1UZ into Mistubishi FTO

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Samson_1

Hey guys,
Im new here. But i am currently looking into the possibility of putting a V8 into an FTO.

I currently run a 250kw turbo motor, but its about maxxed out with absolutely everything done to it.

This is a long way off yet but i was hoping you guys might be able to give me a clue as to wether its plausable or not.

The standard FTO has a 2.0L Quad Cam V6 (6a12) in it. With a couple of people installing twin turbo 2.5Ls (6a13tt) from galants into them .

But i want something different. A Supercharged V8 FTO.

From what i hear, the 1UZ motor is quite compact for a V8. Not to mention having quite alot of power and a strong bottom end (Needed for the charger).

The FTO already has a drivetrain tunnel, despite being FWD.

So far, im thinking, i have to get a drop tank and maybe move the cross bar to fit in a RWD drive train, from perhaps a commodore or something.

The total budget im looking at is around $25-30k in modifications, including supercharging the motor.

here is a few pics of my current FTO, to give you some ideas of what im trying to work with.

ABCD0002.jpg
image_00070.jpg
ftoenginexc2.jpg
image_00069.jpg
My spare halfcut:
NewImage.jpg

The end resulting look that i want is:
fto_09.jpg

If anyone could let me know if this is waaaay out of the question for a conversion or not.. I just want that v8 Rumble, and about 500hp at the rear treads.

Any help would be awesome!

Righto... IM starting up this project again... I got the previous FTO up to around 400hp but am still wanting to do this project.

Have organised a place to build me a blown 1UZ good for 800hp+

One thing im wondering... What gear boxes would bolt up to this thing? I Need something really small but tough as nails... I hear the celica boxes are quite good? And i've seen they are very small....

Any boxes you guys would recommend that are smaller than the supra 5sp?

I would talk to an Engineer first.

From what I know of the modification rules in Australia you can't turn a FWD car into a RWD car.

Justen on this Site used a 4WD Celica for his swap and deleted the FWD. All other simillar looking Celicas are FWD so he couldn't use them for the conversion.

Have done some more research.

Found engineers fine with the whole FWD-RWD conversion... they have said no specific laws stopping me...

Am still trying to find a halfcut under $4k tho.. :(

Have talked to Tim at Bulletcars... Seems to be a helpful chap.. So thinking might be doing a fair amount of dealing with him pending prices...

My housemate is a mechanic, my partners father is a panel beater/welder and i work for a mitsubishi/toyota car dealership so i've got alot of backup on this one....

Anyone in Aus know of any halfcuts lying around for cheap? KMs are not an issue...

Oh and also, heres a quick List of our plan of attack once we're done finding out all the legalities...
Stage One: Engine Bay
- FTO Chassis
- 1UZ-FE Quad Cam V8 4.0L Halfcut
Strip down the FTO. Remove 1UZ Engine. Manoeuvre the 1UZ into the engine bay. Trial Fit engine with ancillaries
Stage Two: Drivetrain
- Supra 5 Speed R154 Gearbox
- Ford 9” diff
- Drive axles
Organise a workshop to build the rear end up and install diff, etc
Stage Three: Installing Engine Prep
- custom Engine Mounts
- Braided Fuel Lines
- Braided Oil Lines
- Braided Brake Lines
- Remote Oil Relocation Kit
- Aluminium radiator
- Wiring Loom and Computer (Standard 1UZ loom)
Get engine bay ready for engine.
Stage Four: Gearbox Prep
- Cut Firewall
- Reweld Firewall/floorpan to fit Gearbox
Stage Five: Fuel System + Battery
- Fuel Cell
- External Fuel Pump
- Braided Lines to the engine
- RR FPR
- Boot Battery Installation
Stage Six: Install Engine
Stage Seven: Link It All Up
Stage Eight: Exhaust
- custom headers
- full Exhaust System out Twin Dumps (Legal Limit) Varex?
Stage Nine: Wheels And Suspension
- Billet Rims and tyres
- Widebody Guards
- Coilover suspension
- Replaced Linkages and bushes
- Front And Rear Strut Braces
Stage Ten: Basic Interior
- Racing seats
- Harnesses
- Custom Made Dash
- Half Cage

Stage Eleven: Getting It On The Road
- Engineers Approval
- Insurance
- Registration
Stage Twelve: Power Donk Prep
- 1UZFE Engine
- Disassemble and clean
- Degrease Block
- New Belts etc
Stage Thirteen: Bottom End
- Forged Pistons
- Forged Rods
- L16 Bolts
- ARP Main Studs
- Exhaust Match Ported
- Blueprinted block
Stage Fourteen: Heads
- Performance Lifters
- ARP Head Studs
- Performance Gaskets
- Ported Heads
- Stage IV Cams
Stage Fifteen: Supercharging
- Top Mount Supercharger
- Mounting Brackets
- Bonnet Modifications to suit
- Secondary injectors
Stage Sixteen: Ignition
- MSD Ignition System
- High Temp Plugs
- High Performance Leads
Stage Seventeen: Assembly
- Assemble Block, heads and Charger
- Install Ancillaries (Pumps, injectors, etc)
- New belts
Stage Twenty: Re-Strip
- Take out existing 1UZ
- Strip off all panels, etc
Stage Twenty One: Paint
- Remove all panels
- Prep All Surfaces
- Paint all surfaces
- Re-Assemble
Stage Twenty-Two: Install
- Install new Engine
- ECU Wiring and tune

My conversion was a piece of piss compared to what you are undertaking and i would never do mine again...just buy an Evo, it'll cost you less and be a shitload quicker :)

Have done some more research.

Found engineers fine with the whole FWD-RWD conversion... they have said no specific laws stopping me...

Am still trying to find a halfcut under $4k tho.. :(

Have talked to Tim at Bulletcars... Seems to be a helpful chap.. So thinking might be doing a fair amount of dealing with him pending prices...

My housemate is a mechanic, my partners father is a panel beater/welder and i work for a mitsubishi/toyota car dealership so i've got alot of backup on this one....

Anyone in Aus know of any halfcuts lying around for cheap? KMs are not an issue...

Its crazy what prices you guys have to pay for cars over there. You can pick up a good FTO over in NZ for a few hundred $$$ Where i live you can find them on peoples front lawns with grass growning round them. Nice idea about converting an FTO. Could be an idea to measure up how wide the front track is. (distance bewtween front wheels) and see if you can adapt something from a RWD car such as an E30/36 BMW etc. This way you wont mess up the suspension geometry etc.

i just wired up a v6 twin turbo from a 3000gt into an fto

it would be a much easier option as most stuff bolts in

anyway when doing such a big conversion fwd to rwd make

sure u plan for many unforscene things
ive been in the covnersion business for 15 years and nothing ever goes right

unless its a 4ag 20 into a corolla
they are the easiest conversion around