP B16 turbo/Nos whatever 1.6 L4" engine delivers the same amount of engery/work in a pull-up situation, as a 500HP 1Uzfe, needs to get his head checked methinks!

grtz Thomas

ps I think the best chance to find a gearbox for the V8 mr2 conversion, should come from the european Turbo Diesel market. maybe the VAG has something. (they make the 550NM TDI's and W12 turbo engines)

The E153 MR2 turbo box will take SOME abuse, there is one conversion going in NZ with a 1UZ going into a Gen1 AW11 MR2 and I think he is using the E153.

But it will not take the torque of a 900HP 1UZ especially with the weight of an SW20.

striker said:
He all,

It's the curve of the amount of Newton/meters that kills your box, period! I've seen Tremec T5's behind cosworth engines over here which would go on and on and on at 550hp, however when the V8 boys supercharged(lysholm) a smallblock and take 500HP the tremec blew all it's gears out because there was something like "godknows" how many N/m comming loose at vertual standstill of the gearbox input shaft.

So thats what kills boxes, not 900hp (which I do find hard to believe anyway) but: the torque at a certain inputshaft speed vs traction on the ground rips the teeth.

there aint no FWD east/west tranny that takes 900hp for periods over 14 sec, and further than 400meters.

phone ZF for a F1 box, that might be able to keep up, when you put the right gears init, than you'll have the best box on earth. would cost a bloody fortune.

remember even the World Record(s) Ultima GTR has only 640HP on a porscheG50 box they do a version which has 760, but that's as far as they can go with reputedly to be the strongest production Transxale out there. those boxes cost around $5000USA when pretty good, and over 12.400 euro's when new.

aint no way it's gona happen with a east/west box

regards Striker
Thanks for explaining that now I understand.