1uz into 67 Hr Holden

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

t671200

picked up a cheap damaged soarer sc400 and will be transplanting the engine and box into my 67 HR Special sedan also using the front stub axle assembly from the soarer and a Skyline borg warner 3.7 LSD preliminary fitting I almost crapped myself as the engine sat too far off the firewall about 3" too far due to the wiper motor so the engine came out and all discrepencies marked to be cut out of the way then it went back in fitted much better and the crossmember was notched will be using a CRS modified front mount torana rack when it finally turns up so it will be positioned first then the mounts will be made gearbox mount is almost in the same position so just a matter of modifying the holden mount to accept the toyota rubber mount. this is my daily or side tracker as my wife calls it from my Datsun 1200 ute project i'll post pics of both. the last pic hints at whats in stall for the old girl you see i have a few left overs or as you could call them cheap impulse buys in the form of a 600x450x80mm intercooler a heap of CA turbo injectors from the datto an e-bay t70 turbo 40 mm wastegate and an EMS should be fun the only problem so far is the rubber donut on the 1uz box but having a complete 1jz setup lying around i noticed they use a normal yoke anyone done this before eg swapping bellhousings to use a 1j box are electrics the same .

Nick.

My HR

plenty of room in front of the engine stock exhuast manifolds fit the second last pipe just clears the rail may need some caressing to be pursuaded just had to cut the huge cat flanges off to get them on they are best put on from under the car as it is very narrow between the rails 21" to be exact . I honestly think the Datto has more room .

Hi Nick and welcome.
Great project youve got going there. Ive done a similar conversion.
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2177
It was a tight fit in mine. I would have thought that a hr would be even narrower than a ht in the engine bay chasis rails.
Good luck with it all. You will find all the answers about 1uz conversions at this site.

Attachments

• 340i dynosheet.jpg
    340i dynosheet.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 21
looks great, should go well...
I have just decieded to do this conversion in my EH...
Unsure whether to use the front mounted rack or the rear one yet...
i have heard the rear is the way to go but i wouldnt have a clue....

Rack

I have used the CRS modified torana rack as it is front mounted it fits and someone has done all the hard yakka on figuring out the angles for bump steer etc I got a kit that was purchased from e-bay it was missing a few bits but the price was good and it came with the necessary bits to convert just need to get some torana steering universals might actually keep it column drive too .

Nick.

Progress

modified the original headers to fit between the narrow rails gained almost an inch by tucking them in towards the rear the rack is mounted the drivers side header is a bit tighter to allow clearance for the steering shaft I will be keeping the column drive as well .

Nick.

Progress

still trying to get the placement of the column right as factory it is a little offset so by straightening it's alignment I also gained more exhaust clearance , also bought some Commodore discs 300 mm by 30 mm and 2 piston calipers and some billet steel hubs in 4.75" stud pattern as I found some wheels that will suit the look of the car and are a good size being 17" x 8" , A new 7" booster and some exhaust goodies the engine mounts are almost done bar some braces and shaping , the gearbox crossmember is also done and only needs the holes drilled hoping to get it going in the next month . Bought some old Smiths gauges out of a MG they suit the car quite well and the bonus is the redline begins at 6000 rpm and runs a 4 cylinder signal.

Nick.

Score

Also forgot to mention scored a crown auto gearbox from my uncle who has a Eaton M90 powered soarer , so tailshaft will be a no brainer now just had to swap the bellhousing as for some reason the crowns are on a slight tilt why ?

Nick.

The Crown is on a slight tilt to clear the steering box and squeeze it between the chassis rails.

You can use a Soarer UZ1 (I think) bellhousing and the trans will sit level.

Looks a good fit and should perform well.

New wheels

bought some new wheels They were any e-bay purchase quite cheap as no -one else bid on them They are Starcorp Impul 18"x8.5" and 18"x9.5" they are commodore offset and I have done the car to suit a 4.75" stud or as we know as HQ pattern they are 38p offset rims but with the use of an adapter which takes the stud from 120.65mm to a 120mm commodore stud the adaptors are 30mm so they sit almost spot on and being white centre's they match the white roof .

Nick.

steering

Hey mate where didi you get your steering intermediate shafts from? and also, what type of bearing setup are you going to use in the end of the steering column?
cheers

Hi Nick
Very nice conversion you are doing there, should be a sweet ride when its completed. Out of curiosity where did you get the billet steel hubs from, I would like to get a set my Coupe.

cheers Mike

Out of curiosity where did you get the billet steel hubs from, I would like to get a set my Coupe.

They look like the hub adaptors that are used in the vt brake upgrade kits.Got a set on the vl,brought them from Neil at race brakes here in Perth all though hes is no longer around.

hubs

From MR Spares on E-bay sorry for my ignorance he was quite welcoming in selling the hubs from the kit seperately as Hoppers was not he wanted to make a big sale but in the other guys instance he got my money instead ,as i still have to make my own caliper brackets and upon further investigation the VE rotors i got are not to favourable in disc offset , a Ba/Bf ford XR6turbo/XR8 DBA part #42107 being 322mm in dia is a much more favourable offset and makes the caliper bracket very straight forward on the HQ hubs / Stubs as it has a 68mm offset which is basically a flat piece of steel . ( don't want to buy a set of VE rotors machined to suit a HQ hub ) but seriously it's all fun making this crap the datto was fairly easy to do the brakes on this don't seem that bad either .

Nick.

Steering

The shafts are some 9/16" steel bar I bought 6 metres of it it was a special order as everyone only sell / stocks metric stuff these days it was about $35 from memory the bearing setup is yet to be finalised but it will consist of a bush to alow the column drive to slide in and a bearing at the end don't want a floor shifter as the bench will still alow 3 in front if it's too much of a head F#%* then a floor shift it will be but I am quitely confident it will work.

Nick.