1UZ into a '83 NA porsche 944?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Phil Vollmer

Hi guys,

Newby here, but I have wanted to put a v-8 into a 944 for a long time, but I always wanted something a little more exclusive than a Chevy 350. How is your project progressing?

Hi Guys,

Another Newbie here!

I too am interested to know how the 944 swap is going as I joined specifically to research the same project.

In addition can anyone confirm the 1UZ size. I read else where it is a 650mm cube, yet someone on here posted it is a 700mm cube? It is important as the 944 only has about 700mm clearance so it will be tight. Yes the 944 has had Small Block Chevy conversions which fit, however these pushrod motors have much smaller and narrower heads as they don't carry the complex valvetrain that the 1UZ does.

Cheers all.

Mark (UK)

yeah i know how that is... sometimes i wish the 1uz was a 60 degree V instead of the 90... would sure make it alot more friendly for conversions....

The lenght from the gearbox flange to the front of the fanbelt pulley is 67 cm, the lenght from the gearbox flange to the front of the thermostatic housing is 71 cm.

It is also 67 cm wide over the valve covers. The stock exhaust manifolds is a tight fit, they are narrower than the valve covers.

Regards

Trond

PS: The engine in the 944 leans at an angle, so I think the Lexus should fit without a problem, ref my Sierra conversion.

944 conversion

Hi Guys, the 944 uses the Audi 016 gearbox with a torque tube attached to the front of it, im not sure where the clutch ends up, the gear set is similar to 016 audi but with better ratios , have alook at posts on gt40s.com there has been disscussions on that topic. also some ratio info here http://www.2gmotorsports.com/trans_gears2.pdf

Regards
Lambo

MARCO said:
GO TO
http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/Pic17.jpg
THIS SHOWS YOU THAT IT SHOULD BE AN EASY EXCERSIZE.

HOPE IT HELPS.
Cheers Marco, that link was bloody handy.

For those who don't know the Porsche order of transferring motion goes;

flywheel, clutch in bell housing, bolted to flanged torque tube which is a metre long or so, to another smaller style bell which bolts to the 'box, diff and axles in the back.

In other words, no I don't want a Supra box as that will be upfront and the whole reason I chose the Porker is that the splitting of the box to the rear of the car gives a superbly neutral handling car.

I can't wait to gut it, sort the suspension and wedge in the 1UZ and then go and kill some 10 times more expensive 911's on track! ha ha

I thought it would be easier the way you have it now. Your gearbox is also pretty strong, and I would not change your current set-up. I often work on Porsche's, mainly 911 & 930's, and the odd 928 & 944. I've looked at these things, and often conversions cross my mind. Most of my porsche info I get from Wayne at Pelican Parts. They are very helpfull.
Good luck, and you are always welcome.

Hey Marco, just realised there's some one else here who's atleast near to my time zone!!!! :)

Bloody Yanks are just going getting up, and the Antipodeans just going to bed ... errr....tomorrow or something, when I'm on here! ha ha

Only joking Guys as some of you must be night hawks as I get some pretty quick responses. ;)

By the way what time zone is this site running on? US Pacific Time?

Cheers
M

MARCO said:
Howzit, Im actually in Japan now. I work for Toyota Motor Corporation. Going back to South Africa end of the month after 2 years here.

Cheers

Mail me at : [email protected]
if you wish.
Japan! Now you've really confused me. So it's next Tuesday's lunch time for you... or is Sunday breakfast?????? ;) ha ha

As a Toyota employee you must be the man to know. Will keep in touch.

Cheers

Mark

So Marco are the you the Toyota man who has to report back to Head Office so Toyota can finally get production UZ's up and roaring?

No,
I work at the assembly plant for Lexus and others in Tahara.
I dont think I could get anybody up and roaring there.
Very strict on any info here, but I have seen a lot here in Japan.

Cheers
Marco

There is a company here is Australia, Volks Conversions in Queensland that makes Adaptor plates for all VW gearboxes to almost any engine.

I would say that he has already made the adaptor kit your after. That is if the 924 is a rear mount engine...

He has a kit for my '79 Kombi 4spd gearbox to suit a 1uzfe for sale for ($AU)$690.00 + freight. The kit includes a modified flywheel, adaptor plate and all bolts needed to fit the kit. Nothing else needed

Thanks fozee but Porsche 924,944,968 & 928 are all front engined watercooled engines with rear mounted gearboxes.

Porsche 944 Lexus V8

Hi guys, coming from a 924/944 background I think I can help.

944 Drivetrain:
Engine (1/2 928 V8) 2.5l 4 cyl WATERCOOLED
Torque Tube with 25mmdia driveshaft down the middle carried by 4 bearings
Gearbox: Audi 5 speed, but beefed up, with luck with LSD.

For the conversion:
Suspension - Koni adjustable shocks all round and uprated bushes, coilover psrings upfront (Look at renegade hybrids for more info)
Torque tube: VW pattern does not fit for the box/bellhousing. Audi Pattern. Look at kits for GT40 cars (Flywheels, adaptor clutches). They use this box in most kits, and it is unbreakable (a 600 hp racecar in South Africa is running with one that I helped with, no problem) - Do not use the 944 Clutch - Rubber centre.............
Steering: Power steering might be a problem if on the car. Either fit a standard rack (based on Super Beetle/ Golf Mk1 (rabbit))
Brakes etc. come right off the 911 / 928 and can handle the power/speed no problem.
Weight distribution should not be much of a proble. To help move battery to the boot (the left hand side boot bin is more than big enough) or be hightech and put two aircraft batteries in the back, one in each bin.

Enjoy!