1UZ into Hiace 4WD Van

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stanp510

Hi,
Great site!
I want to install a 1UZ V8 into a 1992 4WD (hi/low ratio) Hiace van.
Do you know anyone who has done this. Is there anything major I need to know about, other than what is on this site re Hiace 2WD's and Hilux 4WD's
Stan

Hello

toyota did do it in their ambulances so it is possible. I think the only real issue would be the sump. Making a sump would solve this. We are in the process of planing our second hiace conversion and may make a sump for a 2wd so I will let you know how it goes. Cheers Kelvin

Great. Thanks for that. Am in the process of buying an engine and if the sump is not a problem then I can buy a front or centre sump and if necessary swap the headers for the Crown type. Cheers Stan

Hiace 4WD conversion

Hi,

Not sure, don't know anything about the Previa's. Imagine they are quiet different.
I am sourcing the transmission bits first. I want to go to taller diffs and a stronger box. Diff's look like they will be ok to source (4.1 ratio) but I am running into problems trying to get a stronger box as I need a box with the gear stick linkages on the side and I want to retain the high/low ratio option. Latter vans are constant 4wd and do not have low ratio.
Still unsure as to which sump configurations will fit my van. Cheers Stan

The toyota hiace ambulances have widder chassis rails than the normal hiaces , fitting a 1UZ into one is not as easy as it first looks. A frend has just done one, he thought he could get away with fitting a 1UZ and engine crossmember from an ambulance into his 1993 hiace, but nooo. Also had to chop away at the floor behind the fron seats. sump is very close to the ground aswell.

Mine fits in nice. Pictures are in here. Rear cover is unmodified and sump sits level with crossmember. Log headers or soarer exhaust manifolds fit. Mine had room for custom headers. I even have an A/c pump fitted. If a custom sump was made that reduced the overall engine height by about 25mm then the motor would go in very easily in a 2wd. V8Mx5 - is your mate Mad Mike? His does does nice burnouts. Seems to flick around rear quick. Cheers

Hi
My frends did the conversion for Mad Mike. I didnt look closely at the conversion, im just relaying at what ive seen. Im sure your right tho and the engine could be fitted in quite nicely. I dont know why mad mikes doesnt

If we where to compare how hard this conversion we could say it is easier than your 1uz Mx5, easier than a TT 1UZ caldina and easier than your latest navara Ute. It is a bit harder than a 1uz into a hilux.
STANP510 - have you seen the pictures of mine. If you are in Hamilton at some time you are welcome to come and have a look. Cheers

Thanks guys, I will take you up on the offer to view your van in Hamilton. Sure to help. Think I have your number written down somewhere. This weekend maybe?

4X4 Hiace

Hi just wondering how your conversion went as ive just purchased a 4x4 with hi lo and realy want to do the same. Did you run into any problems other than whats above. Sounds like a mean idea.

Dizzy

The member that posted here never finished the conversion. It has since been sold on trade me and gone to the hawkes bay. The new owner rang me for advice the other day. Still has a few things to sort but it will get there. Cheers