1uz Knocking Noise

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LXS-180

Hi Everyone, has been a while, have had the 1uz in my s13 for a couple of years now, clutch is working pretty good now... Recently the steering has been sticking mid turn at low speeds, this is probably because i ran the car a few times with no power steering fluid in it (well im hoping this is the issue) and last night i heard a horrible knocking noise just before pulling in the driveway... Here is a vid of it idling cold, but you can hear it gets louder as i move towards the power steering pump... Im about to take of the belt and see if free spinning the pump does anything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYpaVGWvBu4

Thanks

hi there

it sounds like a loose exhaust cover.. or your oil pump is not sending enough oil to its head?or you did valve face grinding without changing the shims or grinding abit off its valve tip? or you have a worn piston ring and your piston have excessive gap so it moves around sideways ? or you didn't align the sliding cam gears correctly? i think powersteering pump won't make that slapping noise. try removing the belt and turn the pulley by hand fast clockwise and counter clockwise to see weather there's sound..

hey there

I would suggest you accelerate the engine by the throttle lever to listen whether the slapping sound became more solid to your ears. i suspect something happen to your connecting rods by listening to this new video.maybe some oil sludge stuck in one of your crank pin holes and restrict the flow of oil to one of the connecting rod bearing so the bearing worn off and have some gaps or your piston pin is rocking between the piston pin hole.take off your oil sump and start to rock your piston rods by hand to hear for sound..

Well after doing some more poking around, i have come to the conclusion that its a big end bearing or a piston is slapping around in the front driver side of the block. Here is another vid, less background noise and moving around the area of the noise.. I also put a ratchet extension bar on a few places and found the noise to be loudest when on the front of the sump :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZtCjt8t2bc

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope, put it on various parts of the engine and accessories and see if you can isolate it.

If you don't have one, here's an easy way to make one:

Get a 6mm or 8mm stud and fit it into some 1/4" or 3/8" carb type fuel or vacuum hose. Voila, one mechanic's stethoscope. Use the stud end as the probe, and stick the free hose end in your ear, and start probing around and listening.

You can also use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, touching the metal end to the engine and trying to listen to the handle end, but the stud & hose works better.